IGCSE German - Post school

Watch
Georgev1337
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i have just finished college, and am planning on taking a year out before uni. i have discovered that for one of my main uni options i need to have a gcse in a langage (which i dont have), can anyone advice on the best place/way of learning (I)GCSE german after leaving school? also is it easily doable within just one year of learning?
robertgallacher
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I did my entire Spanish GCSE on Duolingo. I was doing French GCSE in class so I had a huge advantage with the grammar, but I imagine it's easily possible to do without it. I would just work diligently through the Duolingo course, researching the grammar as you do (as Duolingo isn't always the clearest in this regard) then buy a revision guide to fill in any gaps for the specific topics, notably vocabulary and to top up and perfect your grammar. This may take a few months, possibly just shy of a year, but after that you should be in a good place to sit the exam, though a few lessons with an online tutor to master exam technique may help if you want to ensure a higher grade. (A good grip of the grammar and knowing the vocabulary though should easily be enough to get a very strong pass and higher).

Also, if it is UCL, as I suspect it is, I think they do offer the ability to fulfil the language criteria during your course.

"UK students who do not have a GCSE grade 5 (or grade C) or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) on admission to UCL will be required to acquire an equivalent level of language proficiency once they are enrolled with us." - https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...ed%20with%20us.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (30)
7.04%
October 2021 (195)
45.77%
November 2021 (44)
10.33%
December 2021 (57)
13.38%
January 2021 (47)
11.03%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.15%