Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to put your AS grades on your UCAS form or just your predicted A level grades?
    My ASs didnt go as well as I hoped as they are all just a few marks off the next grade ( Cbbcd [i did A lvl maths early]) :no:
    However I know I can easily get them up to at least Baaac by jan and am still predicted AAABc for next June. I want to apply to medicine at Oxford so I know the grades are important. What does everyone suggest doing??

ReputationRep:
    Depends if your school certificates them... Ring them up and ask, though for you it's better if they don't.

What did you get for GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    I got 8 a* and 2a for gcse
    I know my school does cash them in but I dont know if that means that i have to put it on ucas

ReputationRep:
    Well, Oxford automatically give you an interview based on %A* GCSE and BMAT, so technically, even if you're 89 years old, they have to interview you. (9A* = better than bottom 15%, no A* = top 3% of BMAT)

If your school cashes them in, then to be frank with you, you're screwed for Oxford, even if you do well in BMAT. If they're cashed in, you HAVE to put them on UCAS.

I wouldn't just worry about Oxford, but medicine in general. Why did you do so badly anyway? Any extenuating circumstances?

ReputationRep:
    Well, unless you've done LOTS of extra reading around your subjects at school and can dazzle at interview, that is. (Because Oxford HAVE to interview you as long as you meet their minimum requirements, provided you do well in BMAT)

ReputationRep:
    AS level

:GEOGRAPHY
    - achieved: C
    physical: 84/105 A
    Skills : 69/90 B
    Human : 53/105 D

:MATHEMATICS
    - achieved: A UMS C1( 94/100 A ) C2( 90/100 A ) S1( 73/100 B )

:PSYCHOLOGY
    - achieved: B
    Unit 1: 76/100 B
    Unit 2: 82/100 A
    Unit 3: 74/100 B

:ICT:
    - achieved B

AAAAA all the way through apart from an E so obviously do not need help on this as I will retake.

Hijack :P , if not oxford what unis will take me once i retake because i can get AAAb

i have got sever mitigating circumstance that i did not claim for in the as exams

ReputationRep:
    Would they definitely know Id cashed them in?
    Not really any 'circumstances' as such just missed the A by about 2 marks for my bio and phys =[
    However I do have to check out my chemistry as i have a c for coursework on my exam sheet but got an a?! If this is wrong then once again I will be a couple of marks off an A, I know I can easily get them up, this year just hasnt gone as well as expected because of moving schools and having to get used to new teaching methods and the jump from gcse to as =[

ReputationRep:
    I think Ill just have to hope that it goes ok then. I know I come across very well in interviews and I have been revising for the BMAT. I know I can get all As and probably would have done had I not changed schools but I guess its happened now and Ill just have to try and work with what Ive got.
    I will check with my school whether I do need to put them on the form cos if I do then I have pretty much no chance of getting accepted anywhere =[

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *AngelFish*)
    [
    Do I detect someone who is thinking of trying to cheat? Don't. Your school has a responsibility to make sure you enter correctly anyway. It is definitely not worth taking the risk of your omission being detected and losing the chance of a place at university this year.

ReputationRep:
    Not really any 'circumstances' as such just missed the A by about 2 marks for my bio and phys =[
    However I do have to check out my chemistry as i have a c for coursework on my exam sheet but got an a?! If this is wrong then once again I will be a couple of marks off an A, I know I can easily get them up, this year just hasnt gone as well as expected because of moving schools and having to get used to new teaching methods and the jump from gcse to as =[
    If you are only getting low As or can't get As then maybe Oxford isn't for you.

Oxbridge applicants often have high As, not a few marks over an A or a few marks near an A.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but if they're cashed in then you have to disclose them on the UCAS form I'm afraid. If you're set on Oxford the only option will probably be to push them up to As at A2, take an AEA or two and apply post-qualification. Odds are that even with a high BMAT they'll still reject you on the basis of you not being able to fulfill a typical offer (remember this is Medicine and they'd use any excuse to reject someone).

I must ask though, how on earth do you get 10A/A*s and not get an A at AS? I myself got no A* and just 3 As and have Aaab (and I'm doubting my Oxford chances).

ReputationRep:
    It's just the question you posed was applying to Oxford, I'd do lots of work experience and voluntary work, and some extra reading and worry about applying to do medicine...

With those grades cashed in... Oxford is pretty much dead unless you have extenuating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    I dont want to cheat on UCAS which is why Im making definitely sure of what im allowed to do. Yea I have thought that but I know I havent worked hard enough this last year, because gcses were so easy I didnt need to work for them and still got all As and A*s and so developed a really bad work ethic. I really didnt think I'd done as bad as I did.I know I can get all my grades up to high As and As at full A level and that Oxford is where I want to go. Is there really no chance of me getting in? =[ I did get an a at AS in my maths ( I did the whole a level in one year) I think possibly I did too many subjects 4 as and an a lvl

ReputationRep:
    Well, Cambridge are looking for 90%+ in modules. At Oxford, you get at least 2 interviews, assuming you get an interview, where you have to come across as having done extra reading around your subject and most of the subjects talked about are about science.

What books have you been reading? Have you done any work experience or voluntary work??

I seriously would stop assessing your chances of Oxford and start assessing your chances of getting into medical school. I wouldn't, and I stress, wouldn't view Oxford as the be all and end all.

Thank you for your email. I do understand your concerns as there are a lot of rumours and long held opinions about applying to Oxford, and you have done the right thing in getting in touch. In applying to Oxford there is no magic formula, and indeed high grades are not everything in an application. You will find people with very high grades who do not get accepted. This is because the grades are an entry level requirement, and there are many other factors that are considered when we look at the applications. However, I'm pleased to be able to confirm for you that although we do look at GCSE results, we take them with a pinch of salt. We look for people gaining between A*'s and B's but we do not put any specific limits on how many of these grades we want. They are a good prediction to where you may end up at A Level, but after that they are not so important.

For example, our statistics show that over the last four years our average successful medical applicant will have 6 A*'s at GCSE. This obviously means that some have 10 A*'s and some have none. We use the BMAT test as a level against the GCSE results. Over the last four years, if you have 9A*'s at GCSE you will need to only score above the bottom 15% of the BMAT scores to gain an automatic interview, if you have 0 A*'s at GCSE you would need to be in the top 3% of BMAT scores to gain an automatic interview. After the automatic interviews are assigned we still look at every other application and ask anyone else to interview who is interesting or slightly different from other applicants. Therefore it would be highly possible for you to be asked to come for an interview.

What you need to remember is that we also are looking for evidence of true passion for the subject and independent learning, over and above what you are doing in your A Levels, so successful applicants will be able to show wider reading, knowledge of research and new ideas in the areas they are studying, and those that they wish to study at University. They will also have work experience in hospitals or associated disciplines, and also, as Oxford's medicine course is very scientifically focused in the first three years, we would also like to see some work in labs, be it in a hospital environment or in a scientific arena, as the skills you will learn will be the same.

We will also not be making offers on A* at A Level in the first year that the grades are introduced. As a University we do not have enough information regarding what the grades will mean in terms of quality and in actual ability to gain them. No policy decisions have therefore been taken yet and the A and A* grades will be treated the same. This will reflect the fact that at the moment we do not assess on the % gained at A Level, we only ask for the grade A.

In terms of advice as whether to apply or not, the only thing I can say, is that the only sure way to not be accepted, is to not apply. Oxford should be looked at as an opportunity that a lot of people cannot even consider as they will not be predicted 3 A's. Therefore, if you are of a level to apply, why not do so?! If you are of that calibre it is merely one choice out of five, and you shouldn't be struggling to get into another very good University with the grades you are predicted. If you don't try you'll never know, but don't think of it as the be all and end all. If you get a place, fantastic, if you don't you'll get one at a great Uni where you'll get a very good education and you will probably never look back at not getting in to Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge want people who are truly passionate about their subjects and read above and beyond their syllabuses.

Now, if you're getting Bs and Cs in your syllabuses, I just don't see how Oxford is a realistic choice. Sorry.

Just forget Oxford for a moment and focus on getting into medical school. You only get 4 options.

ReputationRep:
    I dont want to cheat on UCAS which is why Im making definitely sure of what im allowed to do. Yea I have thought that but I know I havent worked hard enough this last year, because gcses were so easy I didnt need to work for them and still got all As and A*s and so developed a really bad work ethic. I really didnt think I'd done as bad as I did.I know I can get all my grades up to high As and As at full A level and that Oxford is where I want to go. Is there really no chance of me getting in? =[ I did get an a at AS in my maths ( I did the whole a level in one year) I think possibly I did too many subjects 4 as and an a lvl
    Isn't it strange? I came out with a Year 11 set of AAAABBbC. I think it's different learning styles if anything. I cannot learn by being spoonfed, I need to be reading books and taking notes which is why I'm probably more suited to A levels. I think that you'd have to apply after A2s to get into Oxford. You'd probably get away with one grade less than an A at AS (as long as you're predicted AAA) and you'd probably get away with a poor set of GCSEs for most courses, but, considering the competitiveness of Medicine, I think they'll see you didn't get an A at AS and think you're not up to it. You also have to remember that your school might not let you apply, my school doesn't let people who aren't predicted AAA (and don't have 5A/A*s, but I'm an exception to the rule because I am great) to apply for fear of letting Oxbridge think they have low standards. Remember that they reject people without an interview even if they think they'd be perfect for the university (due to BMAT/GCSE scores), which is not surprising considering there are over 10 applicants per place. Take some science AEAs (if there are any) next year in addition to a string of As at A2, do alot of work experience in a gap year and reapply.

Or just go somewhere else, Oxford isn't the best for everything.

ReputationRep:
    Applicants next year will have A* though... More competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    ? I came out with a Year 11 set of AAAABBbC.
    Repeating one of your A grades in large letters every time you write it (and you do write it often, let's be honest) will not make it any better or more important to anyone - and I know it is the subject you intend to study. Are you trying to convince somone that it counts double?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be the one to break your bubble by the way... Always makes me feel bad, but at least better than giving false hope lol.

But the reason I think you got no reply at first was just because people thought you must have been kidding... *Oxford*... *Those grades*... 2+2 = 5!

Medicine is difficult to get into anywhere... Getting a place in medical school is amazing enough as it is, trust me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Repeating one of your A grades in large letters every time you write it (and you do write it often, let's be honest) will not make it any better or more important to anyone - and I know it is the subject you intend to study. Are you trying to convince somone that it counts double?
    :rofl:

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.