The Student Room Group

Peterhouse Essay Competition 2020

Scroll to see replies

Totally get what you you mean. A simple ‘Apologies, working from home has caused delays as I am sure you understand. We aim to be sending results out next week’ is all it would have taken.
I still have my fingers crossed for today :frown:
Original post by sm0009
There’s another Peterhouse essay thread where the Peterhouse admissions department said 2 days ago that they’d come out later this week

oh ok thanks - I hadn't seen that. It's unlikely to be the weekend, but who knows?
Original post by sm0009
Totally get what you you mean. A simple ‘Apologies, working from home has caused delays as I am sure you understand. We aim to be sending results out next week’ is all it would have taken.

Completely agree- not a great time for our mental health anyway and it’s quite irresponsible to keep us on tenterhooks for so long
Original post by sm0009
Nope, i did the History one w/ Peterhouse

Out of interest what did people write about??
Original post by coffeelogic

I did the cordyceps essay q
Original post by coffeelogic

I did the history one about a Western view of the Ottoman Empire - what about you?
Original post by Pythagoras1234
I did the cordyceps essay q

Hey, I did that as well! :biggrin: How did you find it?
Original post by HaddockRag
Hey, I did that as well! :biggrin: How did you find it?

i found having to research very difficult as there are so many different forms of cordyceps wbu
i found having to research very difficult as there are so many different forms of cordyceps wbu

I did Cordyceps as well, however I mainly focused on O. Unilateralis

I found it ok - but I only looked at the species that attacked the ants. I basically said in mine that the ants are screwed forever haha
Hi everyone! We're sorry it's taken longer than expected and we are doing everything we can to get results out to you as soon as possible.

However, we'd also like to reassure you that how you do in this competition will not play any role in university admissions. It's not going to make a difference to whether you get a place at Cambridge or any other university. Every year we make offers to those who entered and won as well as those who entered and did not win or didn't enter at all. What's far, far more important is what you've already done - the research and how you analysed what you found out. Saying that you won the competition will get you a little credit with Admissions Tutors, but what's much more impressive is saying what you discovered during the course of writing your essay and how that relates to other things you've read.

Of course, it's only natural to find out how you did and to want to win, but please don't be disheartened if you didn't.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi everyone! We're sorry it's taken longer than expected and we are doing everything we can to get results out to you as soon as possible.

However, we'd also like to reassure you that how you do in this competition will not play any role in university admissions. It's not going to make a difference to whether you get a place at Cambridge or any other university. Every year we make offers to those who entered and won as well as those who entered and did not win or didn't enter at all. What's far, far more important is what you've already done - the research and how you analysed what you found out. Saying that you won the competition will get you a little credit with Admissions Tutors, but what's much more impressive is saying what you discovered during the course of writing your essay and how that relates to other things you've read.

Of course, it's only natural to find out how you did and to want to win, but please don't be disheartened if you didn't.

Thanks for the update. Is it the aim for results to be emailed today? (17/7).

Totally understand what you say about the weight of it though; completely agree.
It would be nice if we were updated more promptly as the website still promises results in early June. Far from just acting as an admissions bonus the competition should surely stand in its only right and while understandably it isn’t your top priority, a lot of us put a lot of time into our essays and therefore would have appreciated communication from the college to be more proactive as a lot of students don’t even use student room and may not be aware of the situation.
Original post by Sophiabop
It would be nice if we were updated more promptly as the website still promises results in early June. Far from just acting as an admissions bonus the competition should surely stand in its only right and while understandably it isn’t your top priority, a lot of us put a lot of time into our essays and therefore would have appreciated communication from the college to be more proactive as a lot of students don’t even use student room and may not be aware of the situation.

Agreed, but I just wanna know if we can expect emails today or next week.

Saying 'a few weeks' helps nobody - giving a specific, concrete day and sticking to it would be much better for all of us..
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 36
Agreed. But it looks like from their message that even they don’t know.... I would be pretty confident in saying that we won’t get them until next week unfortunately
Original post by HGB16
Agreed. But it looks like from their message that even they don’t know.... I would be pretty confident in saying that we won’t get them until next week unfortunately

Damn. I was under the impression that 'as soon as possible' would mean a couple of hours - I was still hopeful that we'd get them today at 5ish.

Idk. An update from them, stating a specific day - or even just 'today', 'early next week' or 'late next week' would be nice. Still not particularly helpful, but as helpful as we're gonna get atm lol
I'm afraid I can't update you, because I simply don't know. We are waiting on something outside of our control, and once that's sorted, we will be able to send them. We would very much like for it to be today, but if not it will be before the end of Monday.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
I'm afraid I can't update you, because I simply don't know. We are waiting on something outside of our control, and once that's sorted, we will be able to send them. We would very much like for it to be today, but if not it will be before the end of Monday.

Ok, so worst case scenario by close of business Monday. That's reasonable, all things considered.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending