The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Laboromniavincit
was the cutoff 47 this year?

Please read the comments above for guidance.
I got an A* in Further Mathematics in Year 11 but it's an AQA Level 2 Certificate. Will they use this in the scoring system?
Original post by xsowmix
I got an A* in Further Mathematics in Year 11 but it's an AQA Level 2 Certificate. Will they use this in the scoring system?

I suggest you ring admissions to confirm. Last year they didn't accept a level 2 AQA EPQ.
Original post by xsowmix

I had the exact same question as you last year. I emailed them and they said maybe but they don't lol. I've just worked out my score without it to be safe.
Reply 24
GCSE 9 eng lite,9chem,9bio,8phy,8maths,8RS,7fren,7his,6elect,6eng lang
UCAT607.5 Band2

what will be my score or where to find calculate my score? what was cut off for lincoln-nottingham
Reply 25
Original post by khangee
GCSE 9 eng lite,9chem,9bio,8phy,8maths,8RS,7fren,7his,6elect,6eng lang
UCAT607.5 Band2

what will be my score or where to find calculate my score? what was cut off for lincoln-nottingham

Check out the website
Nottingham's was around 46 last year and Lincoln 34, but it was Lincoln's first year, so likely to have gone up a bit
Reply 26
For those wanting to calculate their score out of 56 for A100 Nottingham pathway please see below. There is thr link on their website however many people ask on the forums what is my score?. It is a combination of GCSE and UCAT. What is the Cut Off? Nottingham states "Interviews are offered to the top percentage of candidates based on their final scores.

We do not have a fixed UCAT threshold score when selecting for interview. The score threshold is based on the number of applicants and varies from year to year."

Hopefully this post will quickly enable those interested in Nottingham to calculate their score quickly. The UCAT score is the 4 cognitive areas plus a score for SJT.
Their standard offer is AAA and AAB if contextual (see their website to determine if you are contextual).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 27
I am going through the Nottingham prospectus and really like the idea of the 2nd degree (BMedSci) in the 3rd year on the way to the BMBS.

My question is: how is the BMedSci viewed after graduation by the people we're trying to get jobs with? Is it viewed as an intercalated degree or just a Nottingham add on that doesn't mean much? Are Nottingham Med graduates more employable with the BMedSci?
Original post by JoTheM
I am going through the Nottingham prospectus and really like the idea of the 2nd degree (BMedSci) in the 3rd year on the way to the BMBS.

Southampton does the same, so make sure you check them out as well.

My question is: how is the BMedSci viewed after graduation by the people we're trying to get jobs with?

Better than nothing, and slightly worse than a proper intercalated BSc.

Is it viewed as an intercalated degree or just a Nottingham add on that doesn't mean much?

As above, for specialty applications you get a score that's somewhere between 0 and the score for an intercalated BSc, usually half way.

Are Nottingham Med graduates more employable with the BMedSci?

All medical graduates are employable... it's just for competition purposes for specialty training. No doctor goes willingly, involuntarily unemployed.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Reply 29
Great - thanks for the speedy reply. Are there stats anywhere that show the rough percentage of each graduating year of Med Students in the UK who have an intercalated degree?
Original post by JoTheM
Great - thanks for the speedy reply. Are there stats anywhere that show the rough percentage of each graduating year of Med Students in the UK who have an intercalated degree?

I don't have that data, but have a look at the BMA's guide to intercalation and maybe you'll spot something in their references?

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-support/studying-medicine/becoming-a-doctor/intercalated-degrees

Post originally created by ecolier.
Reply 31
I really appreciate your help - thank you.
Reply 32
Just for everyone's info.... I have been Googling and comparing data numbers and it seems that around 25 to 30 % of UK medics graduate with an intercalated degree.
Will the pre interview cutoff score be lower for applicants meeting contextual criteria (and is there any evidence of this)

The Notts website says:
'Some courses include an interview or test as part of the entry requirements. You will need to pass this before we can make you a contextual offer.
Our admissions staff know that applicants have different access to opportunities and support. They will consider this when assessing your application, qualifications, tests and interviews.:'

If notts do lower the cutoff for contextuals ill definitely apply. Ive heard rumours of contextual people with scores as low as 44 getting interviews in previous years, which of course is very encouraging.
Heya, I have GCSE’s that give me a points score of 15 and then my UCAT came out a lot lower than expected of 2440 and b1. This gives me a score of 45 do you think this is enough for Nottingham. My predictions are AAA and I have completed work experience and have a job as a carer
Once through to interview, will offers be made purely based on interview score?

- susan
Reply 36
Original post by susanboils
Once through to interview, will offers be made purely based on interview score?

- susan

Yes, although they may use other things in a tiebreak situation
Hi,
Would I get an interview with 47 points this year?
Reply 38
Original post by Saahi25453
Hi,
Would I get an interview with 47 points this year?

Nobody knows yet. You would have done last year, but deciles are not out yet and there is the unknown factor of forced deferrals from this year and places held for resits that may push cut offs up
Original post by GANFYD
Nobody knows yet. You would have done last year, but deciles are not out yet and there is the unknown factor of forced deferrals from this year and places held for resits that may push cut offs up

Okay thanks for the advice

Latest