kizzyb123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
m currently going into my final year of college and im applying for unis but im stuck between opting for either a marketing degree or an history degree. i want to know which will secure me a job in the business field because i really really love history as im predicted an A* but i really love business and i know im a business person because everyine says so. If i take the history degree will it be useless if i want to go into business? IM REALLY STUCK AND I WOULD LOVE SOME GUIDANCE XO
oliviamkc
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Erm, ok wow marketing and history are two very different degrees in the sense of content. I cannot help. I suppose not a lot of people can help you make your degree choice.
As someone who applied for history (I ended up studying archaeology) but was torn between History and Psychology, I tried and viewed myself studying for three years +. I also looked at both courses, when it came to where I applied. I would suggest you go and see some universities (virtually ofc), find people or even contact current students (via Unibuddy on the individual uni's websites) or forums on here.

However, what can you see yourself studying for three years - you say you want to go into business post-uni. People with history degrees go onto work in multiple different fields as 'transferable skills'. If your heart is set on business, and you want to go into business - look into a marketing/business etc. degree. I wouldn't personally, study something just because you're predicted an A* (as you say you are in history) because to be quite honest... just because you're good at something does not mean you're going to love it at university.
CaramelCamel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi,
I agree with oliviamkc that it would be a good idea for you to look into what both marketing/business and history courses are like as what you study will be different and the options for things like placement years or years abroad might be different as well.

However, you don't necessarily need to make a choice between the two as you could do a joint honours degree. At the University of Northampton, you could do a degree in marketing and history or business and history (more info on this). I think you can also do history (or ancient history) and management at the University of Exeter if you want to go to a Russell Group. More about the Exeter combined honours can be found here. History and management is also available at the University of Glasgow. These courses will probably be at other universities to but here's just a few. I think the University of Liverpool may offer it too as they have a lot of options for joint honours.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by kizzyb123)
m currently going into my final year of college and im applying for unis but im stuck between opting for either a marketing degree or an history degree. i want to know which will secure me a job in the business field because i really really love history as im predicted an A* but i really love business and i know im a business person because everyine says so. If i take the history degree will it be useless if i want to go into business? IM REALLY STUCK AND I WOULD LOVE SOME GUIDANCE XO
You could consider doing a History degree as that is what you love followed by a one year MSc in Marketing (if that is still the area of business that most interests you in 3 years time)
kizzyb123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Melirose)
Hi,
I agree with oliviamkc that it would be a good idea for you to look into what both marketing/business and history courses are like as what you study will be different and the options for things like placement years or years abroad might be different as well.

However, you don't necessarily need to make a choice between the two as you could do a joint honours degree. At the University of Northampton, you could do a degree in marketing and history or business and history (more info on this). I think you can also do history (or ancient history) and management at the University of Exeter if you want to go to a Russell Group. More about the Exeter combined honours can be found here. History and management is also available at the University of Glasgow. These courses will probably be at other universities to but here's just a few. I think the University of Liverpool may offer it too as they have a lot of options for joint honours.
Thank you for the different advice on the different universities that have joint honours. I will be looking into them ! x
kizzyb123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by oliviamkc)
Erm, ok wow marketing and history are two very different degrees in the sense of content. I cannot help. I suppose not a lot of people can help you make your degree choice.
As someone who applied for history (I ended up studying archaeology) but was torn between History and Psychology, I tried and viewed myself studying for three years +. I also looked at both courses, when it came to where I applied. I would suggest you go and see some universities (virtually ofc), find people or even contact current students (via Unibuddy on the individual uni's websites) or forums on here.

However, what can you see yourself studying for three years - you say you want to go into business post-uni. People with history degrees go onto work in multiple different fields as 'transferable skills'. If your heart is set on business, and you want to go into business - look into a marketing/business etc. degree. I wouldn't personally, study something just because you're predicted an A* (as you say you are in history) because to be quite honest... just because you're good at something does not mean you're going to love it at university.
Thank you so much for this advice, I guess my heart is set on completing a marketing degree with a mba later down the year hopefully!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (433)
56.23%
I don't have everything I need (337)
43.77%

Watched Threads