The Student Room Group

University of Nottingham A108 2021 Entry

Welcome to the University of Nottingham A108 (Medicine with a Foundation Year) 2021 Entry Discussion.

Nottingham A108 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6022598

For general information click: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/study/medicine/faq/a108-selection.aspx

For entry requirements click: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/Medicine-with-a-Foundation-Year-(Nottingham-and-Derby-pathway)-BMedSci+and+BMBS

Nottingham Medicine Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6936604

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Can you apply for the foundation year as a mature student? I.e. 27yrs old with no science related a levels?
Reply 2
Original post by QazIbnMAli
Can you apply for the foundation year as a mature student? I.e. 27yrs old with no science related a levels?

You probably need to ask them.

They state: All candidates are considered on an individual basis and we accept a broad range of qualifications.

Make sure you also meet the criteria listed here: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/applying/contextual-offers.aspx

Post originally created by ecolier.
Thank you!!!
I don’t meet the gcse requirements for the normal A100 course so I should be eligible for the A108 course right?
And I’m eligible for the contextual thing due to my postcode

My stats
A level BBB achieved (resitting my a levels but my original already meet their requirements so I don’t think they should care too much about my resit)
Gcse 88777666BB
Ucat - 805 band 1

I should be eligible right?
So I checked the scoring system and I got 41/56. I got 2390 and band 3 on my UCAT. I got above 600 on all sections apart from VR which was very disappointing as I usually got 700’s in my medify mock. Also I’m considering applying to Nottingham Foundation Medicine and I’m eligible for this but idk if 41/56 points is enough?
Reply 6
Original post by studybuddy1302
So I checked the scoring system and I got 41/56. I got 2390 and band 3 on my UCAT. I got above 600 on all sections apart from VR which was very disappointing as I usually got 700’s in my medify mock. Also I’m considering applying to Nottingham Foundation Medicine and I’m eligible for this but idk if 41/56 points is enough?

You could have a look at 2020 entry A108 nottingham forum, which could give you an idea on how many points/ the minimum needed for an interview. But I'm not too sure on its usefulness for this year's application due to the effects of students deferring entry and the number of places available on the course. Also are you sure you've calculated it right as you may have used the normal scoring system rather than the foundation scoring system as the foundation one I believe is out of 58 not 56.

I think based on 2020 you would be okay but this year there is a lot of factors that could affect the number of applicants taken in, but hopefully you will be okay with those points.
Original post by Kearatayl
I think based on 2020 you would be okay but this year there is a lot of factors that could affect the number of applicants taken in, but hopefully you will be okay with those points.

Thank you so much hopefully I can :smile:
Reply 9
Looking to apply to both Lincoln and nott for the 6 year
My calculated GCSES score= 17 out of 18
Ucat score=28
Band 2= 2
I’m sure that’s 48 out of 56, I saw on another thread 2019s highest score was 47

Another large concern I have is the postcode calculator on the website says it’s based on 2019 data, and your eligiblity will be checked at the time of making an offer. Can you advise if the postcode/ quintile index’s will have likely to stay the same
Original post by Koala3
Looking to apply to both Lincoln and nott for the 6 year
My calculated GCSES score= 17 out of 18
Ucat score=28
Band 2= 2
I’m sure that’s 48 out of 56, I saw on another thread 2019s highest score was 47

Another large concern I have is the postcode calculator on the website says it’s based on 2019 data, and your eligiblity will be checked at the time of making an offer. Can you advise if the postcode/ quintile index’s will have likely to stay the same

U got 47 not 48. It’s best to email the university to ask them about the postcode
Reply 11
You will be awarded points for each grade you achieve at GCSE level for your highest six subjects. This will include the compulsory subjects of the sciences, English language and maths. A maximum of 18 points can be awarded.

Grade

8 or 9 (A*)-3

7 (A)-2

6 (B)-1

UCAT Score

801 to 900-9

701 to 800-8

601 to 700-7

501 to 600-6

401 to 500-5

301 to 400-4

Situational Judgement Test
SJT Band

Band 1-4

Band 2-2

Band 3-1

Band 4-0
Hope this helps everyone!
Original post by KD02
You will be awarded points for each grade you achieve at GCSE level for your highest six subjects. This will include the compulsory subjects of the sciences, English language and maths. A maximum of 18 points can be awarded.

Grade

8 or 9 (A*)-3

7 (A)-2

6 (B)-1

UCAT Score

801 to 900-9

701 to 800-8

601 to 700-7

501 to 600-6

401 to 500-5

301 to 400-4

Situational Judgement Test
SJT Band

Band 1-4

Band 2-2

Band 3-1

Band 4-0
Hope this helps everyone!

Hi is 42 a safe score for the foundation course?
Reply 13
Hi is 42 a safe score for the foundation course?

Hey, due to the competitive nature of medicine, I couldn't tell you if your score is safe as well as the fact that so many things happened this year. but If i speak from last year's statistics cutoff was 38-40. Of course this varies from year to year.
Reply 14
do u think 39 is an okay score for the foundation year medicine
Original post by KD02
Hey, due to the competitive nature of medicine, I couldn't tell you if your score is safe as well as the fact that so many things happened this year. but If i speak from last year's statistics cutoff was 38-40. Of course this varies from year to year.

Ok thank you, hopefully it will be enough for this year
Hi, anyone does know if I can apply with AAB prediction but originally getting a 5 in GCSE english language? (I have resit since then to get a 6)
Reply 17
Original post by nvijayan
Hi, anyone does know if I can apply with AAB prediction but originally getting a 5 in GCSE english language? (I have resit since then to get a 6)

I just looked to check but they don’t accept GCSE resits
‘We do not accept any GCSE resits.’
However you could always email/ring up to double check.
Reply 18
Original post by nvijayan

I think you still can as long as you have 5 GCSEs at 6 or above. The scoring points on the application you have to work it out yourself but it will count 6 GCSEs which will be your top GCSEs but has to include the sciences and English Lang and maths. As your English Lang is below a 6 which can’t be scored, I think you only score yourself for 5 GCSEs. Do email or call the uni to check but I believe you should still be able to apply.
guys is 48/56 a good score for foundation med, I got ABB already so I’m reapplying this year, let’s hope it goes well!

Quick Reply