Abominabl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm an ecology student and long story short, I made the wrong decision joining this course. While I find the subject somewhat interesting, I'm definitely not motivated or interested enough to study it to this level. Unfortunately, I realised this too late (now approaching 3rd year) and with the whole covid situation as well, I have no other option but to stay.

However, I'm struggling with thinking of a dissertation project. I've read lots of advice online saying "start with something that interests you". The problem is because of my general lack of interest, as well as because my university course has been largely uninspiring (lack of funding for course so had to sack staff, shut down modules etc.), I have no idea what interests me. I don't have a niche.

I also need to think practically. I'll probably need to collect data being a science subject, which will be hard because I can't drive, I can't afford to move across the country to different places to get data and I don't like asking for favours (not even from my parents).

Any advice?
Cheers
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
Baring in mind I found these online

Investigating the endangered species and ways that could alter their extinction process
Effects of a red seaweed on a coral building
Discuss the importance of fish and the production of fish in a tropical sea
Evaluate the communication of a host and the symbiont
Impact of increased public transport in contrast to private transport and benefits to the environment
Critically analyze the nitrogen-fixing symbiosis in mosses and bacteria,

I completely understand the lack of interest, I was the same. Is there nothing at all that you have liked? A particular module or something? I'm not quite sure on ecology tbh, hence my looking online. I'm obviously not suggesting you just choose one but maybe it will spark something?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Abominabl)
I'm an ecology student and long story short, I made the wrong decision joining this course. While I find the subject somewhat interesting, I'm definitely not motivated or interested enough to study it to this level. Unfortunately, I realised this too late (now approaching 3rd year) and with the whole covid situation as well, I have no other option but to stay.

However, I'm struggling with thinking of a dissertation project. I've read lots of advice online saying "start with something that interests you". The problem is because of my general lack of interest, as well as because my university course has been largely uninspiring (lack of funding for course so had to sack staff, shut down modules etc.), I have no idea what interests me. I don't have a niche.

I also need to think practically. I'll probably need to collect data being a science subject, which will be hard because I can't drive, I can't afford to move across the country to different places to get data and I don't like asking for favours (not even from my parents).

Any advice?
Cheers
Due to your practical restrictions, it might be easier to identify data sets/repositories that already exist in your field. That may mean that you have to pick a certain area though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (48)
24.62%
Less motivated (147)
75.38%

Watched Threads