rosiees17
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am (currently, obviously we are near the end of the year so this will change soon) a year 12 student and I really need a new laptop.
After looking around online for a bit I have narrowed it down to 2 options; the iPad pro (12.9" 2020) and the Macbook Pro (13" 2020). I am absolutely torn between the 2 as they are both so great in their own ways and I cannot get both. The iPad attracts me because I could write my notes (not in school but at home), take pictures if needed and would still be able to use a keyboard. The Macbook attracts me because, well it's an actual laptop. I just don't know which would be better. Any advice?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rosiees17)
I am (currently, obviously we are near the end of the year so this will change soon) a year 12 student and I really need a new laptop.
After looking around online for a bit I have narrowed it down to 2 options; the iPad pro (12.9" 2020) and the Macbook Pro (13" 2020). I am absolutely torn between the 2 as they are both so great in their own ways and I cannot get both. The iPad attracts me because I could write my notes (not in school but at home), take pictures if needed and would still be able to use a keyboard. The Macbook attracts me because, well it's an actual laptop. I just don't know which would be better. Any advice?
Hey rosiees17!

I would say it depends on what you want to be doing in the future and what A-levels you are currently doing.
If you are doing subjects that require a lot of drawing/ annotating of diagrams you may find the iPad easier.
But if you're doing lots of essays then a laptop may be better for typing on (but bare in mind at uni you could use library computers/laptops if this was the case).

I'd suggest going with your personal preference and what will help you out the most in the future!

I hope this helps
Eloise - Official Student Rep
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you plan on using this as your primary computer, not the iPad Pro. Tablet keyboard covers, even the best ones, are poorly suited to extended writing and you're likely to be doing a lot of that in your final year of study and even more if you go onto university or some other form of further education. They're cramped, have low key travel and are usually fairly mushy.
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rosiees17)
Definitely a laptop. You can’t do assignments and reports on an iPad you’ll need a laptop for that. A laptop lasts you a lot longer. You can still buy a second hand older gen iPad for note taking if you wish but it’ll set you back another £100-200
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads