Lozie247
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I’m thinking about taking classics a-level. Can someone. Explain what classics is and if it’s a good subject to take for a level? Do you need knowledge in Latin- because I don’t have any 🤣 my other a-levels are English lit and history! Please help!!
TheHumanCarrot
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
My school didn't offer classics but I knew someone else who did it. Basically, it's all things ancient roman and greek. If you like literature and history, you'll probably enjoy classics since it is in some ways a combination of the two. Also, I'm pretty sure knowledge of Latin is not required so you should be fine.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
For Classical Civ, no knowledge of Latin or Greek required! If you don't even know what it is, might be worth talking to your school department - they often offer taster lessons for subjects that aren't offered at GCSE. You might also want to look at the syllabus and online past papers etc for the board that you'd study.
Nevi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lozie247)
I’m thinking about taking classics a-level. Can someone. Explain what classics is and if it’s a good subject to take for a level? Do you need knowledge in Latin- because I don’t have any 🤣 my other a-levels are English lit and history! Please help!!
Hi

I take Classical Civilisation and am in a state college.

Classics is the best and worst decision of my life. If you love history and mythology it is amazing. Its like a mix between historical events and fiction and philosophy all at once.

The work is VERY VERY intense. Please be warned. But if you love it it’s worthwhile

The modules I take are Imperial Image ( Augustan Rome ), World of the Hero and Love and Relationships in Greece and Rome.

Imperial Image speaks for itself, mostly historical based.

World of the Hero I study Homer’s Odyssey and Virgil’s Aeneid. Everyone studies Aeneid but some people study Homer’s Iliad instead of Odyssey. Homer being Greek and Virgil Roman, both base their epic poems around the mytho-historical events of the Trojan war

Love and Relationships is mainly philosophy. Ancient views on gender and sexuality, and sex. We are studying the poets Ovid and Sappho and philosophers such as Plato and Seneca. Its a huge topic but links nicely to Imperial Image.

OCR makes everyone do World of the Hero so the epic poems are a must if you are thinking of studying classics. Keep in mind that both texts will be no younger than 2000 years old, translations vary, but that works in your favour in exams as you can kinda make up the wording (shhhhh)

Got a cool trip to Rome out of it. Can’t guarantee what other places will do or what modules they will provide but it’s a great subject. Very very intense and lots to learn but fun anyways

(No knowledge of Latin or Ancient Greek required)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (117)
28.33%
No - I have already returned home (55)
13.32%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (81)
19.61%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.69%
No - I live at home during term anyway (120)
29.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed