Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneyfaery)
    I've always been :eek: at people who get "gifted" for good grades. I think our parents are so used to the grades that they just expect it. However, getting good grades doesn't really benefit anyone but me so that's a gift in itself, no? :p:
    I couldn't agree more

It just surprises me how much people are rewarded for something that ultimately only affects them anyway - i would expect some kind of gift for getting into uni, but not just for doing well at gcse

This is probably just jealousy talking :p:

ReputationRep:
    since im asian i didnt get **** i got a slap for every B or below haha

joking just a warm hug from mum and dad and seeing a smile on their faces was good enough

ReputationRep:
    I got a firm handshake and an eviction notice

ReputationRep:
    My parents sent off and bought me my provisional driving license (£50), and my grandparents gave me £50 too, I wasn't expecting anything off them really, but I'm happy and really grateful to both my parents and grandparents.

ReputationRep:
    Gah, you shouldn't need rewards to get you motivated. What are you gonna do in work? 'Can I have £1000. Just so I can motivate myself to do the filing?' :rolleyes:

Anyways I got £200 off my nan and grandad which was totally unexpected, it leaves me with about £40 after I have paid my mum off for prom stuff and my phone.

From her I got nowt, though I know money is tight. First of all I thoguht I wasn't even getting a card which sucked But yarrr I did So all's good.

& I got hugs from a very special person who said they were proud of me. That's worth more than all the money in the world

ReputationRep:
    I got £100 and a laptop oh and my rent paid for for the next 2 years at least in my flat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by persian.royalty)
    Yeah I got that line too.
    Me too

ReputationRep:
    I got a watch for my GCSE results, my bf said he'd take me abroad if I did well in my ASs (no one thought I would) and I have (ABBD) but he seems to have forgotten that...

My sister got straight A*s at GCSEs and has been told she can have anything that adds up to £200 as long as one item will last so that she can remember how proud they were...I shoulda worked harder!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliecapehorn)
    So have you/will you be getting a gift or treat from your parents for doing well in your GCSEs? My Dad jokingly said to me when we were in the Apple Store last year (whilst we were looking at one of the new iMacs) "Get all A*s in your GCSEs and you can have one of them" - thinking that there wasn't much chance he'd have to honour that...

Well, I did get all A*s (14 of them) and now I'm feeling guilty about him spending £1000 of his money on a computer that (although I would love!) I don't really need. But, he did say that he would honour his promise...

What have you got as a gift, if anything? And, should I allow him to agree to what he has said and get this computer?
    The most grown up thing you can do is talk to your dad. Explain that you think he may have been joking with the computer thing and you wouldn't be offended if you didn't receive it. That way your not going to feel guilty, like he's being forced in to it.

ReputationRep:
    got nothing from my parents
    £25 from my nan
    however my parents has said that they will get me an old mini when i learn to drive
    and just before i got my results i went on a £1000+ each holiday to turkey with them that on the day of results day i was traveling back from so pretty fair really

ReputationRep:
    i got:
    1)a three hour wait untill my dad would pick up his phone.
    2)a 12 hour wait untill my mum was awake (but still had too tell her in an answer messege) because she went on holiday too new zealand, and i 'gt' too stay behind and findout my results.

heard NOTHING since.

5 A's, 2 b's, 2 c's 1 D.

lets just say, im not feeling 'loved' at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I got a laptop, which I needed at that point because I did ICT.during my first stab at AS's.

Its still working, and I plan on taking it to school every day in september-december because I have 2 bits of coursework that need to be done for december.

For my AS's this year I got a new top, bag, belt, shoes and jeans, and my mum was just like "We could buy you a new pandora charm." but I was like "save it for my A2's"

My dads just like "if you get into uni, We'll buy you a new laptop."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicyvix)
    Another case of why would you want/accept all that stuff from your parents, At the ripe ol' age of 16, you don't need a rolex, you could also try doing what most people do and get a job to pay for all these things yourself! I'm all for a small reward but that is too much especially when it's not needed!

The satisfaction of getting good grades to help your future career should be incentive enough to do well, 'creaming' all this money off your parents means that you're probably just going to waste it, why not say 'no' to the rewards for GCSEs and wait until you really need the money, ie when you go to uni!
    Wow, chill out...
    I'm sorry I received all this stuff - clearly struck a nerve, huh?
    Oh and BTW...Firstly, yes, a 16 yr old could need a rolex. Secondly, I have a job - I probably earn more than most 35 yr olds, per annum. Thirdly, I didn't ask for any of this stuff...my parents just happen to be minted. Fourth, I didn't waste the money I received, I invested it. Fifth, I don't need the money for uni, cos' mummy will pay it all for me. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliecapehorn)
    So have you/will you be getting a gift or treat from your parents for doing well in your GCSEs? My Dad jokingly said to me when we were in the Apple Store last year (whilst we were looking at one of the new iMacs) "Get all A*s in your GCSEs and you can have one of them" - thinking that there wasn't much chance he'd have to honour that...

Well, I did get all A*s (14 of them) and now I'm feeling guilty about him spending £1000 of his money on a computer that (although I would love!) I don't really need. But, he did say that he would honour his promise...

What have you got as a gift, if anything? And, should I allow him to agree to what he has said and get this computer?
    if you don't need it right now then i would wait until you go to uni and ask him to get it then- you will need it then, plus you will get student discount!

for my gcse's my dad said for every A* i got i would get £50, £10 for every A and lise £20 for every B, i ended with nothing lol because i got a D in some additional maths gcse we were supposed to do in school.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. when I do mine I will be hoping not to be called a 'cow' or '*****' or 'failiure' or 'useless' by my mum who normally calls me all those things

ReputationRep:
    I cant belive what i am reading and hearing in this thread,getting laptops,over 500 pounds in cash for good GCSE grades,I never once in my life got anything like this as GCSEs came out a year after i left School.If thats what ur parents are giving u now i cant imagine what u will all get when u pass your A levels or degrees a more expensive car perhaps,your first flat etc.When i got my degree as i left school with no qualifications whatso ever missed a lot of school through illness anyway i got a nice meal,two cards and a small present and that was it.They seems to be some spoiled kids on here.Grow up and get in the real world Gcses like someone has already stated are just the milestones in the educational system and thats all they are.when u get to degree thats when the really hard work starts.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My Dad sent me a card with a £50 cheque! I was shocked lol didn't epect anything

ReputationRep:
    Loads of people I know were offered things like £50 per A, £40 per B and so on.

My parents said they'd let me live at home for another 2 years :rolleyes:

I didn't actually sit my GCSEs because I was ill so just got given some grades by the exam boards but I was bought some nice things and we had a meal as a way of marking the occasion and to congratulate me on alright results without taking any exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simmerz91)
    Wow, chill out...
    I'm sorry I received all this stuff - clearly struck a nerve, huh?
    Oh and BTW...Firstly, yes, a 16 yr old could need a rolex. Secondly, I have a job - I probably earn more than most 35 yr olds, per annum. Thirdly, I didn't ask for any of this stuff...my parents just happen to be minted. Fourth, I didn't waste the money I received, I invested it. Fifth, I don't need the money for uni, cos' mummy will pay it all for me. :cool:
    Enlighten me on why a 16 year old would need a rolex.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.