Armaan247
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello guys if I did the BTEC level 3 extended certificate in IT would I be able to go to university or would I have to do the BTEC level 3 extended diploma? After I complete the extended certificate course it equals to 210 UCAS points and hope to aim dor DD.
AMsch
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I really don't know about BTEC stuff, but I assume that's like 2 A-levels. Check the course and universities that you want to apply to, because some of the universities don't consider BTEC for some courses.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Armaan247)
Hello guys if I did the BTEC level 3 extended certificate in IT would I be able to go to university or would I have to do the BTEC level 3 extended diploma? After I complete the extended certificate course it equals to 210 UCAS points and hope to aim dor DD.

O believe is the equivalent of 1 A level and wouldnt get you into uni.
You need to do the extended diploma which is equivalent to 3.
bamtutor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
O believe is the equivalent of 1 A level and wouldnt get you into uni.
You need to do the extended diploma which is equivalent to 3.
As 999tigger says, the Ext Cert is only equivalent to 1 A level. You should also double check UCAS, as this is only worth 48 UCAS points not 210 (You are probably mixing up BTEC points with UCAS points). https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator
Armaan247
Rep:
?
(Original post by bamtutor)
As 999tigger says, the Ext Cert is only equivalent to 1 A level. You should also double check UCAS, as this is only worth 48 UCAS points not 210 (You are probably mixing up BTEC points with UCAS points). https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator
Oh okay I hope im not mixing it up because next year I am applying to do a level 3 course in IT. I looked up the entry requirements for extended it says apparently its = to 3 A levels and equivalent to 210 UCAS points. When I complete the level 3 it equates to DD can DD grades but you to uni?
bamtutor
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh okay I hope im not mixing it up because next year I am applying to do a level 3 course in IT. I looked up the entry requirements for extended it says apparently its = to 3 A levels and equivalent to 210 UCAS points. When I complete the level 3 it equates to DD can DD grades but you to uni?
Can you post the link to the College IT course where it says 210 UCAS points as this is wrong (unless they are still using the old UCAS tariff.) 3 A levels at A* only give 168 UCAS points and most University courses ask for between 112 -140 UCAS points. If you do the Ext Cert which is only 2 A levels, you will usually study another A level or BTEC course alongside it. Have a look at some University courses now and see how many UCAS points / BTECs they require.
Armaan247
Rep:
?
Can you post the link to the College IT course where it says 210 UCAS points as this is wrong (unless they are still using the old UCAS tariff.) 3 A levels at A* only give 168 UCAS points and most University courses ask for between 112 -140 UCAS points. If you do the Ext Cert which is only 2 A levels, you will usually study another A level or BTEC course alongside it. Have a look at some University courses now and see how many UCAS points / BTECs they require.
Okay, that's great thank you so much. Here is the link of the IT course where it says 210 UCAS points. If you scroll down to how the course is assessed and where next further studies that's what it's saying.

https://www.harrow.ac.uk/courses/com...echnology.html
bamtutor
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Okay, that's great thank you so much. Here is the link of the IT course where it says 210 UCAS points. If you scroll down to how the course is assessed and where next further studies that's what it's saying.

https://www.harrow.ac.uk/courses/com...echnology.html
I can see how this is confusing. It looks like the college have not updated their website course info and they are mixing up two different qualifications (BTEC RQF which has exams and the old QCF with doesn't have exams). They state you do four units (which is correct for the Ext cert, but the UCAS points they state are for the 90 Credit Diploma which is nine units and a DD is equivalent to 1 1/2 A levels and gives you 72 UCAS points. This is Year 1 of a 2 Year Level 3 course. They are still quoting 210 which is from the old UCAS tariff which changed at least two years ago.
If you want to go to Uni and study IT, then you will ned to do either a 2 year 18 unit Level 3 Ext Diploma and a grade of DDD will give you 144 UCAS points which is enough for most Universities. Or you could mix a BTEC Ext Cert with two other A levels, or other BTEC courses (e.g. Business or Law) and build UCAS pints that way. However you should look at Universities that you may want to apply to now to see what they will require. Some ask for a number of UCAS points and some ask for specific BTEC courses / grades.
email or call the college and ask them to clarify what course they are offering and what the progression route is for Year 2.
Armaan247
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I can see how this is confusing. It looks like the college have not updated their website course info and they are mixing up two different qualifications (BTEC RQF which has exams and the old QCF with doesn't have exams). They state you do four units (which is correct for the Ext cert, but the UCAS points they state are for the 90 Credit Diploma which is nine units and a DD is equivalent to 1 1/2 A levels and gives you 72 UCAS points. This is Year 1 of a 2 Year Level 3 course. They are still quoting 210 which is from the old UCAS tariff which changed at least two years ago.
If you want to go to Uni and study IT, then you will ned to do either a 2 year 18 unit Level 3 Ext Diploma and a grade of DDD will give you 144 UCAS points which is enough for most Universities. Or you could mix a BTEC Ext Cert with two other A levels, or other BTEC courses (e.g. Business or Law) and build UCAS pints that way. However you should look at Universities that you may want to apply to now to see what they will require. Some ask for a number of UCAS points and some ask for specific BTEC courses / grades.
email or call the college and ask them to clarify what course they are offering and what the progression route is for Year 2.
That's great thank you so much for your support! the only thing that confused me was why the course says it is equivalent to 3 A levels then. I do want to study at university and get into an IT course. I will look at different universities and check out their requirements and see if it matches the course. I will also call or email the college and see what's happening as I haven't heard from them in a while about my course. I hope I get into the BTEC extended diploma then and get DDD.
Armaan247
Rep:
?
That's great thank you so much for your support! the only thing that confused me was why the course says it is equivalent to 3 A levels then. I do want to study at university and get into an IT course. I will look at different universities and check out their requirements and see if it matches the course. I will also call or email the college and see what's happening as I haven't heard from them in a while about my course. I hope I get into the BTEC extended diploma then and get DDD.
I just found out what course I am doing for level 3 I am doing the BTEC foundation/extended diploma in IT it has 6 units in total. But it doesnt tell me how many A levels its equivalent too and the UCAS points. Is this a good level 3 program?
bamtutor
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I just found out what course I am doing for level 3 I am doing the BTEC foundation/extended diploma in IT it has 6 units in total. But it doesnt tell me how many A levels its equivalent too and the UCAS points. Is this a good level 3 program?
The Foundation Diploma (6 units) is the first year and has 2 exams. If you pass that and leave college it is equivalent to 1 1/2 A levels.
You would then progress to Year 2 and complete another 7 units (and 2 more exams) which is equivalent to the full 3 A Levels.
Have a look at the specification and it gives you all of the details of the units and which ones are external exams;
https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...c_Iss2CUpd.pdf
Armaan247
Rep:
?
The Foundation Diploma (6 units) is the first year and has 2 exams. If you pass that and leave college it is equivalent to 1 1/2 A levels.
You would then progress to Year 2 and complete another 7 units (and 2 more exams) which is equivalent to the full 3 A Levels.
Have a look at the specification and it gives you all of the details of the units and which ones are external exams;
https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...c_Iss2CUpd.pdf
Thank you so much for the information. I will have a look at the link you set me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you want Freshers' Fairs to work this year?

Completely online (9)
14.75%
A mix of in-person and online options (8)
13.11%
As many in-person events as is safe to do (38)
62.3%
I don't plan on attending a Freshers' Fair (6)
9.84%

Watched Threads