The Student Room Group

PGDE - Scotland 2021 Applicants Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amyk6831
Has anyone heard anything from UWS after interview? They said they would get back to everyone by the 31st of March but I’ve not received anything yet? Don’t want to email them and be a pain 😂

I heard back with a conditional offer a week after my interview
Hi! I’m the same, not heard anything since my interview in February 😬 fingers crossed it’s good news 🤞🏻 When did you interview?
Original post by hello_188
Hi! I’m the same, not heard anything since my interview in February 😬 fingers crossed it’s good news 🤞🏻 When did you interview?

Mines was the end of February too...fingers crossed for you!!
Hi could I ask anyone who’s had their primary interview for Aberdeen how long before your interview did they give you your time slot? I’m the 27th and know it’s a wee bit away but just incase it comes to like 2 days before and I still haven’t heard and I panic haha
Original post by amyk6831
Mines was the end of February too...fingers crossed for you!!

Thank you!! I just want to know now one way or another 😂 hopefully hear something this week!
Hi I really need some help, I've been offered a place at Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde. Strathclyde won me over with their interview and organisation, but I'm unsure if it's the best uni for PGDE languages. I don't want to base my decision on rankings.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Annecy04
Hi! I sat the exam last year and applied for PGDE primary this year. However, just to warn you at the time I applied on UCAS there was no option to include the course on our qualifications, instead, we were advised to clearly state we had undertaken the course in our personal statement. ( as it is only equivalent to Nat5 not the same as the official SQA one). I clearly stated I had undertaken the course and achieved an A... and still got rejected from Glasgow as I had "omitted qualifications" for maths ...which is untrue. I am currently emailing them now to ensure this does not happen to other students. If you have any questions about the Aberdeen course let me know!

Hi! Thank you for warning me about that. Have you applied to any other Uni? I have my interview with Dundee on Thursday.
How is the maths exam? I cannot find any information online besides that it is two parts. Does it happen on a specific date? Is it online/ recorded?

Good luck with Glasgow!
Does anyone know if they ask subject specific questions for the PGDE secondary interview at Glasgow or Strathclyde? Got mine coming up and I'm trying to suss out if I should brush up on anything I might be rusty on that's on the courses, or focus more on preparing answers for more interpersonal type questions
Original post by JessLouise1998
Hi could I ask anyone who’s had their primary interview for Aberdeen how long before your interview did they give you your time slot? I’m the 27th and know it’s a wee bit away but just incase it comes to like 2 days before and I still haven’t heard and I panic haha

Hi I have chosen the 26th but yet to receive a time slot, I changed a medical appt from the afternoon just to ensure I have most of day free. Good luck when it comes!
Original post by Ribeiro92
Hi I really need some help, I've been offered a place at Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde. Strathclyde won me over with their interview and organisation, but I'm unsure if it's the best uni for PGDE languages. I don't want to base my decision on rankings.

I'm in the same situation, I just can't decide (I'm Modern Studies, so no Edinburgh for me sadly). Both my interviews were ok, people seemed really nice and competent. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes in the first place, after all half of the course is done at schools anyway. My personal instinct would be to go for Glasgow (rather than Strathclyde) because I'm a snob (lol) - Glasgow being a bit more of a household name and all that. But Strathclyde also has a great reputation for education I've been told.

If anyone has been to either uni and would like to give us a helping hand, that would be great!
Original post by LJ-STEM
Does anyone know if they ask subject specific questions for the PGDE secondary interview at Glasgow or Strathclyde? Got mine coming up and I'm trying to suss out if I should brush up on anything I might be rusty on that's on the courses, or focus more on preparing answers for more interpersonal type questions

Hi for Strathclyde mines wasn't very specific because they really just wanted to check my language level. They asked the general questions about teaching and what things of my subjects I'd enjoy teaching. Really lovely interview. Glasgow was a bit vague tbh, I only had one interviewer who asked more about if I wanted to do the religious teaching part of not, which I wasnt fussed about but wasnt subject specific you know. Then he asked what skills I can bring to the school out with academics, sports etc and more or less how I'd go about a lesson. Hope this helps!
Just one thing, I really need help deciding between the two universities, what's your first choice and why? :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by watbrif1
I'm in the same situation, I just can't decide (I'm Modern Studies, so no Edinburgh for me sadly). Both my interviews were ok, people seemed really nice and competent. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes in the first place, after all half of the course is done at schools anyway. My personal instinct would be to go for Glasgow (rather than Strathclyde) because I'm a snob (lol) - Glasgow being a bit more of a household name and all that. But Strathclyde also has a great reputation for education I've been told.

If anyone has been to either uni and would like to give us a helping hand, that would be great!

Me too, it's so stressful! Although yeah I think either way they have to go along with the GTS so no course can be that terrible surely... if you find anything out let me know. I'm going to do some thorough research:wink:
Original post by LJ-STEM

Hey I had an interview for secondary for Glasgow and got an offer! They just stuck to the questions they provided! The last question is subject specific but for me it was just about talking about my favourite part of the subject! Hope that helps 😊
Does anyone have any idea when we might hear from strathclyde for PGDE primary if interviewed end of March?
Original post by gemmul
Does anyone have any idea when we might hear from strathclyde for PGDE primary if interviewed end of March?

I got told it would be likely middle of April, potentially end of April - so hopefully anytime now!

It depends what’s most important to you personally, you say you don’t want to base your decision on rankings so what is important to you? Location? Prestige?
I did a pros and cons list about what’s important to me which really helped me decide, why don’t you do that? :smile:

Anecdotally I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a teaching job candidate getting or losing out on a job based on where they did their PGDE.

I base my selection on which one suits me best in terms of personal circumstances (structure of course, location etc), which one has best links with the local authorities id prefer to work in, and which on I got the best impression of at interview. And probably in that order too.
Hi for Strathclyde mines wasn't very specific because they really just wanted to check my language level. They asked the general questions about teaching and what things of my subjects I'd enjoy teaching. Really lovely interview. Glasgow was a bit of a shambles tbh, I only had one interviewer who asked more about if I wanted to do the religious teaching part of not, which I wasnt fussed about but wasnt subject specific you know. Then he asked what skills I can bring to the school out with academics, sports etc and more or less how I'd go about a lesson. Hope this helps!
Just one thing, I really need help deciding between the two universities, what's your first choice and why? :smile:

Thanks, that's really helpful!
Yeah, I think they have to ask about the religious side of things because they are they uni that produce teachers for catholic schools. But weird that it took up most of your interview from the sounds of it.

My first choice is Glasgow! I love it there - did my undergrad and masters there. It's maybe an extra 30 mins on the bus for me, but I like the comfort of knowing the campus, student support facilities, and knowing the area etc.
Original post by claremitch
Hey I had an interview for secondary for Glasgow and got an offer! They just stuck to the questions they provided! The last question is subject specific but for me it was just about talking about my favourite part of the subject! Hope that helps 😊

Thanks so much, and congrats on getting your offer!
For Secondary PGDE, how many days a week are required for on-campus (let’s assumed no covid normal times) lectures/classes?

Quick Reply

Latest