Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget that perfectionism has good points, and it's driving you to achieve things might not otherwise have. Sure there's a ton of bad traits that come with it (constant unhappiness, procrastination, being judgemental, whatever), but you can control them.

But never, ever quit. Don't let the fear of "failure" (because I think you're bound to do well) control you. You're going to have to learn this lesson at some point, and there will always be someone better than you. Otherwise you'll end up dropping out of uni for being on track for a 2:1 instead of a First, or maybe something worse.

You can tell yourself that you didn't get all the prizes because you left early, but you'll know deep down that's not the reason. Rationally, you're giving up an opportunity (and free money!) just so you can shield yourself from failure. Yeah, you probably won't win them all, but you can at least make an effort.

Sorry if this sounds preachy, but I think I get it.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfghjkl123456789)
    i know where you're coming from, i know i can't always be best. surely though, if i could say in future to an employer if they enquired about this (if they cared enough...), after seeing all prizes 3rd and 4th year, no prizes 5th year:
    "well...i decided to leave school early, so that i could use my time more productively. i already had the qualifications, so i left so i could concentrate on a job. i may have been good enough for prizes, as you can see from the As."
    this is better than:
    "well, my work slipped a bit when i got into 5th year. i couldn't keep up with the pace", or some other pathetic excuse about "bad tests".
    You can easily say that. You'll get away with it, too. You'll even feel you wasted time thinking up something to say in case they asked.

But let's take that 2% statistic (which I know you can be a part of if you try). You can't escape the qualifications next year, and if it goes badly, you might end up with a B. And you can't fob that one off nearly as easily.

Anyway, as long as you agree that at some time you'll have to admit to yourself that it's impossible to keep a perfect track record*, that's fine. The sooner you do it, though, the less pressure you'll feel, the easier it will be to deal with "failure", you'll have a better personality and be generally happier. I promise!

Stay in school - the end of year will be more relaxed, and will give you a boost for S6. The prizes won't be a big deal, you'll get some money, parents will be proud, friends will still be friends. Whether you win lots of awards or only a few, you'll probably be unhappy, but the same goes for if you leave early.

The consolation for that is to find happiness elsewhere, not in academia.

--
    *: Assuming right now you still think you have one, and avoiding the prizes is a way to extend it.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.