xizzy12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
for OCR MEI or any spec is maths core 1 and 2 , just AS maths?
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you're talking about looking at past papers - C1/C2 will cover most of what you've covered in the pure part of your AS maths, but there are a few topics that used to only be covered at A2 and some topics which will be absent entirely. The mechanics part of AS maths is mostly M1, with a bit of M2, with the stats being bits of S1/S2/S3. The disclaimer from before applies - doing this won't cover everything. Also, there was a shift in style for stats in particular (but also pure) that means a lot of the questions you'll get in the exam will differ in style from old spec papers. So bear this in mind and balance it with new spec resources.

If you're talking about sitting A-level maths - none of the home maths specs work like this anymore. It used to be the case that C1, C2 and one of S1/M1/D1 made up AS maths but this isn't the case anymore. Edexcel IAL still works like this with C1 and C2 instead titled P1 and P2. (and lines up more closely with the new A(S)-level spec in England) The maths A(S)-level in England is now linear with no options.
Last edited by _gcx; 6 months ago
xizzy12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by _gcx)
If you're talking about looking at past papers - C1/C2 will cover most of what you've covered in the pure part of your AS maths, but there are a few topics that used to only be covered at A2 and some topics which will be absent entirely. The mechanics part of AS maths is mostly M1, with a bit of M2, with the stats being bits of S1/S2/S3. The disclaimer from before applies - doing this won't cover everything. Also, there was a shift in style for stats in particular (but also pure) that means a lot of the questions you'll get in the exam will differ in style from old spec papers. So bear this in mind and balance it with new spec resources.

If you're talking about sitting A-level maths - none of the home maths specs work like this anymore. It used to be the case that C1, C2 and one of S1/M1/D1 made up AS maths but this isn't the case anymore. Edexcel IAL still works like this with C1 and C2 instead titled P1 and P2. (and lines up more closely with the new A(S)-level spec in England) The maths A(S)-level in England is now linear with no options.
so i have learnt all of the topics for OCR MEI pure maths (AS) YEAR 1 but now looking at past papers I think OCR MEI is a new spec or they recently changed everything as a lot of old old past papers are called like advanced maths paper1, so idk and when i looked on PMT for exam qs by topic it has c1,2,3,4 so is c1 and 2 just AS maths or is there more? because i cant find any AS past papers or YEAR 1 content papers
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by xizzy12)
so i have learnt all of the topics for OCR MEI pure maths (AS) YEAR 1 but now looking at past papers I think OCR MEI is a new spec or they recently changed everything as a lot of old old past papers are called like advanced maths paper1, so idk and when i looked on PMT for exam qs by topic it has c1,2,3,4 so is c1 and 2 just AS maths or is there more? because i cant find any AS past papers or YEAR 1 content papers
All specs for A-level maths in England were reformed, it changed for year 12s that started in 2017 so it's been in place for a while now.

I'm not sure if the maths bit of PMT is still being maintained - they still haven't updated their maths question banks for the new spec despite it being around for nearly 3 years now. You will have to (also) look elsewhere because there won't be new style questions and some topics will be missing. (you can get around the latter by looking at the old specs of other exam boards, possibly) You have the sample assessment materials, the 2018 and 2019 AS papers (the latter is locked - you'll have to ask your teacher) and a practice paper set. (also locked)

Aside from this, you have MEI textbook(s) and materials from other exam boards. Anything that talks about C1/2/3/4 is old spec. You can do some C1/2/3/4 papers but you should also do new style questions too. (and put more focus on them)
Last edited by _gcx; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (17)
13.18%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (31)
24.03%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (57)
44.19%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
15.5%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.1%

Watched Threads