The Student Room Group

University of Glasgow A100 2021 Entry

Welcome to the University of Glasgow A100 2021 Entry Discussion.

Glasgow A100 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6022514

For general information click: https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicine/

For entry requirements click: https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicine/#/a-levels

Glasgow Medicine 2021 Offer holders' thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6897876

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hihi everyone! I'll be a first year Medical Student at the University of Glasgow in a month! Happy to help with any questions that you might have!

《About me》

🌱Aislyn

🌱18

🌱International Student

All the best in everyone's applications!!💫
Original post by Aislynnnn
Hihi everyone! I'll be a first year Medical Student at the University of Glasgow in a month! Happy to help with any questions that you might have!

《About me》

🌱Aislyn

🌱18

🌱International Student

Hi Aislyn,

Congratulations on getting a place at Glasgow!

I'm applying for 2021 entry with a pharmacology degree (I'm currently at Glasgow uni)

Can I ask if you done the UCAT? and if so what your score was?

Thanks
Original post by NicoleDV
Hi Aislyn,

Congratulations on getting a place at Glasgow!

I'm applying for 2021 entry with a pharmacology degree (I'm currently at Glasgow uni)

Can I ask if you done the UCAT? and if so what your score was?

Thanks

Hi my son is also starting medicine this year. He had a UCAT score of 3150 (RUK entry). Last year Glasgow did not take account SJT score as he had a band 4.
Reply 4
Original post by Aislynnnn

《About me》

🌱Aislyn

🌱18

🌱International Student

Hi Aislyn, I just wanted to double check that after meeting the minimum academic requirements, interview selection at Glasgow is 100% UCAT score based? And would a score of 3150 in the UCAT practically guarantee me an interview (assuming I meet the minimum academic requirements)? And I know that they say the SJT is not used but I was wondering if this was true for the entire application process and that it isn't combined with interview score (bit worried as I got a band 3)?
Original post by ba869
Hi Aislyn, I just wanted to double check that after meeting the minimum academic requirements, interview selection at Glasgow is 100% UCAT score based? And would a score of 3150 in the UCAT practically guarantee me an interview (assuming I meet the minimum academic requirements)? And I know that they say the SJT is not used but I was wondering if this was true for the entire application process and that it isn't combined with interview score (bit worried as I got a band 3)?

Hi I am not related to Aislyn. I only replied because Aislyn started the discussion but had not replied to Nicole after 5 days. They don't consider SJT at all throughout the application. 3150 is a high score but it depends upon the year's cohort. This year I understand the lowest is 2680
Hi!

I’m hoping to apply to Glasgow as a graduate applicant. I have a 2.1 BSc in Medicinal Chemistry and should have finished my PhD in pharmaceutics in July 2021. UCAT is 742.5 B1, does anyone know how Glasgow select for interview for graduates? Is it just UCAT ranking after minimum academic requirements are met?

Thanks!
Original post by ChemGirl95
Hi!

I’m hoping to apply to Glasgow as a graduate applicant. I have a 2.1 BSc in Medicinal Chemistry and should have finished my PhD in pharmaceutics in July 2021. UCAT is 742.5 B1, does anyone know how Glasgow select for interview for graduates? Is it just UCAT ranking after minimum academic requirements are met?

Thanks!

Hello! Very impressive that's amazing :smile: Yes that's correct graduates are selected in the same way that everyone else is and I believe they offer people with the highest 10% of UCAT scores which will vary depending on that years cohort. (I think)
Reply 8
Original post by messy accountant
Hi I am not related to Aislyn. I only replied because Aislyn started the discussion but had not replied to Nicole after 5 days. They don't consider SJT at all throughout the application. 3150 is a high score but it depends upon the year's cohort. This year I understand the lowest is 2680

Thanks for the reply. Would it be possible for you to confirm that Glasgow only uses academics as a minimum for screening purposes? So if I exceed their minimum requirements it wouldn't be of any advantage to me?
Hello! Very impressive that's amazing :smile: Yes that's correct graduates are selected in the same way that everyone else is and I believe they offer people with the highest 10% of UCAT scores which will vary depending on that years cohort. (I think)

Amazing, thank you very much for your help!
Original post by ba869
Thanks for the reply. Would it be possible for you to confirm that Glasgow only uses academics as a minimum for screening purposes? So if I exceed their minimum requirements it wouldn't be of any advantage to me?

They mainly use UCAT but according to their website they take a holistic approach
Original post by ba869

Anything above 2700 is pretty much guaranteed an interview at Glasgow considering you meet the academic criteria. You're basically competing with the rest of the applicants for interview by raw UCAT score.

Where did you get this info from?
Original post by AgnosticHaruspex
Where did you get this info from?

I can’t remember the website it had a document for all uni’s and the scores in which they offer interviews to and it was summed up saying the highest and lowest scores for Glasgow over the past 3 years I believe which mainly fell within the top 10% range. It could be incorrect just sharing what I’ve read :smile: as I say it did state it varies depending on the cohort

also to add: thats to guarantee an interview obviously people who are below the top scores get interviews too as some years scores have ranged extensively from the lowest to highest :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
I can’t remember the website it had a document for all uni’s and the scores in which they offer interviews to and it was summed up saying the highest and lowest scores for Glasgow over the past 3 years I believe which mainly fell within the top 10% range. It could be incorrect just sharing what I’ve read :smile: as I say it did state it varies depending on the cohort

also to add: thats to guarantee an interview obviously people who are below the top scores get interviews too as some years scores have ranged extensively from the lowest to highest :smile:

Glasgow clearly publish their past cut offs. It is usually around upper 8th decile
https://www.gla.ac.uk/media/Media_475041_smxx.pdf

Ah cool that's interesting. I was 88th percentile and got interview & offer so it's maybe a little more than 10% like ganfyd suggests 😊
Original post by AgnosticHaruspex
Ah cool that's interesting. I was 88th percentile and got interview & offer so it's maybe a little more than 10% like ganfyd suggests 😊

Thats amazing congrats! thanks for giving me the info :smile:
Thats amazing congrats! thanks for giving me the info :smile:

No worries, happy to help. Good luck with your application :smile:

To give an exact number - my son was scored 2710 last year (82nd percentile) and was invited pretty quickly for the December interview round.

Hope that helps - all the best!
Glasgow are very clear in their application process, and share that info during open days. They only tick off minimum requirements and then pick 800/900 best UCAT scores from applications and invite them for interviews. After that, only interview performance matters. They publish their data, including cut off scores from UCAT from previous years. Last two years it was 2680 and 2650.

I’ll be applying this year for 2022 deferred entry. BSc (Hons) Biomedicine 2.1 (2016), MSc Stratified Medicine and Pharmacological Innovation (with Merit; 2017). UCAT 2750, B1.

Glasgow is a great uni, did my MSc there and really liked it :smile:

Latest