Kent (Canterbury) v Essex for Law-have to choose by Tuesday!!!Please help... Watch

Jinxed
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by eve_22)
I have looked at Essex page on Wikepedia, so maybe check out that for Sussex, if you havent yet...Will you be commuting from London? If so, check the distance and travel times as well, I do believe it will play a big role if you are there fro three years...

I wanted to apply for Sussex as well, but somehow didnt...Looked at its rankings, the Law society website, its Law Fair etc. and decided that I wont...It just doesnt appeal to me that much...

I have spent a lot of time, posting here and asking people questions, and someone has pointed out that looking at the league tables might not be the best idea-it does change over time and who knows where the Uni will be when you graduate...

I think I will probably go with Essex, as it is closer and it will probably make my life much much easier...Kent is around two hours of commuting each way, which makes four to go there and back, while Essex takes around 55 minutes...

I do like Essex, although not for its campus and the looks of it, but for other factors which certainly are important to me...At the end, wherever you choose to go, it will be what you make it- your grades and performance in general will decide the major part of your future...
I used to go to essex so it's not really an issue for me about how good it is. The only concern is that is has dropped 12 places. Yes I used to drive up there but gonna be getting the train if I decide to go there from liverpool street, tickets are like £6 each way and you can get a 1/3 off national rail card. So it works out cheaper. I am thinking maybe to get accom, a friend of mine is also deciding between essex/sussex and we will be going wherever we choose together.

I am surprised sussex didn't appeal to you. I know it's a little further but as an overall university it is stronger then essex and they still have places in llb law.

League tables to matter and looking at them every year gives you an idea of how strong the university gets year by year. If it hoovers around the same place, that is what you want but as I stated before essex dropping has set the bells off for me. I went to essex between 02-04 and it was ranked an average 27-30 but it's 42 now.

I am not sure, monday is bank holiday so gives me an extra day to decide. I might ring some others universities like reading and see if I can get into there.

I am surprised you are not looking at birkbeck university, since they are apart of unioflon and therefore ranked among the best. And for an extra year, it might be worth it considering you work?
eve_22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Jinxed)
I used to go to essex so it's not really an issue for me about how good it is. The only concern is that is has dropped 12 places. Yes I used to drive up there but gonna be getting the train if I decide to go there from liverpool street, tickets are like £6 each way and you can get a 1/3 off national rail card. So it works out cheaper. I am thinking maybe to get accom, a friend of mine is also deciding between essex/sussex and we will be going wherever we choose together.

I am surprised sussex didn't appeal to you. I know it's a little further but as an overall university it is stronger then essex and they still have places in llb law.

League tables to matter and looking at them every year gives you an idea of how strong the university gets year by year. If it hoovers around the same place, that is what you want but as I stated before essex dropping has set the bells off for me. I went to essex between 02-04 and it was ranked an average 27-30 but it's 42 now.

I am not sure, monday is bank holiday so gives me an extra day to decide. I might ring some others universities like reading and see if I can get into there.

I am surprised you are not looking at birkbeck university, since they are apart of unioflon and therefore ranked among the best. And for an extra year, it might be worth it considering you work?

I am 22 years old already and do not want to waste another year...I know it might sound silly, but I really want to just get on with a course and start planning my life...birkbeck is great, I know, but even if I finish the access course there (legal method), I still would have no guarantee of entering a uni such as KCL or UCL etc.

Rankings do matter, I know that, but they change from year to year and in Lae Essex still ranks over Sussex (Times Good Uni guide)...

i dont know why i did not want to apply for sussex at the end...maybe it was a wrong choice to make, but hey I will see whether it was in the future
Jinxed
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by eve_22)
I am 22 years old already and do not want to waste another year...I know it might sound silly, but I really want to just get on with a course and start planning my life...birkbeck is great, I know, but even if I finish the access course there (legal method), I still would have no guarantee of entering a uni such as KCL or UCL etc.

Rankings do matter, I know that, but they change from year to year and in Lae Essex still ranks over Sussex (Times Good Uni guide)...

i dont know why i did not want to apply for sussex at the end...maybe it was a wrong choice to make, but hey I will see whether it was in the future
From what I can see http://www.sussex.ac.uk/cdec/lawfair_listing.php there is no magic circle names there who are doing law events at sussex while you have firms like A & O, eversheds and s & s at the fair for essex. That HAS to be a big plus. Meh.. I got alot of thinking to do.
Solya
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah you started a new thread on this.

Look, all this thinking isn't getting you any farther in making your decision. This is not about how good the unis are academically, it's about how much you need to travel. You should be asking yourself, like, do I want to commute to uni 2 hours or 55 minutes every day? Answer yes/no, done. Kent and Essex are pretty close in the league tables so its not an Oxbridge vs Middlesex thing. Asking more and more ppl about the reputations of the unis will make you more and more unsure.

As I said before I'd go for Kent, I feel it has a better reputation and you're attracted to it a lot more than to Essex, am I right? You can start worrying about problems later, now it's time just to choose a uni. You should think about how you'll feel after you've chosen each, if you choose Essex won't you feel that you missed out on a better uni and a better atmosphere, and maybe better jobs just for minus 1 hours commuting a day, or if you choose Kent will you think the extra effort is worth for what the uni has to offer.
You mentioned you could move to the Kent campus, that's a good idea imo.
Don't worry so much you don't have anything to lose by now. Just be happy you made it to decent unis
eve_22
Rep:
?
(Original post by wideawake)
Fair enough. No-one can blame you for trying to make the best of things for you both and trying to crate a good future. 22 is still young though so don't worry about age.

Hope it all works out for you

EDIT: I'e just looked into what Jinxed said about Birkbeck and realised they have a 4 year part time LLB with places still available for this year. Woud you consider that as it would surely make life a bit easier for you with your job, living in London and then when your son arrives childcare will be easier to organise. An extra year really is nothing in the grand scheme of things and, as I said before, if you are happy and not struggling to manage home and family life alongside uni work then you are likely to b more successful acadmically. As you don't need to apply through UCAS for Birkbeck you could take one of the places you have been offered in clearing and look into Birkbeck in the meantime. I don't think you would have to do their access course as you have already done one semester of an LLB so hae proven your academic abilities and they have no specific a level requirements for students over 21.
Thank you for your kind words...I looked at Birkebck already...Their degree takes 4 years to finish, the Law Society is not as active as that of Essex and other universities where degree is offered full time only...I think I will accept the offer of Essex and just see what happens in the mean time...I contacted the Essex nursery and they said if my kid comes during the second term, they will do their best to give him a place...I made an appointment to visit the nursery this October...

As for schooling, I am slightly comfused, as he does not speak any english whatsoever, and I do believe it might be difficult for him to enter school right away...

In my own country we send kids to school once they are 6/7, however, I need to find out a bit more about the schooling system here too..One thing I know for sure is that nurseries do not accept children past age of 5...

If things get too difficult, I might look into transferring university at a later stage to London...I know that Queen Mary accept the direct second year entry students, provided they meet the entry requirements and have a good reason for transfer...

I know it might look a bit messy right now, but I do believe it will work out at the end...It has to...Even if I dont get a chance of transfer and continue at Essex, while my son goes to school in London, I still believe that I will manage, as the university always gives the priority to parents, when schedulling their lecture times etc...Well, or so it says on their website

On a good note, I am starting work exp. at a solicitor practice on Tuesday, for a week, which I got arranged through a friend, so am very excited and pleased about it...I will accept the place at Essex and just see how it works out...At the end, it will always be what I make of it, and I know I am determined and motivated to work hard...

Thank you for all your help...
eve_22
Rep:
?
(Original post by wideawake)
I forgot about the fact your son probably wouldn't speak English when I was thinking of schooling. Sorry! Sounds like you have things settled more in your mind now and confidence in your decision which is great

Hope you enjoy your work experience and best of luck for the future (although I am sure you won't need luck - you sound very determined to succeed)
Thank you for encouraging me to finally make up my mind...I guess I needed that And although I am not as sure of the future now as i would like to be, i at least know what are my next steps towards it...

I do hope it all works out for the best though...

Good luck to you with your medical studies (I saw you are a 4th year medical student please correct me if i am wrong) and keep in touch...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?