The Student Room Group

University of Liverpool 789S 2021 entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys,
Im hopefully planning to apply for entry Sept 21. Anyone knows how tough it is to get in? Like how many guys generally get invited to interview and how many get accepted?
I didnt complete my gcses so taking some now... Gonna need to apply for conditional offer, but getting a 6 shouldn't be that hard.
Has anyone got an interview offer or any response from them?
Reply 22
Original post by Effyd123
Hi guys,
Im hopefully planning to apply for entry Sept 21. Anyone knows how tough it is to get in? Like how many guys generally get invited to interview and how many get accepted?
I didnt complete my gcses so taking some now... Gonna need to apply for conditional offer, but getting a 6 shouldn't be that hard.

I doubt you would be shortlisted for the interview if you don't have your GCSE at the point of application.

Roughly 60 people get invited for interview and between 20 to 30 get accepted.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by mazajibols
Has anyone got an interview offer or any response from them?

Too early for that as the application is still open until 15 January 2021.

Interview could be between March and April 2021.
Reply 24
Original post by SandiyG
Thank you 😊 just looking into it for 2021entry.

SandyG, have you applied or do you still intend to apply for this course?
Hi!
Just trying to find anyone who's applying for the medicine year 0 course 2021 entry??
Reply 26
I am! Still working on my personal statement but hoping to submit before the end of this year. How are you getting on?
Reply 27
Original post by SHOWEY
SandyG, have you applied or do you still intend to apply for this course?

I have indeed applied.
Reply 28
Original post by SandiyG
I have indeed applied.

That's great: I wish you all the very best!
Reply 29
Original post by SHOWEY
That's great: I wish you all the very best!

Thank you so much 😊 Please give us some insight into how the course has been for you so far.
I will also be applying in the next couple days, fingers crossed for everyone!
Reply 31
Original post by CompMed
I will also be applying in the next couple days, fingers crossed for everyone!

Awh nice. Fingers crossed. What’s your background if you don’t mind me asking.
Original post by SandiyG
Awh nice. Fingers crossed. What’s your background if you don’t mind me asking.

No problem at all, so I wanted to get into medicine throughout school but due to mental health I dropped out of A levels. I pursued an apprenticeship in IT, then joined a large consultancy company and began a CompSci degree. Throughout this I was researching Artificial Intelligence and I saw its incredible applications in Medicine and began doing a lot of courses in how AI can detect cancers etc. In February this year I underwent double jaw surgery and that process just showed me that no matter what I had to get myself into medicine and in the operating room. I searched around for other routes (I was planning on GEM) but them came across this and it was exactly what I had been looking for! So fingers crossed!
Reply 33
Original post by CompMed
No problem at all, so I wanted to get into medicine throughout school but due to mental health I dropped out of A levels. I pursued an apprenticeship in IT, then joined a large consultancy company and began a CompSci degree. Throughout this I was researching Artificial Intelligence and I saw its incredible applications in Medicine and began doing a lot of courses in how AI can detect cancers etc. In February this year I underwent double jaw surgery and that process just showed me that no matter what I had to get myself into medicine and in the operating room. I searched around for other routes (I was planning on GEM) but them came across this and it was exactly what I had been looking for! So fingers crossed!

Wow very interesting. I’ve been seeing these new degrees in artificial intelligence and always wondered about them. Your last sentence sums up how I felt when I found it too ☺️ When things are meant for you they will find away to get to you.
Original post by CompMed

Just out of interest, would you not want to go for regular undergrad medicine? I know GEM is very competitive but undergrad with a degree is less... And since you would have to self-finance, another whole year less is a massive difference....

I mean, the idea of this course is for people who lack qualifications and wouldnt be able to get into medicine any other way....
...I know GEM is very competitive but undergrad with a degree is less..

Not your point of the post but I wanted to add that this year grads applying to A100 face much harder competition too.

Just look at the Barts A100 and SGUL A100 threads and you see grads being rejected left, right and centre (with very high UCAT scores).

Post originally created by ecolier.
Thats true. Im just saying that this course is meant for people who have no other way to get into medicine, with no a levels and only a minimum of GCSEs, and they only take 12 medics. I think that they might not even consider taking him seeing as he has other paths into medicine
Reply 37
Original post by SandiyG
Thank you so much 😊 Please give us some insight into how the course has been for you so far.

It is a great course: I am enjoying it and the tutors are very helpful. The only downside I have noticed is the fact that the first semester has been done virtually due to COVID-19. It is slightly tricky for adult/mature learners who have been out of education for a while to learn that way. But, it is what it is and just as mentioned earlier, the tutors are doing a great job despite the fact that it is equally uncharted territory for them too.

Overall, it is a great!

Let me know if you have further questions.
Reply 38
Original post by CompMed

You have a great drive for this, go for it and I wish you the very best! Needless to say, ensure you reflect yourself experience with the NHS in your personal statement.
Reply 39
Just out of interest, would you not want to go for regular undergrad medicine? I know GEM is very competitive but undergrad with a degree is less... And since you would have to self-finance, another whole year less is a massive difference....

I mean, the idea of this course is for people who lack qualifications and wouldnt be able to get into medicine any other way....

Just out of curiosity, did you miss the bit where they mentioned that they don't have A levels? That automatically makes them eligible. Furthermore, if one has been out of education for a while, they are classified as adult/mature learner, hence, they are eligible to apply.

Entry into this course is assessed on a case by case basis as I know of many with previous degree(s) in my cohort.
I equally have two (2) previous degrees and I am on the course. Each individual's case is different and it is considered as such.

CompMed, please, do not be dissuaded of your dream; stick to it and you would hit your target!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending