jaffacakehero
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I've applied to be a pharmacy counter assistant at my local Morrisons. I was wondering what the likelihood of me getting the job. I'm a 17 year old girl who has a feeding tube. Although they aren't allowed to discriminate, my parents said that they will. Also, If anyone knows what it's like to work as a Pharmacy counter assistant, I would really appreciate your insight into what its like.

thanks
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jaffacakehero)
Hi, I've applied to be a pharmacy counter assistant at my local Morrisons. I was wondering what the likelihood of me getting the job. I'm a 17 year old girl who has a feeding tube. Although they aren't allowed to discriminate, my parents said that they will. Also, If anyone knows what it's like to work as a Pharmacy counter assistant, I would really appreciate your insight into what its like.

thanks
If you get the job you will have to do a course on over the counter medicines, and pharmacy law and ethics, etc. I hope you have a thick skin and do not get upset easily or suffer from anxiety or any mental health problems as the general public can be incredibly rude, especially regarding their health, and if they are ill and the prescription the GP promised to send over hasn't appeared, some of them will explode in a fit of rage like a toddler. Just hold your breath and let them rant for a few minutes.
The Golden rule, should you get the job is, take everything professionally, not personally.
jaffacakehero
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0895)
If you get the job you will have to do a course on over the counter medicines, and pharmacy law and ethics, etc. I hope you have a thick skin and do not get upset easily or suffer from anxiety or any mental health problems as the general public can be incredibly rude, especially regarding their health, and if they are ill and the prescription the GP promised to send over hasn't appeared, some of them will explode in a fit of rage like a toddler. Just hold your breath and let them rant for a few minutes.
The Golden rule, should you get the job is, take everything professionally, not personally.
Thanks
this is really helpful. I'll definitely work on and remember that. I do have autism but I'm usually quite good at compartmentalising my emotions.
Last edited by jaffacakehero; 1 month ago
jaffacakehero
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0895)
How long do you think the course will last and will I be able to work whilst on the course if it's long?
thank you so much
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jaffacakehero)
How long do you think the course will last and will I be able to work whilst on the course if it's long?
thank you so much
It varies from company to company. Some may be work-book based and others may be on computer. You study as you work, sometimes you may need to do the course or reading at home. Again, course length varies, may be 6/12/15/18 months.
Don't worry about it. You may be assigned an in-store tutor who will probably be the pharmacist (or one of the pharmacists if in a big store/supermarket) or sometimes an external contact, but the on-duty pharmacist should be able to help you. They're not difficult. You will mainly learn customer service skills, prescription types, and the main bulk is usually OTC meds learning and how to listen to symptoms from a patient using the WWHAM method of questioning, and when to refer to the pharmacist and when to make a sale. Also an introduction to pharmacy laws and ethics and SOPs to work to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (114)
25.85%
Better than expected (92)
20.86%
Worse than expected (235)
53.29%

Watched Threads