Turn on thread page Beta

Metallica's Death Magnetic watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadinus)
    I agree with S&R being the worst. Honestly, it's terrible idk what they're trying to do. I had faith in their instrumentals but it's just...crap.
    yeah i aint saying its like so crap
    but
    like the song i liked least on the album
    over all ill give the album a 9/10 ....8.5 minimum
    lol
    im a die hard fan btw
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    I wasnt going to but after hearing some of it on Youtube, yes I definitely will be. My expectations werent very high after St Anger but this sounds pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't really listened to Metallica in a couple of years, except the odd song when my whole music collection is on shuffle. But I've just given the new album a listen to, and I am impressed, may even go as far as buying it (which I don't often do as I have been disappointed too many times when buying CDs).
    I definately recommend it, even to those that have been put off by St. Anger, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard it sounds a little all over the place. The solos certainly don't seem up to scratch. I guess if I have a spare tenner I might pick it up if my curiosity gets the better of me.

ReputationRep:
    Definately buying it. Saw them at Reading and they played two new tracks, Cyanide and The Day That Never Comes..definately looks like they're getting in touch with their old roots.

ReputationRep:
    Have they got rid of Bob Rock then?

ReputationRep:
    yeah
    rick rubin now

ReputationRep:
    Which was hardly heartening considering his recent record.

ReputationRep:
    whatst he point of them getting in touch with their odl roots - they are past that aprt of their lvies now

in a way they couldnt really win - this new album wont top their ealiest ones and does nothing new for them.

lars said himself in the paper the other day its a bit hard to go back to the 80's when you are living in a hitel room thats 5 star and you have kids etc.

ReputationRep:
    Since I'm a fan of oldschool 'tallica (everything until the Black album), I checked out it's new album once it got leaked in the internet, and got high quality files for every song just today. I thought I'd share my opinion with you guys about my 'first impression'.

This album is a huge step forward, away from the ******** that was St. Anger, Reload and Load. It greatly resembles the "...and Justice for All" album with its instrumentals - both riffs and solos. The musical motives are pleasant to the ear - well structured, holding the atmosphere/topic/feeling of each song without straying off-topic. We hear several calm intros played on acoustic guitar, piano and other instruments that smoothly connect to the heavy parts. There are some very cool riffs, sometimes combined with with passages played on higher notes, which souds really good, as it is all written within the musical theme of each song in particular (IMO). Now, on to Mr. Kirk Hammett and how he dissapointed me... Most of the solos are written in the "Ride the lightning - Justice for all" styles, with some elements taken directly from their old songs (i.e. two songs that use two passages from the kickass "Blackened" solo). What annoyed me the most was his Wah Wah pedal, which was totally unnecessary most of the time. As for the lyrics - I don't know how full of thoughts they are as I never take my time to really listen to what he sings (I suspect that they're dumb as hell, as it is with most music anyway), but what I do know is that sometimes they don't rime very well and sound like things they added on to the music without paying much attention.

In short, the two main flaws are:
    -Don't let Kirk Hammett compose solos and shut his mouth when he tries to get his opinion through
    -Needs more attention to lyrics

Other than that, I think it's qute good. Sort of a return to the old stuff with a more modern feel to it, which isn't bad, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    naa i reckon everything is good
    i like the lyrics
    although i reckon lars just needs to vary and move away from the snare
    he uses it soo much!

ReputationRep:
    You like the lyrics?

LOVE IS A FOUR LETTER WOOO-HER-IAH-OOORD!

ReputationRep:
    yeah i do
    lol
    esp in the day that never comes
    hahahaha
    and the judas kiss
    u have to admit
    itsd a good album

u cant listent to it and have the mindset that its gna be ****

ReputationRep:
    Ok bought my Death Magnetic and onto the second listen at the moment. First impressions: songs are decent, production not so much. It's not completely appalling but could have been a lot better considering who this band is.

My favourite bits so far: The Judas Kiss, That Was Your Life, All Nightmare Long.

And it slots into my favourite Metallica album list probably on par with black album/kill em all (which are prone to shuffling around depending on the mood): Lightning, Puppets, Justice, Kill Em All/Black/Magnetic, St Anger, Load, Reload.

ReputationRep:
    Metallica's lyrics are not the most sophisticated, to say the least :I

ReputationRep:
    Hmmph, I'm not sure I can be bothered to download the whole album and listen to it yet. I've been thoroughly unimpressed with Cyanide and The day that never comes so it's hardly enticed me.

Metallica have never been famed for their lyrics but **** me, they've gone all out in the ****ness front for this album - "Love is a four letter word"? "Suicide - I've already died"? I mean come on...

Their riffs are uneventful and they now sound like a rock band; a slightly heavier version of nickelback but with worse lyrics.

I listen to justice and then listen to these two new songs...the difference(and quality) could not be more apparent I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Garnerish)
    You like the lyrics?

LOVE IS A FOUR LETTER WOOO-HER-IAH-OOORD!
    lol I posted my post before I read this, brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sash.)
    Definately buying it. Saw them at Reading and they played two new tracks, Cyanide and The Day That Never Comes..definately looks like they're getting in touch with their old roots.
    See, I completely disagree with this viewpoint. What it sounds like is St. Anger mashed over some MOP/AFJA style solos and riffs. It sounds like manufactured music that they've tried extra hard to fit to their old great style. It's just not working. They're not the same band anymore, I'd rather they produced another St. Anger that's natural and full of emotion than this crap. They will never produce another RTL/AFJA/MOP but they could produce something good now that reflects their current style. It's just a shame they didn't do it with this. In conclusion, I actually prefer St. Anger at the present moment.

ReputationRep:
    It's a very meh album.
    The majority of the songs would benefit from being a couple of minutes shorter.

ReputationRep:
    its very samey, not enough variety really.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 3, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.