jadelsadek
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I currently have an offer from York for Business Management, and I am still waiting for decisions from Newcastle and Bath for the same program, and I am thinking which one to choose in case I get an offer from all of them.So please could you advise how good is Nightlife, Social life, making friends, accommodation, and studies in each of them?
username5304322
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
For nightlife, I'd say Newcastle would be your best bet. In terms of ranking, probably Bath at the top but they're all good universities
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by jadelsadek)
I currently have an offer from York for Business Management, and I am still waiting for decisions from Newcastle and Bath for the same program, and I am thinking which one to choose in case I get an offer from all of them.So please could you advise how good is Nightlife, Social life, making friends, accommodation, and studies in each of them?
Hey jadelsadek,

Great to hear you have applied to Bath - I'm a final year Management student here so hopefully I can help.

Nightlife
Campus
The SU hosts Klass on a Saturday and Score (sports night) on a Wednesday. These were some of my best nights as a fresher - so easy to get to and something most of the flat were up for every week. Additionally, there are other activities such as 2-4-1 cocktails and Happy Hour (very popular across all years) hosted in the SU during the week.
City
Liveliness - Bath isn't the craziest city for nightlife, it's pretty small and there are about 5 clubs that people go to regularly (Bridge, Komedia, Moles, Po Na Na & Zero Zero). However, I enjoyed it because there is a real student community feel on a night out which I think could get lost in a big city. But, I can imagine if you are used to city nightlife, Bath could feel quite lowkey. Some students head to Bristol for a bigger night out which is only 10 mins away by train. In this sense, Bath is great if you want to live in a homely, student city whilst still being able to enjoy a bigger nightlife scene in Bristol.
Music - In terms of music, there's charts and cheese mostly, but there are house and techno nights throughout the year too.
Pubs/bars - As well as clubs, there are some pretty cool pubs and bars in Bath which I tended to go to more in final year - some do 2-4-1 cocktail nights.
Gigs - Moles (one of the club venues) hosts small gigs which is pretty cool but you won't find many concerts going on in Bath but again you can go to Bristol for that.

Social life
There is plenty to experience aside from the nightlife in Bath including museums, theatres, cinemas, shopping, parks etc. Have a look HERE for a good overview to living in Bath as a student.

Making friends
The atmosphere on campus is very welcoming and I always found there were lots of opportunities to make friends (sports, societies, volunteering, jobs etc. on campus). In first year, it is much easier to meet people because you live in large accommodation blocks and constantly run into familiar faces on campus (bonus of a campus university). My advice would be to spread your wings as much as you can early on before friendship groups get too established. I put all my effort into my flatmates which meant first year was amazing, but naturally the group got smaller as we moved through the years and I hadn't really joined any sports or societies where I could meet other people. Whilst I was really lucky to get on with my flatmates, some students feel lonely in their accommodation and on their course, but the university have a lot of support services to help e.g. The Wellbeing Service run a Social Networking Group. Just remember that everybody is new when you start uni so you're all as nervous as each other about whether you'll make friends - just try and put yourself out there.

Accommodation - see HERE for more info.
Ultimately, you will end up loving whatever halls you end up in, but I do think the nature of my accommodation really helped my social life/making friends in first year and so I always say to prospective students that it is worth considering the size of your halls. I lived in Quads. It wasn't the cheapest because it was part-catered, en-suite accommodation but it was well worth it for the social side. I shared a kitchen with 10 students, a social space with 20 and a floor with 40 so there was ample opportunity to make friends. However, it really depends on what is important to you - you can see an overview of the options HERE. I wanted to cook for myself mostly, so I didn't opt for fully catered - plus I think I would've got bored of the campus food. However, it was nice to have some Eat & Drink credit for when my work was getting on top of me and this actually rolled over each year so I made it last for my whole degree.

Studies
Modules - For me, Bath has been a great place to study. The Management modules are varied and you get more and more freedom to choose as you move through the years. We studied 10 modules each year (5 per semester).
Teaching - For each module, we had a weekly two hour lecture and sometimes a seminar. Otherwise, it is mostly group meetings and independent study.
Lecturers - There will always be some lecturers you like and some you don't, but for the most part I have found them very helpful (responsive to emails and host 'office hours' each week).
Assessments - Over the years I was assessed by essays, reports, exams and presentations so it is quite varied and practical. On the Business/Management courses group assignments are quite common. This tends to scare people but you get used to it and actually everybody at Bath had to get strong grades to secure a place so you are working with equally conscientious people - I had very few experiences of people not pulling their weight. In first year groups were assigned so it ended up being the perfect chance to meet people on the course.
Placement - One of the best parts about Management at Bath is the placement scheme. We had a lot of support from the placements team e.g. 1:1 help with applications, CV feedback, mock interviews and lots of opportunities to attend company presentations on campus. The Careers Service are also very on it with employment opportunities and skill workshops etc.

I hope this helps - sorry it's so long!

Best of luck with the offer.

Alice,
Final Year Management Student, University of Bath
Last edited by University of Bath; 6 months ago
Student Roost - Bath
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi jadelsadek

I hope you are keeping well.

I am pleased you are thinking of Bath, as it's a great place to study. Bath is a relatively small city compared to the other ones and the night life isn't the best, but there are few good spots out there - various clubs, pubs, many restaurants and a lot more to discover

In regards to accommodation, it is quite easy to find it, but it depends what you're looking for. There are many sites such as Right Move, Unite Students, Hello Student that offer student accommodation in Bath, so you can choose the most suitable.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions please let me know
Klaudia
MarketStreetNewcastle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey,

Hoping we can help out a little – we’re from Market House in Newcastle. Newcastle is known for its nightlife and social atmosphere! You won't be short of things to do. There are plenty of bars, nightclubs and restaurants in the city centre and also along the popular quayside (great for sunny days).

Market House Student Accommodation is in the heart of Newcastle and is a stones throw away from bars, nightlife and things to do. If you would like any further information about what we offer in terms of accommodation, drop us an email at [email protected] o.uk

We hope you can find the perfect place for you,
Shaina @ Market House
student424
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
All great unis. I'd say that Newcastle has so much more to offer in respect of nightlife and things to do. Newcastle is also very well placed for the city - probably more so than the other two. I was caught between deciding between York and Newcastle myself - and the uni experience of Newcastle just tipped it over the edge for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (429)
56.75%
I don't have everything I need (327)
43.25%

Watched Threads