Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emers)
    I got 'Origin of Species' from my mum and a card from my dad.

It was only 1 GCSE which I acquired by accident (don't ask!).
    i'm asking!

accident?:confused: lol

ReputationRep:
    My parents helped me buy a laptop and some driving lessons- about £250 in total but I really think £1000 is a lot for GCSEs. In 2 years you'll (probably) have A Levels and what will you get for that? 3 years later a degree... I think £200-£500 is very generous and you can get A LOT for that amount of money.

I think the problem with Apple is you are paying a lot for the name and you will need a laptop more for uni then anything so Id probably wait until then..I know that might be annoying but I dont mean dont get anything now but wait for a laptop. Needing it more for uni and using Moore's Law- technology will double in size/capacity or half in price every 18 months- it is best to wait. And personally, having researched this, I believe Apple is so expensive you should shop around on specifications first if you want a Laptop. It doesnt matter if its got a cool name or look youre the one whose going to be mostly using it so youre not going to be staring at the outside but care about its capabilities.

And I know a lot people will hate me saying this but GCSEs are only building blocks you deserve a present of that calibre for a degree or at most A levels. Your Dad could be rich though and if thats it then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    I did mine two years ago and my mum picked me up from work with a lovely bunch of flowers and a congratulations card.

Then for my A Level results this year, I got a massive bunch of flowers from my nan, several cards, a congratulations balloon from my mum and a £5a from my step dad's mum.

We don't have any money, I think it's more about the thought, and just seeing how proud of me my mum was, but there ya go.

ReputationRep:
    I got a pat on the back, and my new school uniform :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    7 years ago I got £100 per A or A* for the first 6 A grades, then £200 per A/A* for each one after. Got £1400. Nothing for AS/A2 grades or my first degree (but then didn't expect it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Wow congrats, on your 14 A*s! Makes my 11.5 look a bit weak lol. :p:
    He may have done crappy subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I got a well done and a meal out when I did my GCSEs :p:

For my AS results I got a card from my all of boyfriend's family and one from his brother's fiancee which is incredibly sweet and I got a telling off by my own parents for staying out too late :p: I say get the iMac! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    Well i did really crap lol A*AAAAABBBBB :mad: (hehe getting sum remarked) but my mum thought it was really good and bought me a vintage mx5 (£2500) + driving lessons + £50 for license thingy, a £699 laptop for sixth form , and £300 spending money XD
    Just a tad spoiled then ..:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My reward was to NOT get beaten up :p:

Only joking (I'm not :ninja:)

ReputationRep:
    combination of 8A*s and As = £11000 budget on first car not including insurance still have to pass my test like haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    my mum thought it was really good
    She's right...

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get anything. They're paying for me to go on holiday with a friend but that had nothing to do with my results. One of my friends is getting a personalised number plate costing £1000, and somebody else is getting over a £1000 in cash. Spending £1000 on someone is a bit drastic, but I think that's better then giving them that much in cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)
    I got a pat on the back, and my new school uniform :rolleyes:
    YAY :p: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laith)
    He may have done crappy subjects.
    He didn't. None of them were for art, drama, DT media, business, dance etc...

Japanese, History, Geography, French, Sciences etc

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D a v e)
    Just a tad spoiled then ..:rolleyes:
    I've always thought that really spoilt people deserve sympathy, not envy, 'cos they'll be growing up highly deficient in some areas of life.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently my mum bought me a new mobile, shoes and an mp3 player for doing well :indiff:

OMG 1337 POSTS, i deserve some pos. rep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliecapehorn)
    So have you/will you be getting a gift or treat from your parents for doing well in your GCSEs? My Dad jokingly said to me when we were in the Apple Store last year (whilst we were looking at one of the new iMacs) "Get all A*s in your GCSEs and you can have one of them" - thinking that there wasn't much chance he'd have to honour that...

Well, I did get all A*s (14 of them) and now I'm feeling guilty about him spending £1000 of his money on a computer that (although I would love!) I don't really need. But, he did say that he would honour his promise...

What have you got as a gift, if anything? And, should I allow him to agree to what he has said and get this computer?
    I'd feel pretty bad about that lol :p:

Well done on your results by the way

When I did my GCSEs I didn't really get anything except a nice warm feeling inside. I was doing it for myself anyway :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trefusis128)
    My reward was to NOT get beaten up :p:

Only joking (I'm not :ninja:)
    LOOOOOOL I can relate. Jus kiddin. (Not.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)
    I've always thought that really spoilt people deserve sympathy, not envy, 'cos they'll be growing up highly deficient in some areas of life.
    I agree completely. I'm deficient in the material goods on the scale he's given, but he's deficient in mant of the life lessons I've gained.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.