Memory loss and mental health

Watch
Second_Beauty
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
What are you doing to cope with the change in your memory ability ? How are you keeping up with university ?
coffeeneeded27
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've found that with the medication I'm on my memory got worse as the dose got higher and I also found that it now takes me longer to process academic information (e.g. I'll have to read the same paragraph a number of times). To deal with it I've just had to learn to re-structure my timetable and assign more time to complete tasks than I would have done in the past. It sucks, but I'd rather be on the meds, more stable, thinking a bit slower than be off them and just be a total mess.
I've also talked to my uni department and disability services and I get flexibility and extensions with deadlines as it takes me longer to complete work due to my mental illnesses causing the memory issues and other problems
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Like coffeeneeded27, I think medication has made my already terrible memory even worse. But then my psychiatrist is always like "well, we don't know if it's the meds or the underlying condition" so who knows. :dontknow: I guess the way I deal with it is to make really detailed notes. It takes me forever to read a chapter and make notes but I do it in Word so I can search for keywords as I read and have forgotten previous words or when it comes to writing essays I can look over my notes easily.

Like the other guy, I also find it difficult to process information - so in exams I have to read questions many times. Because of this, I get 50% extra time, which is really, really helpful. It means I can really read the question and understand it. I'm currently doing summer classes and doing well in all the online quizzes as I'm not being rushed and am on more equal footing with other students
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads