Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    My parents helped me buy a laptop and some driving lessons- about £250 in total but I really think £1000 is a lot for GCSEs. In 2 years you'll (probably) have A Levels and what will you get for that? 3 years later a degree... I think £200-£500 is very generous and you can get A LOT for that amount of money.

I think the problem with Apple is you are paying a lot for the name and you will need a laptop more for uni then anything so Id probably wait until then..I know that might be annoying but I dont mean dont get anything now but wait for a laptop. Needing it more for uni and using Moore's Law- technology will double in size/capacity or half in price every 18 months- it is best to wait. And personally, having researched this, I believe Apple is so expensive you should shop around on specifications first if you want a Laptop. It doesnt matter if its got a cool name or look youre the one whose going to be mostly using it so youre not going to be staring at the outside but care about its capabilities.

And I know a lot people will hate me saying this but GCSEs are only building blocks you deserve a present of that calibre for a degree or at most A levels. Your Dad could be rich though and if thats it then go for it!
    Maybe I am an AppleWhore, but you are definitely NOT just paying for the Apple brand. There are so many advantages to switching it's just ridiculous.

So, I'm a fanboy. Guess what, I got an iPhone :P

ReputationRep:
    I got a nice meal out (admittedly it was at one of the best resteraunts in Italy and was close to £170 a head), but nothing else apart from that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    YAY :p: :woo:
    Similar to yours? :p:

(Original post by persian.royalty)
    Absolutely nothing.
    Hell yeah :headbang:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    I agree completely. I'm deficient in the material goods on the scale he's given, but he's deficient in mant of the life lessons I've gained.

:yep: :p:

(Original post by mackemforever)
    I got a nice meal out (admittedly it was at one of the best resteraunts in Italy and was close to £170 a head), but nothing else apart from that.
    170 a head? o.o

ReputationRep:
    right i got A,B,B,B,C,C,C,D,E and my dad wanted to buy me something. Keep in mind i had a beat down in mind cuz i thought i wouldent even get 5 a - c's. so we went to town and my dad was quiet happy but i felt sad so i got a 30 pound necklace cuz i didnt want him to spend money on me if i did that badly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)

170 a head? o.o
    he did say best lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)
    Similar to yours? :p:

Hell yeah :headbang:

Yep :p:.

Although I slightly beat you. I got a hypothetical meal. I say I got a meal as the sentiment was there from my parents, but the meal never actually happened...

So yes, I got nothing except a false promise :p:

ReputationRep:
    I got the whole "Good grades are rewarding enough" line, alas, i didn't get anything.

ReputationRep:
    i got a watch for my a-levels (not an expensive one) and 2 weeks holiday in london in a youth hostel - loved it!

ReputationRep:
    Well I didn't really get anything and as nice as it would be to get money for my hard earned grades I'd rather not be paid just for doing well. My mum bought me some elle mc pherson lingerie but she was going to buy me some anyway and I went to cafe rouge avec mes parents. I was motivated on my own, I didn't need bribes to do well but it would have been lovely to have gotten some of the gifts you guys got.

ReputationRep:
    nothing..
    im just happy got 3 A* and 6 A and a level 2 in CoPE (which is a B in GCSE)... i wasn't expecting it either coz i was predicted with 1 A* 1 A 3 B 5 C ..

Edit: Did my GCSE in a year.. english is my second language..

ReputationRep:
    I got a camera- Canon Powershot G9 Didn't even do as well as was predicted either :s

ReputationRep:
    I got a plane

ReputationRep:
    I got £100 from my parents and £50 from my nan which i wasnt expecting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CwSj)
    Maybe I am an AppleWhore, but you are definitely NOT just paying for the Apple brand. There are so many advantages to switching it's just ridiculous.
    Yes you are.

ReputationRep:
    For my GCSEs, I received £100 for each A*, £50 for each A and nothing for any other grade. So, I managed to 'cream off' £700!!

I also received a professional Panasonic digital camera (c. £500), a rolex oyster perpetual datejust watch (c. £2725) and a laptop.

Not bad...

ReputationRep:
    I got a desktop computer for my GCSE results. I gave it to my younger brother last week though as i bought a laptop for uni.

ReputationRep:
    I vaguely remember my mum buying me a Mars bar after my GCSE results. Then again, they weren't exactly spectacular.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get anything from my parents apart from a "well done" from my Dad and my Mum reminding me my grades were "very respectable," after I kept commenting on how disapointed I was not to get any A*'s [I was predicted 2 A*'s for the English's]

However my Grandparents took me & my mum out for a Chinese & gave me £50 & a card, and I also got a card & some choc digestives from a friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CwSj)

So, I'm a fanboy. Guess what, I got an iPhone :P
    No, i agree, I have a mac desktop at home and it is soooo much better than my other comps (death to dell, lol), they are more reliable, hardly ever get viruses and generally emit rays of coolness!

(Original post by simmerz91)
    For my GCSEs, I received £100 for each A*, £50 for each A and nothing for any other grade. So, I managed to 'cream off' £700!!

I also received a professional Panasonic digital camera (c. £500), a rolex oyster perpetual datejust watch (c. £2725) and a laptop.

Not bad...
    Another case of why would you want/accept all that stuff from your parents, At the ripe ol' age of 16, you don't need a rolex, you could also try doing what most people do and get a job to pay for all these things yourself! I'm all for a small reward but that is too much especially when it's not needed!

The satisfaction of getting good grades to help your future career should be incentive enough to do well, 'creaming' all this money off your parents means that you're probably just going to waste it, why not say 'no' to the rewards for GCSEs and wait until you really need the money, ie when you go to uni!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.