sara1606
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Anyone completed or are in the process of doing an Access to higher education in medicine? I've just started and would love to get your thoughts on how your doing with it. Is it hard? Those who have completed a course like this, what universities did you get into?
akpad
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I completed an Access to Medicine course and I’m currently studying medicine in Southampton. I didn’t find the course too difficult, I did the one at Lambeth. If you have any more questions you can PM me
sara1606
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by akpad)
Hi, I completed an Access to Medicine course and I’m currently studying medicine in Southampton. I didn’t find the course too difficult, I did the one at Lambeth. If you have any more questions you can PM me
Hey, will sent you a MP. Thanks!
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sara1606)
Anyone completed or are in the process of doing an Access to higher education in medicine? I've just started and would love to get your thoughts on how your doing with it. Is it hard? Those who have completed a course like this, what universities did you get into?
stuntmanhy you are up again!
stuntmanhy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes I completed the course at City and Islington this year and got into St. George's and Bristol.

Honestly the course isn't that hard. You are examined right from the beginning though, I think a few people in my year weren't ready and dropped grades early on, then improved as the year went on. Obviously for medicine you need all, or at least mostly distinctions so you want to hit the ground running.

The content is mostly easier than A-Level from what I could tell, and as you are examined at the end of each unit, you never have a ton of content to learn all at once. That being said, as you are examined so often, you can't really afford to have a bad month. For distinctions you can't afford many wrong answers in the exams. Not as hard as it sounds, but you do need to be on the ball for the whole year.

I should also mention I only actually finished two thirds of the course in the end because of the pandemic. The rest of our grades are calculated. Who knows, maybe there would have been a really hard unit towards the end. I doubt it though.
akpad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, will sent you a MP. Thanks!
Hi Sara, I’ve seen your PM - I have a deadline coming up on Tuesday, so I will respond to you after that if it’s okay. Just wanted to let you know so that you didn’t think I was ignoring you!
xx_Ammmz_xx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hiya! I'm doing mine in medicine, but with Stonebridge
sara1606
Rep:
?
(Original post by akpad)
Hi Sara, I’ve seen your PM - I have a deadline coming up on Tuesday, so I will respond to you after that if it’s okay. Just wanted to let you know so that you didn’t think I was ignoring you!
Thanks Akpad! Good luck with your deadline!
sara1606
Rep:
?
(Original post by xx_Ammmz_xx)
Hiya! I'm doing mine in medicine, but with Stonebridge
That's great! Im with Distance Learning. Are you hoping to study medicine next year September? Did you do A-levels? My GCSE's were average so im a bit worried they will look at this. Which unis are you looking at?
xx_Ammmz_xx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That's great! Im with Distance Learning. Are you hoping to study medicine next year September? Did you do A-levels? My GCSE's were average so im a bit worried they will look at this. Which unis are you looking at?
I'm thinking about applying for the year after, so I haven't done any research on Uni's yet This year's been a tad bit hectic so far! I didn't do A-levels, did you? I'm sure as long you meet the entry requirements you'll be fine! It's always worth double checking with Uni's if they'd accept your GCSE results. Which Uni's are you looking at?
Mark.T
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by stuntmanhy)
Yes I completed the course at City and Islington this year and got into St. George's and Bristol.

Honestly the course isn't that hard. You are examined right from the beginning though, I think a few people in my year weren't ready and dropped grades early on, then improved as the year went on. Obviously for medicine you need all, or at least mostly distinctions so you want to hit the ground running.

The content is mostly easier than A-Level from what I could tell, and as you are examined at the end of each unit, you never have a ton of content to learn all at once. That being said, as you are examined so often, you can't really afford to have a bad month. For distinctions you can't afford many wrong answers in the exams. Not as hard as it sounds, but you do need to be on the ball for the whole year.

I should also mention I only actually finished two thirds of the course in the end because of the pandemic. The rest of our grades are calculated. Who knows, maybe there would have been a really hard unit towards the end. I doubt it though.
Congrats on your offers! Can I drop you a message to ask about the access course you were on?
stuntmanhy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mark.T)
Congrats on your offers! Can I drop you a message to ask about the access course you were on?
Of course
xx_Ammmz_xx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

That's awesome! Congratulations on the amazing offers - I'm from Bristol, so if you want some more info about the city I'll be happy to help Would you mind if I Pm'd you? Congrats once again on the amazing offers!!
stuntmanhy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That's awesome! Congratulations on the amazing offers - I'm from Bristol, so if you want some more info about the city I'll be happy to help Would you mind if I Pm'd you? Congrats once again on the amazing offers!!
Sure, you guys don't need to ask, I'm happy to reply to PMs
xx_Ammmz_xx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sure, you guys don't need to ask, I'm happy to reply to PMs
Thank you! So, which Uni are you leaning more towards - Bristol or St Georges?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It'd be nice if rather than all these PMs some of this could be put on the open forum - so other people can benefit from the experiences of others That's is the point of this place, after all.
stuntmanhy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you! So, which Uni are you leaning more towards - Bristol or St Georges?
I've actually firmed St. George's. I really loved Bristol, I preferred the uni overall but it's just much more convenient for me to be able to stay in London at the moment.
(Original post by Reality Check)
It'd be nice if rather than all these PMs some of this could be put on the open forum - so other people can benefit from the experiences of others That's is the point of this place, after all.
Of course, happy to answer questions publically or privately. I had to dig a bit to find good info on access to medicine courses when I was applying last year.

Some generic advice for anybody reading, for many unis (not all) that accept the access course, you are in the same boat as A-Level students. Therefore it won't be the access course that holds you back, it will be your UCAT, GCSEs, interview performance just like everybody else. Like I said, there are some exceptions that rank access students or mature students seperately to school leavers. This can work for or against you depending on the uni. Research your choices heavily. Call and email all the unis you are considering.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've actually firmed St. George's. I really loved Bristol, I preferred the uni overall but it's just much more convenient for me to be able to stay in London at the moment.

Of course, happy to answer questions publically or privately. I had to dig a bit to find good info on access to medicine courses when I was applying last year.

Some generic advice for anybody reading, for many unis (not all) that accept the access course, you are in the same boat as A-Level students. Therefore it won't be the access course that holds you back, it will be your UCAT, GCSEs, interview performance just like everybody else. Like I said, there are some exceptions that rank access students or mature students seperately to school leavers. This can work for or against you depending on the uni. Research your choices heavily. Call and email all the unis you are considering.
Thank you
xx_Ammmz_xx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

That’s great! I’ve heard St George’s is a brilliant medical school too, so I’m sure you’ll really enjoy it!☺️
akpad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just to re-iterate what's been mentioned before, and what I have said to a few people via PM who were asking - I would definitely recommend emailing or calling the admissions departments of medical schools to give them a bit of background regarding your stats etc. and ask them whether they would consider an application from you. I did this for almost every medical school in the UK, before embarking on the access course I did, so that I knew before starting the course and when applying for medical schools, which ones I had a strong chance of getting into. I would not have embarked on my access course unless I knew that I would be considered by at least 4 medical schools with it. I ultimately applied to SGUL, Southampton, Glasgow and BSMS, and accepted an offer from Southampton.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.61%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.18%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.83%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (97)
21.75%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.87%
I haven't started researching yet (48)
10.76%

Watched Threads