JoshhhhB9
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi, I am currently 15 and just finished my first year of GCSES. When I started my GCSEs I changed school just before I started, meaning I didn't have the choice of doing double or triple award science. I want to be able to do physics A level, is there any way I could go back and study double or triple award science after I finish my gcses?
Omgcobbly
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Its a requirement to so science at GCSE, so nearly everyone takes either double or triple science. You can do either double or triple science to do Physics A Level but I don't think you can do it if you're doing single science. Its not easy to retake any GCSEs that aren't maths or English, so I think going back again to do just 2/3 GCSEs is not possible in a lot of schools.
xXSkyFireXx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by JoshhhhB9)
Hi, I am currently 15 and just finished my first year of GCSES. When I started my GCSEs I changed school just before I started, meaning I didn't have the choice of doing double or triple award science. I want to be able to do physics A level, is there any way I could go back and study double or triple award science after I finish my gcses?
I'm an A-level student and did combined science at foundation level (I passed). You probably could be able to do a GCSE double or triple course on the side of A-level physics, or you could take the double or triple GCSE before applying for college. Not sure if that's helpful, but all I can think of. Even though I did combined science at foundation level, I managed to take an A-level Biology course, so I don't think you'd necessarily have to go back and study double or triple GCSE to be able to do Physics at A-level.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
What Science GCSEs are you doing? I thought there was barely anywhere in England (Wales or NI) that didn't require students to take at least 2 Science GCSEs
JoshhhhB9
Rep:
?
(Original post by xXSkyFireXx)
I'm an A-level student and did combined science at foundation level (I passed). You probably could be able to do a GCSE double or triple course on the side of A-level physics, or you could take the double or triple GCSE before applying for college. Not sure if that's helpful, but all I can think of. Even though I did combined science at foundation level, I managed to take an A-level Biology course, so I don't think you'd necessarily have to go back and study double or triple GCSE to be able to do Physics at A-level.
Would I be allowed to do an A-level science with only combined science? I want to be a pilot and although it is not necessary for airlines like easyjet, most others require at least 2 A levels (or equivalent). They don't have to be physics and maths although I think that might help. Idk
JoshhhhB9
Rep:
?
The British airways website says this, "GCSE Maths, English and Science excluding General studies and Critical Thinking, grade C/4 and above plus 112 UCAS points according to the 2017 UCAS point system or equivalent (academic and vocational qualifications accepted)." If I have the UCAS points will they even care what subjects they were?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Would I be allowed to do an A-level science with only combined science? I want to be a pilot and although it is not necessary for airlines like easyjet, most others require at least 2 A levels (or equivalent). They don't have to be physics and maths although I think that might help. Idk
If you're doing a 2 GCSE sized Combined Science* than this is enough to do Science A levels.
*In England this is the only option (i.e. there is not a single GCSE in Combined Science) , so if you're doing Combined Science in England it must be worth 2 GCSEs.
Last edited by Compost; 4 months ago
xXSkyFireXx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Since I did combined science and am now taking A-level Biology, I think you would be able to take A-level Physics with combined science GCSE.
bejie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
yeah with combined most schools will allow you take all sciences only if you get the grades, so at least a 6 in science, if ur interested in engineering you would probs take 2 of physics/maths/further maths/chem/computer sci and anything else u want or all three if you fancy, just work hard to get the grades really which is the tricky part imo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.62%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (351)
29.15%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.67%

Watched Threads