The Student Room Group

PGDE - Scotland 2021 Applicants Thread!

Bit early but good to get the ball rolling..

Where are people applying? Who will be your reference?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Hibernian1875

I'm probably going to be using my academic advisor as I haven't had a recent job or classroom experience and I know it is probably required that they know you in an academic or professional context, I know this is definitely the case for at least one of the places I'm applying for. I'm definitely applying for Strathclyde, Glasgow and UWS I'm just not sure which two I'm picking out of Dundee, Aberdeen and UHI.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Chemiss
I'm probably going to be using my academic advisor as I haven't had a recent job or classroom experience and I know it is probably required that they know you in an academic or professional context, I know this is definitely the case for at least one of the places I'm applying for.

I plan on applying for 2021 but it all depends on a few things getting sorted out. The council I work for has my hob down as a cut for next year but not sure when it will actually happen.

I hope to apply to Glasgow, Strathclyde and UWS for the Hamilton campus.

I work in a high school so will probably use my depute as a reference - I work with her on primary transition projects.

I have been out of uni for 12 years and have a 2:1 honours degree and a PGDip, I have also just signed up for the Access to Maths course with Aberdeen University as need my Nat 5.

What is everyone else's background?
Reply 3

Hey!

I'm planning to apply for Primary for 2021, definitely for Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde - not sure about the other two. I'm a bit worried they wont accept my experience though. I've been a full time homeroom teacher in private kindergartens and primary schools in Asia for 3 years now, but I'm not sure if they'll disregard this as I haven't been working with their curriculum. Also worried they'll tell me I have to fly 13 hours for an interview! Anybody ever heard of someone in a similar position?

I asked a school manager to be my reference and she's done it already, bless her. So my application is ready to go as soon as I can send it!

Anyone else worried that it will be even more competitive next year due to people deferring/dropping out with the whole virus situation?
Reply 4
Original post by acw2020
Hey!

I'm planning to apply for Primary for 2021, definitely for Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde - not sure about the other two. I'm a bit worried they wont accept my experience though. I've been a full time homeroom teacher in private kindergartens and primary schools in Asia for 3 years now, but I'm not sure if they'll disregard this as I haven't been working with their curriculum. Also worried they'll tell me I have to fly 13 hours for an interview! Anybody ever heard of someone in a similar position?

I asked a school manager to be my reference and she's done it already, bless her. So my application is ready to go as soon as I can send it!

Anyone else worried that it will be even more competitive next year due to people deferring/dropping out with the whole virus situation?

I'm going to be applying even though I don't have any classroom experiece, I was going to get some this year, I have several years with Rainbows and Brownies though, I don't know if everywhere will be the same but I was on one of the webinars for applicants for 2021 PGDE and that uni said that due to the current situation they wouldn't be too worried about classroom experience as long as you had relevant experience with that age group so I'd say what you've done will probably be fine for at least some unis. I have also been a bit worried about it being more competitive, though we were also told that they aren't certain but it looks like they may have more spaces for 2021, it hasn't been confirmed yet though so it could still end up the same as other years.
Reply 5
Original post by acw2020
Hey!

It sounds like you have a lot of relevant experience - I wouldn't worry too much about it not being the same curriculum, just have a read through the Curriculum for Excellence and maybe mention any similarities in your personal statement.

I haven't even started my personal statement yet - keep drawing a blank when I look at it. Trying to decided how much from my job to put in, I work as a school librarian but want to make sure I don't focus too much on that. One of my deputes who works on our primary transition will be my reference and has offered to help with my personal statement so guess I should start it soon.

Worried about it being more competitive and I will need to try and get into some of my feeder primary schools for more experience with younger classes but fingers crossed it all works out.
Reply 6
Original post by Chemiss
I'm going to be applying even though I don't have any classroom experiece, I was going to get some this year, I have several years with Rainbows and Brownies though, I don't know if everywhere will be the same but I was on one of the webinars for applicants for 2021 PGDE and that uni said that due to the current situation they wouldn't be too worried about classroom experience as long as you had relevant experience with that age group so I'd say what you've done will probably be fine for at least some unis. I have also been a bit worried about it being more competitive, though we were also told that they aren't certain but it looks like they may have more spaces for 2021, it hasn't been confirmed yet though so it could still end up the same as other years.

Working with Rainbows and Brownies should be great experience I worry about my level of experience - I have lots in terms of learning and teaching, development planning and curriculum experiences and outcomes but all with high school pupils and Primary 7s.

What uni was it you had the webinar with? Would be great if there were more spaces but would be worried that would just be more competition for jobs after probation year.

I am applying to study Law at Edinburgh (1st choice), Dundee and Aberdeen. Anyone applying to here too?
Original post by acw2020
Hey!

Hey,

On your application when talking about your experience, try and draw parallels between the Asian curriculum and Scottish curriculum. Research the Scottish curriculum, as well as looking at the course descriptions and I'm sure there will be similarities. Personally, I think it would look impressive, as you have great experience and drawing parallels with what you will be studying will show you are aware of what you will be studying and truly are interested in the course. However, I'm not an admissions tutor, so I may be wrong. Good luck anyway!
Hey! I’m going to be applying for Secondary Education even though I have not been able to get any classroom experience. Getting really worried I will be straight up rejected because of it, but I’ve been tutoring high school children for the last year or so, so I’m hoping they will accept that :frown:
Hey! So glad to have found this thread ☺️
I applied last year and got in, but withdrew to finish my degree with hons instead of leaving with a bachelors... let’s see if that was a wise decision or not!
I’m applying for primary, at Strathclyde, Dundee, Aberdeen, Glasgow & UWS (Ayr)! My reference is the primary teacher I done work experience with.
How are we all getting on with personal statement? It’s crushing my soul atm!
Is anyone here a resident of England and NOT Scotland?
If so, does SFE give a maintenance and tuition fee loan for a PGDE?
Hey - I'll also be applying for Primary at Strath, Glasgow & UWS (Hamilton). Starting the process just now but feeling a tad stressed. I had a school volunteering place lined up at my child's school, but they had a Covid case and have locked back down. It might happen, it might not.
My reference will be from the co-ordinator for my volunteer tutoring. I was hoping to have some more in school experience before applying, but I guess a lot of applicants will be in the same boat.

Does anyone know if universities will contact your employer? I noticed that they ask for most recent role on the application. My preference would be that they didn't know. There are few things going on, and then redundancies. I don't want to give them ammunition to get rid of me.
Hi I’m also applying for primary for next years intake. V stressed trying to find classroom experience in the current situation as have just been told by the school I’d contacted, that they can’t have anyone external in to help :-( Only have parent helper type experience previously
Original post by Acurrie74
Hi I’m also applying for primary for next years intake. V stressed trying to find classroom experience in the current situation as have just been told by the school I’d contacted, that they can’t have anyone external in to help :-( Only have parent helper type experience previously

That's not nothing! To be honest, you wouldn't be doing anything as a volunteer that you don't do as a parent helper, so that is more than enough experience especially in the current circumstances. Courses are going to be extra understanding of any lack of experience this year, so I wouldn't stress, especially as you have got some through being a parent helper!
Myself and my boyfriend are also applying for the PGDE Primary. We're both currently ESL teachers in SE Asia and have been working here teaching kids from 4 - 15 for 6 years. Praying that that somewhat counts for experience but it's tough to know :frown:

I'm doing my SQF Level 5 Maths exam tomorrow with Aberdeen, terrified but hoping all goes well! Have yet to start our statements, and are hoping we can do our interview's online via Skype.

Application wise, we're looking at Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Glasgow.
Hey! I'm applying for PGDE Primary (still trying to decide on my exact choices..) and have been in touch with Teach in Scotland and a few of the Unis looking for advice as I haven't been able to get any classroom experience with everything that's going on. They've all said that it really depends on the amount of applicants as to whether they take classroom experience into consideration but they are expecting that most people will be unable to get any at the moment so it may not be as relevant for 2021 entry, which has made me feel a little better! I have experience running a Guide Unit so I'm hoping that will be enough.

Original post by AisSonic
Myself and my boyfriend are also applying for the PGDE Primary. We're both currently ESL teachers in SE Asia and have been working here teaching kids from 4 - 15 for 6 years. Praying that that somewhat counts for experience but it's tough to know :frown:

I'm doing my SQF Level 5 Maths exam tomorrow with Aberdeen, terrified but hoping all goes well! Have yet to start our statements, and are hoping we can do our interview's online via Skype.

Application wise, we're looking at Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Glasgow.

From the sounds of it you've got plenty of experience - I'm sure you'll be fine!

I'm in the same boat with Maths. I sat paper one today and I'm doing paper two tomorrow. The first one was nowhere near as bad as I expected and you get your result straight away so it gives you an indication of what you need to achieve on paper two to pass. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by kayleighm92
Hey! I'm applying for PGDE Primary (still trying to decide on my exact choices..) and have been in touch with Teach in Scotland and a few of the Unis looking for advice as I haven't been able to get any classroom experience with everything that's going on. They've all said that it really depends on the amount of applicants as to whether they take classroom experience into consideration but they are expecting that most people will be unable to get any at the moment so it may not be as relevant for 2021 entry, which has made me feel a little better! I have experience running a Guide Unit so I'm hoping that will be enough.

From the sounds of it you've got plenty of experience - I'm sure you'll be fine!

I'm in the same boat with Maths. I sat paper one today and I'm doing paper two tomorrow. The first one was nowhere near as bad as I expected and you get your result straight away so it gives you an indication of what you need to achieve on paper two to pass. Good luck! :smile:

Good luck with Paper 2! :biggrin: I'm starting Paper 1 in a few hours and then doing Paper 2 right after. Then the nervous wait till October 2nd awaits us :frown: Sending positive thoughts and vibes :biggrin:
Reply 18
I have just sat paper 1 today. Need to do well in paper 2 and so worried about it. Hoping its not too bad. Good luck x
Hey everyone. I'm applying for Strathclyde, Aberdeen, UWS (Hamilton), Glasgow and Edinburgh. Ideally I want to be in Aberdeen but we'll see! I'm a bit worried also because my last experience in a Scottish school was more than 2 years ago... I'm currently an English teacher in France so hoping that will count for something :smile:. Good luck everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest