Ceetee1979
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi all, I’m applying to Dundee and Aberdeen, doing a module with OU from their Primary Education degree to get me back in the swing of studying this year. Classroom experience was my issue however I’ve taken a leap from a senior development worker role with a charity to a SPSA in a local primary, so excited (but nervous about the horrendous pay cut but hope it will be worth it 🤞🏻)
Last edited by Ceetee1979; 2 weeks ago
ddivinity
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello everyone!I just applied to Glasgow and Strathclyde for both the Modern Studies and History PGDE Secondary and Aberdeen for Modern Studies.I am so scared haha
natashac99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I've applied for Primary Education at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Dundee. So worried I won't get in as it is so competitive but really hoping I do! Good luck!!!
sana-1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey! What’s the opening date & deadline for applying for pgde primary? Is it still 5 choices on the UCAS form? I’ve heard that uws only accept graduates who already hold a degree - I’m in my final year and graduate next year therefore will uws accept my application? Any help is appreciated, thanks!
natashac99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sana-1)
Hey! What’s the opening date & deadline for applying for pgde primary? Is it still 5 choices on the UCAS form? I’ve heard that uws only accept graduates who already hold a degree - I’m in my final year and graduate next year therefore will uws accept my application? Any help is appreciated, thanks!
applications opened on 8th september and will close on 15th January not so sure about UWS but I think you should be okay! I'm in the same boat as final year undergrad, and yeah still 5 choices
sana-1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey I’m applying for Glasgow,strath and uws too - does uws only offer the pgde in Ayr or is in Hamilton too?I’ve made a plan for personal statement but hard to get started with it tbh! How’s yours going? When’s the best time to send the applications ya think?
watbrif1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm starting to prepare my personal statement (early days) and had a look at the personal statement advice specifically on the PGDE on the UCAS website. It says that one should "Briefly explain why the content of your university studies makes you a suitable candidate. For secondary courses, you should clearly indicate the aspects of your degree that meet the specific entry requirements."

I'm a bit confused about the part in bold. I know that you need a specific number of credit points for an application (for instance for Modern Studies: "A 2.2 Honours degree or above with at least 80 SCQF credit points, 40 of these credit points must be at Year 2 Level. The 80 credit points should be from two separate subjects from the list below. At least 40 SCQF credit points must be from either Politics or Sociology"). Is that what they want me to prove?
Last edited by watbrif1; 1 week ago
Chemiss
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, this is probably a bit of a daft question but when you're filling out the education section and you are filling in your degree information what do you put as the results for the modules? Is it pass/fail or do you put the percentage? Also as I'm in my final year of my degree will my referee be asked for predicted grades?
jensinclair
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey everyone! I am applying this year but not sure where to start!

I'm in my honours year for business management and currently working through my personal statement for the PGDE - how is everyone getting on? I am planning on applying to UWS, Glasgow and Strathclyde - ideally in Ayr!

Could anyone help with what other work experience might be helpful during these unprecedented times as experience in primary schools is seeming very unlikely? Thanks!
sjfraser
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi everyone,

I'll hopefully be applying to Strathclyde and Glasgow for PGDE in Business Education.

I've been working since getting my masters in 2011 (this forum makes me feel very old!) but have always wanted to teach and would like to finally go for it this year.

Struggling a bit with the relevance of my degree. I have an MSc Marketing from Strathclyde which is obviously under the business umbrella but both Glasgow and Strathclyde seem to ask for specific qualifications in accounting & finance, economics and business management. A large part of my course for example was commercial finance but shows on my transcript as "business analysis" and wondered how specific they need it to be.

I've been in touch with both unis and still not been given a conclusive response. If anyone had experience of applying for Business Education and could give me a steer on what I needed to cover that would be brilliant!
sana-1
Rep:
?
Report 16 hours ago
(Original post by jensinclair)
Hey everyone! I am applying this year but not sure where to start!

I'm in my honours year for business management and currently working through my personal statement for the PGDE - how is everyone getting on? I am planning on applying to UWS, Glasgow and Strathclyde - ideally in Ayr!

Could anyone help with what other work experience might be helpful during these unprecedented times as experience in primary schools is seeming very unlikely? Thanks!
Hey, I’m applying for Glasgow & strath too - is it still 5 choices we pick from? For uws I double checked n they look for applicants who have a degree before applying & I’m in the same position as you too (final year).

For experience, look out for youth clubs - brownies etc or volunteering at after school clubs. I seen on another post they won’t mind if ur experience isn’t current as long as you’ve had some time with kids - hope that’s still true!
steveaitchison00
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 36 minutes ago
Hi All,

I've been working in retail as a senior manager for the last 20-odd years since graduating from Edinburgh Uni. Always wanted to do secondary teaching but never had the balls to quit my job and go for it. Now I've been made redundant I feel like I've been given this excellent opportunity, so I'm going to apply for next year's intake.

I have a 2:1 geography degree (split evenly between physical and human), so I'm going to apply to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde to do my PGDE.

I have experience as a Scout Leader, but not for the last 15 years or so (basically my work schedule made any volunteering almost impossible). I also spent 2 weeks at my old high school when I was 21 and thinking of going into teaching then - decided I was too young and didn't have enough life experience at that stage, but always said I would aim to come back to it in later life. The current Covid situation I presume makes doing school visits or anything like that out of the question, although I'm still going to ask around local schools.

I had a brief look at the current National 5 cirriculum, it's clear I have a lot of brushing up to do as my geography knowledge is 20 years old now! But at least I have the next year to do that in preparation.

Any other mature students / returners on here?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (53)
20.78%
No (202)
79.22%

Watched Threads