Turn on thread page Beta

see you next tuesday. Why? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why do people hate the 'c' word so much? I mean, the meaning is a little harsh but not exactly over the level of other generic swearwords. So why is it so taboo?

ReputationRep:
    I guess it just sounds that little bit more harsh and offensive? Maybe women are just more sensitive about their bits being nicknamed.

ReputationRep:
    I never knew it was such a bad word to use. I used it once infront of some people. The response resulted in me not using it again.

ReputationRep:
    I love the title.

ReputationRep:
    I say it all the time. I can't help it. I need to swear less though, especially when at home - my brother has started copying oops :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chruchill)
    I love the title.

Thanks, no point in having a censored title ;-)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It's just seen as more offensive - to a woman, anyway. :rolleyes: Personally I'd rather be called anything but a "see you next tuesday"

ReputationRep:
    We were discussing this in an English Language lesson at college! It is definitely seen as more taboo than other swear words, but that's because it's regarded as a lot more derogatory and offensive - it can't really be used in a context where it's not being said offensively! I know the same could be said of other terms, but still, there's just something about it that a lot of people (me included) really, really don't like. Having said that, a lot of people do use it and it's entirely up to them - as long as it's not directed at me, it's not a problem! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't use it, but it doesn't bother me when people use it around me at all.

ReputationRep:
    it's a disguisting word!

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I use it too often =/ It doesn't cause any offence if someone says it to me, to me it's just a word...
    Saying that I probably do swear too much.

ReputationRep:
    it's like "****" and "screw".

ReputationRep:
    its kinda one of those words that makes me cringe...plus the word sounds abit urgh anyway....

ReputationRep:
    Why is any word taboo? It's just a string of sounds. I think the only reason any particular set of letters is more offensive than any other is the way it's used, or intended.

It sounds a bit c and t, both harsh-ish sounding letters, and it's short, and it's used to describe a girl's 'bits'...it's just not generally nice, i only ever use it if i'm really pissed off with someone who's being an absolute w*****

ReputationRep:
    Many swear words may socially be recognised as such but do not carry the power associated with why they became taboo.

See you next tuesday however retains this power.

I really hate people who use it flagrantly. To the point I would refuse to hang around with them. It's a social convention kids, and you look like a real see you next tuesday if you keep breaking it.

It has nothing to do with what its named after.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not offended by it at all, and I kinda like the sound it makes.

ReputationRep:
    (The) Crappy User's Not Thinking.

ReputationRep:
    A boy write this in year 6
    I repeated it

I got BADLY told off.

Ever since then you know...

ReputationRep:
    I can't be bothered not to use it.
    But I don't intentionally use it.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.