Contact lens assessment

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm booked in for a contact lens assessment next week & I don't know why but I feel really nervous. I'd just like a head start on what exactly is going to happen in this assessment. I know exactly what type of lenses I want and what brand but I'm constantly told that it's not guaranteed that I'll get them. Do they ask a lot about my lifestyle? Do I get a choice on what brand & lens type that I want or is that solely up to my optometrist? What kind of questions can I expect to be asked?
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm booked in for a contact lens assessment next week & I don't know why but I feel really nervous. I'd just like a head start on what exactly is going to happen in this assessment. I know exactly what type of lenses I want and what brand but I'm constantly told that it's not guaranteed that I'll get them. Do they ask a lot about my lifestyle? Do I get a choice on what brand & lens type that I want or is that solely up to my optometrist? What kind of questions can I expect to be asked?
You will go inside and the optometrist will take a look at your spectacles prescription. She will ask your lifestyle and the health of your eyes in general. They will assess your eyes and then go away to find some lenses that they think will fit you. They will put them in your eye for you - ask how you’re feeling and if you can see. They will then do an eye test with those lenses in and possibly use a dye to check for signs of irritation and dryness with those lenses. If you’re happy, the optometrist will hand you over to a dispenser to get a contact lens teach. Provided you are able to put the lenses in safely and understand do’s and dont’s you can either: take away some trials of different brands and see which ones you like or buy your chosen brand straightaway.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Fermion.)
You will go inside and the optometrist will take a look at your spectacles prescription. She will ask your lifestyle and the health of your eyes in general. They will assess your eyes and then go away to find some lenses that they think will fit you. They will put them in your eye for you - ask how you’re feeling and if you can see. They will then do an eye test with those lenses in and possibly use a dye to check for signs of irritation and dryness with those lenses. If you’re happy, the optometrist will hand you over to a dispenser to get a contact lens teach. Provided you are able to put the lenses in safely and understand do’s and dont’s you can either: take away some trials of different brands and see which ones you like or buy your chosen brand straightaway.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Would it be alright if I told my optometrist from the start what specific brand I want as it's the only one I can really afford with my student life. Or should I iust see what they recommend for me?
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Would it be alright if I told my optometrist from the start what specific brand I want as it's the only one I can really afford with my student life. Or should I iust see what they recommend for me?
You can tell them what brand you want but if it’s unsuitable for your eyes they won’t be able to let you buy them. It depends on a lot of factors tbh. The lenses need to be able to fit your eye and your eye measurements.
martin7
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I take the view that when you're going to a professional, give them the information you have and allow them to help you make the decisions.

Scenario 1, you don't mention why you want brand X

YOU: I'm interested in getting brand X

OPTOMETRIST: OK, having checked your eyes etc, I'm happy that brand X is suitable for you.

Scenario 2, you do mention why you want brand X

YOU: I'm on a budget, so I'm interested in getting brand X

OPTOMETRIST: OK, having checked your eyes etc, I'm happy that brand X is suitable for you. But if money's an issue, what about brand Y? They're a little bit cheaper but just as good, and they'd be suitable for you too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads