Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alberto Gilardino)
    You have to bring your own TV. But they give you furniture. I say they give it to you, what actually happens is they go rooting round local skips and just put whatever they find in there in your room.
    :rofl:

I see what you mean about the accomodation though. Sheffield's for example, was in a different league to this - so much nicer. :love: And the annoying thing is, they probably cost about the same. Unis in general though seem to have crappy accomodation which is a disgrace considering how much you pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    Unis in general though seem to have crappy accomodation which is a disgrace considering how much you pay for it.
    They cost always less than privately rented accomodation, which can be way riskier

ReputationRep:
    All the pics I have seen of rooms and common rooms make it look crap.

I'm probably one of these pikey kids that only got in because of them trying to change their rep but still, even my room is way better than the likes seen here.

How do the rich people put up with it if they are used to some massive bedroom, expensive furniture, professionally decorated?

http://www.bris.ac.uk/studenthouses/images/wh3.jpg
    http://www.bris.ac.uk/studenthouses/images/ov3.jpg
    http://www.bris.ac.uk/studenthouses/images/ov4.jpg

It just all looks cheap and crap. If I was some privately educated guy I'd be disgusted.
    Being rich and being from a public school background are not inseparable. And also many people who have money don't have everything professionally decorated (stop being so damned stereotype driven!). (We've just got back from my friend malcombs house; he lives in a house in wales with no mains electricity, water or even a tarmaced road: he went to a public school, cambridge and was a lawyer).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rui)
    Yeah!

Well, er, Bristol accommodation isn't amazing - in fact it's certainly inferior (at least inside) than most other unis I've been to.

As for why the rich kids accept it...God knows. I don't suppose they have much choice, but then they all go catered anyway, and then in other years live in Daddy's flat in Clifton.
    If Daddy can afford a flat in Clifton then their Daddy must have a good £300 000 to spend!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History Lost in Physics)
    If Daddy can afford a flat in Clifton then their Daddy must have a good £300 000 to spend!
    Er....yes. Thanks for that insight, as ever your local knowledge is invaluable. :rolleyes:

It's not rare for parents with a kid at uni to buy a house in the city, have their kid (and friends, paying cheap rent) live there for a couple of years whlist at uni, and then sell the house having made a profit.

But clearly most people haven't got the resources for the £300,000 outlay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rui)
    Er....yes. Thanks for that insight, as ever your local knowledge is invaluable. :rolleyes:

It's not rare for parents with a kid at uni to buy a house in the city, have their kid (and friends, paying cheap rent) live there for a couple of years whlist at uni, and then sell the house having made a profit.

But clearly most people haven't got the resources for the £300,000 outlay.
    I know it isn't - the council tried to ban students from living in certain areas of the city because of them but failed as far as I know. Appologies for making pointless observations I know they upset you.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes, posts that have (as you say) no point are, erm, pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rui)
    Well yes, posts that have (as you say) no point are, erm, pointless.
    For the love of god never study philosophy - you wont enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't make such idiotic generalisations about philosophy; he studies politics, and what would politics be without ethics, or without some of the greatest greek philosophers, or without people like Locke, Rousseau and Hume?

also, the best universities don't have to give a **** about providing luxury accommodation, they don't need you to fall in love with the halls for you to want to apply; notice that most mets have luxury accommodation with en suites and brand new student unions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by organised_chaos)
    Don't make such idiotic generalisations about philosophy; he studies politics, and what would politics be without ethics, or without some of the greatest greek philosophers, or without people like Locke, Rousseau and Hume?

also, the best universities don't have to give a **** about providing luxury accommodation, they don't need you to fall in love with the halls for you to want to apply; notice that most mets have luxury accommodation with en suites and brand new student unions.
    I said nothing about his degree at all. In fact - it was meant as a question going along the lines of "what is the purpose of existence" and was meant in a mildly non-serious manner.

ReputationRep:
    Catered Halls dont tend to have en-suites though.

Would the rich boys be happy with that?

I tell you what pisses me off most though. Those blue plastic chairs.

What the hell are they about? They seem to be everywhere

My cheap arse secondary school had better chairs than that.

Dude seriously you need to check out some boarding schools....

Believe it or not 'Rich kids' are used to ****ty facilities all in the name of a good education....

I'm not a 'rich kid' ....my boyfriend kinda was and went to boarding school for a little while and HATED it...there were bars on the windows!

Even places like Radley aren't plush! Most kids actually live in dorms at most boarding schools...

and besides the point...who said all rich people are snobs? My uncles a millionaire and he walks round in £3 pairs of shorts from lidls! Actually...my aforementioned boyfriend takes the piss out of me for how snobby I am when it comes to hotels and I grew up in very much a lower middle class family...whereas he lived in a huge mansion with staff!

I find people who are insecure about their status in life tend to be snobby...and to value 'posh' things far more than those who are actually wealthy or 'posh'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History Lost in Physics)
    I said nothing about his degree at all. In fact - it was meant as a question going along the lines of "what is the purpose of existence" and was meant in a mildly non-serious manner.
    Purpose of existence? In your case, seemingly to quote everything anyone says and provide some correction based around the fact you live reasonably near Bristol.

(Original post by organised_chaos)
    the best universities don't have to give a **** about providing luxury accommodation, they don't need you to fall in love with the halls for you to want to apply; notice that most mets have luxury accommodation with en suites and brand new student unions.
    Agree 100% with this.

Most of my friends from school went to ex-polys and their rooms were all fifty times nicer than mine...of course, their unis aren't very good and none of them are in a location as nice as Bristol, so I managed to look beyond the plastic chairs and realise that I was actually rather lucky. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Have to agree with Valkyrja about boarding schools.
    I went to one, and the accomadation was terrible. Most of you (I am assuming) have had a room to yourself... but I have shared a room between year 7 and year 12 (ranging from 6 to 2 people per room). You might think that this does not say much about the accomadation itself, but it made the rooms very crowded and snoring/privacy/arguments were big issues.
    * The rooms themselves had heating only during the coldest of the winter months
    * The beds often had stained sheets from the previous occupant (eeew!)
    * Can't bring own sheets as they are not fire ******ent
    * Windows are locked so that you can only open them one inch
    * The rooms are tiny. Seriously, the single rooms were like cupboards
    * Not allowed TVs/playstations etc, or any other large electricals
    * Walls were paper thin - hard to sleep at night if noisy neighbours
    * Really horrible bright yellow or orange walls... and generally cheap/nasty furnature
    * No security! The doors are not locked, people can (and have) steal stuff.

I am just making a point that "rich" kids do not all expect the highest quality rooms. I have been at a boarding school for 7 years, and to be honest I think my future uni room looks awesome! They are SO much bigger and you can use your own duvet covers! Not to mention the rooms are lockable!!!! *drools*
    Plastic chairs do not bother me in slightest, seriously.

ReputationRep:
    They are so crap though. You can some cheap leather one for about 20. If you're going to be living there all year they could do way better

ReputationRep:
    They are so crap though. You can some cheap leather one for about 20. If you're going to be living there all year they could do way better
    The problem is that they need to provide accomadation for thousands of students! Universities prefer to use the funding on more important things, such as improving the departments or building a new union.
    At the end of the day, you are going to be grateful for the wonderful education and entertainment given by the university, not the plush leather seats (well, I will at least!).

I know it sucks... we would all love good accomadation, but its not realistic. Bristol just doesn't have the funding to improve it...

ReputationRep:
    Good Lord, it's a halls of residence, not a hotel, as if they're going to waste money on accomodation for students who probably won't take great care of it, quit your whining!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainygal)
    Good Lord, it's a halls of residence, not a hotel, as if they're going to waste money on accomodation for students who probably won't take great care of it, quit your whining!
    Ditto that. You're only going to be living there a year. Moreover, the great thing about halls managed by the university is that the important things are taken car of (heating, running water, security). I would far rather have thosre things than shiny new furniture.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.