UCL MRes Developmental Neuroscience and Psychopathology

Watch
gedafl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello, I am a current senior attending a state university in California, USA. I am really interested in the Developmental Neuroscience and Psychopathology program at UCL and I would appreciate any tips/advice regarding the application and interview process and how to best prepare, as well as descriptions regarding what current/past student's experiences have been like. I am also wondering if I even have a chance at getting in since I am coming from a very small state school and UCL and Yale are such competitive and prestigious universities. I do have research experience in cognitive psychology and social-cognitive neuroscience. Specifically, I've been working in a lab at my home institution using EEG/ERP methods to study memory. I am also working as a summer intern at a private university researching brain-behavior interactions and their role in social and cognitive development in children with autism. I also have a few other relevant experiences and a rather high gpa. In this way, I feel I am a competitive applicant, but I am sure there are people even stronger and may be way in over my head!
mike23mike
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by gedafl)
Hello, I am a current senior attending a state university in California, USA. I am really interested in the Developmental Neuroscience and Psychopathology program at UCL and I would appreciate any tips/advice regarding the application and interview process and how to best prepare, as well as descriptions regarding what current/past student's experiences have been like. I am also wondering if I even have a chance at getting in since I am coming from a very small state school and UCL and Yale are such competitive and prestigious universities. I do have research experience in cognitive psychology and social-cognitive neuroscience. Specifically, I've been working in a lab at my home institution using EEG/ERP methods to study memory. I am also working as a summer intern at a private university researching brain-behavior interactions and their role in social and cognitive development in children with autism. I also have a few other relevant experiences and a rather high gpa. In this way, I feel I am a competitive applicant, but I am sure there are people even stronger and may be way in over my head!
Hi UCL is a great university but you have a relevant degree and - more importantly - you have relevant work experience. Universities in the UK are ken on international students (show me the money) so you are in a strong position.
madeofcolour
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gedafl)
Hi,
I'll also be applying this year! Although I don't study in the US, it looks like you have a great application - fingers crossed.
I think your research experience will give you a good chance because it's also relevant to the course syllabus. Do you have any publications?

I study in the UK and will be going into my final year starting September. I just finished my placement year of full-time work at a hospital in London in an acute mental illness psychiatric ward as a trainee assistant psychologist. I also have two years of research experience with a cognitive psychology professors at my home institution - this research is based on decision making, pattern identification and mathematical thinking in children using an online game. My dissertation project this year focuses on this research but I'll be observing non-neurotypically developing children (i.e. with ASD, ADHD.) This summer I also have a summer reserach assisstant internship at the Centre of Applied Neuroscience in my home country at a lab where I'll be given the opportunity to study EEG/ERP and programs like MATlab. My marks, unfortunately, are where I lack strength. I'm hoping to increase them in this semester before applying but overall will have a predicted 2:1. I study BSc (Hons) Psychology.

Hope this helps to give you a bit of an idea of what kind of people will apply! I've heard it's extremely competitive but you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket, right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.74%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.32%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.96%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (96)
21.67%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.93%
I haven't started researching yet (46)
10.38%

Watched Threads