The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bennyboy65
Thats because a lot of smoothies have added sugar. There's no way the nutritional info of the fruit "mysteriously" gets lost!

I was wrong in saying that the nutrients within the fruit get lost when blended but I did hear somewhere that its better to eat unblended fruit rather than drink to much smoothie because so much fruit is blended that it ends up high in natural sugar.
Reply 21
ElectricOceans
I was wrong in saying that the nutrients within the fruit get lost when blended but I did hear somewhere that its better to eat unblended fruit rather than drink to much smoothie because so much fruit is blended that it ends up high in natural sugar.

The advice is that you should eat fruit rather than drinking smoothies because you will consume a lot more sugar over a shorter period of time.

You could blend up 10 bananas and quite easily drink them, but you would be hard push to eat 10 bananas so you would probably end up consuming more.

If you took what you would usually eat (fruit wise) and blended it up and drunk it gradually throughout the day, then it would be no different to eating your normal amount (minus the nominal calories burnt through chewing).
Reply 22
tomoli
The advice is that you should eat fruit rather than drinking smoothies because you will consume a lot more sugar over a shorter period of time.

You could blend up 10 bananas and quite easily drink them, but you would be hard push to eat 10 bananas so you would probably end up consuming more.

If you took what you would usually eat (fruit wise) and blended it up and drunk it gradually throughout the day, then it would be no different to eating your normal amount (minus the nominal calories burnt through chewing).

:yep:
ffrann
er.. yes obviously if you eat more that usual you will put on wieght. You could say that about anything. If you have what you would normally eat/drink + 1 banana you will put on weight, assuming you do the same amount of exercise. You make an interesting point about the sugar thing though. I don't think the energy used to eat apples is significant, but I agree that you might be 'tricked' into eating more with blended fruit because it can look smaller and if feels like a drink instead of food.

i only said what i watched on tv....
but you are having more fruit than you would normally eat in like 2mins....

tomoli
Since the question was whether the fruit looses any nutritional value when blended, I don't think this is relevant. The fact is, blended fruit provides the same amount of vitamins, sugar, etc. as non-blended fruit. The speed at which it is consumed will not change this.

noo but instead of 1 apple your having 3 or something stupid like that...
Reply 24
People thinking that if you blend 1 apple it will suddenly have thousands of times more sugar, thousands of times less vitamins and cause you to put on immense amounts of weight, compared to just eating an apple.

:rofl:

Latest