ddivinity
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by pink1995)
I have just sent away my application for PGDE Modern Studies a couple of days ago!! I am also extremely nervous and scared haha
Now it’s just a waiting game hahah
natashac99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Anybody know when to start expecting offers? I know it is still so early but I am so excited/nervous!
LovetoLearn2020
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi, I’m applying for PGDE primary education at Glasgow, Strathclyde, Edinburgh, UHI and Dundee. I graduated in 2012 and have been working in a corporate learning and development role for 8 years now. I was fortunate enough to spend a day a week over 8 weeks in a primary school at the start of this year and I have experience in helping with a Brownie group. I’m currently working on my personal statement and feel as though I’m overthinking it- I think I’m feeling pressure to get it right! I’m hoping to have my application submitted within the next week. Does anyone know what to put as result next to the modules for standard grades/highers? Is it a grade or a pass/fail? Also, does anyone know the approximate timeline from say applying in October to interview and offer?
clairem123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
When you are adding your degree are you adding every module?
Or, is it just the standard 2:1 and they can see the transcript if they want to?
LovetoLearn2020
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by clairem123)
When you are adding your degree are you adding every module?
Or, is it just the standard 2:1 and they can see the transcript if they want to?
I’ve added every module , all 22 of them 🙄 - I’ve now just changed it to say ‘pass’ as the grade for each module as I didn’t receive individual grades for these I don’t think.
clairem123
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Natste)
I’ve added every module , all 22 of them 🙄 - I’ve now just changed it to say ‘pass’ as the grade for each module as I didn’t receive individual grades for these I don’t think.
I'm just worried I'll put the wrong date in. I know I would have done them in the 11/12 academic year say, not sure which year.
LovetoLearn2020
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm just worried I'll put the wrong date in. I know I would have done them in the 11/12 academic year say, not sure which year.
I done 3 each semester so looking at my transcript for 2008/2009 I put the first 3 as 2008 as probably sat them in the November and then the second 3 modules as 2009
watbrif1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Tbh I would be very surprised if they cared. My undergrad is from 10 years ago and I simply don't remember when I sat certain modules. The transcript also doesn't say, so I just gave my graduation year/month...
LovetoLearn2020
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by watbrif1)
Tbh I would be very surprised if they cared. My undergrad is from 10 years ago and I simply don't remember when I sat certain modules. The transcript also doesn't say, so I just gave my graduation year/month...
Yeah I wouldn’t think it really matters too much in the grans scheme of things either
Lucykay99
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Hibernian1875)
Bit early but good to get the ball rolling..

Where are people applying? Who will be your reference?
Hi! I'm hoping to apply to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Strathclyde and UWS in Ayr (where I'm from so would be super convenient) and I'm very much struggling for a reference. I'm still at uni doing my undergrad in Edinburgh and a bit stressed i wont get in due to not having enough experience (both teaching and general life experience) so could always ask my personal tutor but I've only met her once in 4 years so?? not sure?? I teach kids to ride horses so have some experience with wee kids, but my boss there is an eccentric elderly lady who would struggle with UCAS for a reference. I also work in a cafe but am unsure whether my boss there would work as an acceptable reference (or whether she'd even write me one!) Safe to say I'm a bit stressed about the reference aspect!
watbrif1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Lucykay99)
Hi! I'm hoping to apply to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Strathclyde and UWS in Ayr (where I'm from so would be super convenient) and I'm very much struggling for a reference. I'm still at uni doing my undergrad in Edinburgh and a bit stressed i wont get in due to not having enough experience (both teaching and general life experience) so could always ask my personal tutor but I've only met her once in 4 years so?? not sure?? I teach kids to ride horses so have some experience with wee kids, but my boss there is an eccentric elderly lady who would struggle with UCAS for a reference. I also work in a cafe but am unsure whether my boss there would work as an acceptable reference (or whether she'd even write me one!) Safe to say I'm a bit stressed about the reference aspect!
Any tutor you've had in a seminar or similar should be able to write you a reference. You can send them your personal statement/CV, they'll have your coursework and hopefully know a bit about how you "performed" in the classroom. You can always tell them what they should focus on in their reference, i.e. skills that would be useful to point out for a teaching degree application.
clairem123
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Natste)
Yeah I wouldn’t think it really matters too much in the grans scheme of things either
Yeah I just winged it. I split them for when I think I done it. Just made sure the academic year was right.

Now time to move onto reference stress. Does anyone know if they have to know you for a set amount of time before they can use you. I know some other courses say 3 months min. But I can't see anything that stipulates this.
pink1995
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by cwilson4)
Hi all! I applied to Glasgow, Strathclyde and Aberdeen for the Modern Studies PGDE! Wasn't sure if we had to include individual modules results in the application that we've done as part of our degree so panicked slightly after I sent it away. I think its a competitive course to get into but hopefully at least get interviews!
I included all my individual module results just in case but I got an interview with Strathclyde last year for the PGDE Modern Studies and you have to send them a copy of your transcripts anyway.
pink1995
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by natashac99)
Anybody know when to start expecting offers? I know it is still so early but I am so excited/nervous!
It will depend on your course and the university but I know people on a few different courses last year and interviews began from December onwards.
r_mac1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Is everyone applying through UCAS? Having some issues getting set up for that but when I was on the strathclyde website it took me to an application through their pegasus portal should I continue with that? I used to be a student at Strathclyde so that might explain it but it is allowing me to apply for PGDE teaching so im not sure what to do rn
natashac99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by r_mac1)
Is everyone applying through UCAS? Having some issues getting set up for that but when I was on the strathclyde website it took me to an application through their pegasus portal should I continue with that? I used to be a student at Strathclyde so that might explain it but it is allowing me to apply for PGDE teaching so im not sure what to do rn
I think it is best to apply through UCAS to be safe as that's where everything goes through for teaching in Scotland even at postgrad. The only exception I know of is the TLT course at Edinburgh (but don't quote me on that!)
lbarr10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Finally sent my application away yesterday , so glad it is away but now it is a waiting game. I applied to UWS, Strathclyde and Glasgow - I think Strathclyde is my first choice as it is the easiest to get to but will be happy wth any.I know that Strathclyde and Glasgow start their interviews in December so fingers crossed we start to hear in the next few weeks.
shannonxxx
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey I've only just decided to apply to PGDE Primary at Glasgow, Strathclyde and UWS. How much time do I have? I'm a bit worried I'm applying a lot later and don't have time to prepare, as I want to study the curriculum etc. before things take off. Any advice on my bad timing/what to be looking into as preparation?
AMQ00004
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Ohh I’m starting to get nervous having read all your replies. I applied in September. I’ve applied for primary, Strathclyde, Glasgow and Uws. And secondary history. I don’t have any classroom experience but ... I work in a job where I have given assemblies and worked in child protection. Haven’t been able to get any experience this year due to COVID. I want this soo badly, like we all do. Just desperate to get a reply. Good luck everyone! Hoping we all hear soon one way or the other!
lbarr10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I think the deadline for applying is round about the 16th January for Primary Teaching so you still have plenty of time.I would maybe have a look at the Curriculum for Excellence and The National Inprovement Framework to give you some information on the curriculum and the areas the Scottish Government are targeting for improvement.If you have any teacher friends talk to them for some honest insights into the life of a primary teacher.I would also get my reference sorted as soon as possible so that you aren't waiting for it when you have finished your personal statement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.67%
Uncertainty around my education (68)
11.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.34%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
12.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (30)
5.15%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (62)
10.65%
Financial worries (37)
6.36%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
4.12%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.84%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.58%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (58)
9.97%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed