Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EducatingBrogan)
    :rofl:
    It's no laughing matter :p:

(Original post by beska)
    Which colleges are known for the lowest rah count?
    I don't think more than one or two colleges have a properly significant rah population. If I had to guess I'd say colleges with lower private school ratios though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Teebs)
    I don't think more than one or two colleges have a properly significant rah population. If I had to guess I'd say colleges with lower private school ratios though.
    Fair enough.

My short list includes:

Lady Margaret Hall
    Magdalen
    New (this one is looking to be the winner tbqh)
    St John's
    The Queen's

How are these colleges known for their rah population?

edit: didn't mean to cause offense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Fair enough.

My short list includes:

Lady Margaret Hall
    Magdalen
    St John's
    The Queen's

How are these colleges known for their rah (synonymous with "jackass") population?
    I only have much experience with Magdalen (mine) New (have a good friend there), but neither seems overwhelmed with them. You'll get some at every college, but I wouldn't say they dominate at either.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Teebs)
    I only have much experience with Magdalen (mine) New (have a good friend there), but neither seems overwhelmed with them. You'll get some at every college, but I wouldn't say they dominate at either.
    Thanks a lot.

I'm not a psychopath and I understand there's gonna be every clique of people everywhere, I just don't want to be the only comprehensive school student bang smack in the middle of all these public school guys. :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Thanks a lot.

I'm not a psychopath and I understand there's gonna be every clique of people everywhere, I just don't want to be the only comprehensive school student bang smack in the middle of all these public school guys. :no:
    That won't happen at any college. The vast majority of private school students don't talk about it, don't play up to it and hang around with anyone. Almost all friendship groups are mixed up and no one cares. I think the main reason rahs are unpopular is because of their cliqueyness about social status.

ReputationRep:
    you do realize us public school people are people too? stop thinking it's a problem where you went to school and it isn't. Nice people are nice, and dicks are dicks wherever they went to school.

ReputationRep:
    ^^^
    Very true.

(Original post by Beska)
    Fair enough.

My short list includes:

Lady Margaret Hall
    Magdalen
    St John's
    The Queen's

How are these colleges known for their rah (synonymous with "jackass") population?
    The only thing worse than stuck-up Oxford rahs.... stuck up state-schooled Oxford applicants (also synonymous with "jackass").

ReputationRep:
    I'm also unsure what to make of the fact that St Hugh's(my soon-to-be college) is composed of 15% overseas students. Does that entail some contingents of foreigners sticking together, or maybe - I'm terribly sorry for this prejudice - large numbers of chinese people who's great work ethic means they aren't as sociable?

I am also starting at St Hugh's in October and I am (sorry :p: ) an international, though from Europe. However, I don't really intend to stick to "my kind", unless all those wonderful stereotypes given above turn out to be true In that case I'll change subjects, become an anthropologist and write a paper on Oxford tribes... So you'll have me to talk to at St Hugh's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abecedarian)
    I'm also unsure what to make of the fact that St Hugh's(my soon-to-be college) is composed of 15% overseas students. Does that entail some contingents of foreigners sticking together, or maybe - I'm terribly sorry for this prejudice - large numbers of chinese people who's great work ethic means they aren't as sociable?

I am also starting at St Hugh's in October and I am (sorry :p: ) an international, though from Europe. However, I don't really intend to stick to "my kind", unless all those wonderful stereotypes given above turn out to be true In that case I'll change subjects, become an anthropologist and write a paper on Oxford tribes... So you'll have me to talk to at St Hugh's
    As 'one' yourself... international students comprise of a huge mix of different people - of course there's a few who don't really mix for x reason, but the majority integrate to a large extent if not completely. In my experience although there might be a degree of sticking together due to common language/culture, especially since its such a mix (American's dont have more in common with Europeans than the British do, for example, so don't stick together as foreigners), it really doesn't make a difference if your an international or not.

ReputationRep:
    Just on the internationals hanging around together subject, you do really want to consider just how much you can miss your home country and can get desperately hungry for your own language/culture/familiarities. I lived in a non-english speaking country when I was younger for a while, and this was with my english speaking family, so I always had people who spoke my language etc to go home to after school, but I can imagine feeling at times very alone if you didn't have that. Despite the fact that internationals whose first language is not english tend to normally be pretty effectively bilingual (which is damn impressive, really, particularly when loads of them have been focussing mainly on sciences/maths at school), it can really be upsetting to not be able to express yourself as well as you might in your own language.

Like anyone else, I feel awkward if people I'm with start talking in a language I don't understand and I don't like the idea of people not bothering with people with a different area of origin than theirs. I don't however come across this much (perhaps I'm lucky - I know other people on tsr have mentioned they've come across much more of it), but I think a certain preferment of the company of people from a culture like yours (and if we're talking asian internationals, then their culture is hugely different to Britain's) is pretty understandable.

Um, apologies for the slightly uncalled-for-in-this-thread rant, it's just a topic that I've seen come up quite a bit, on TSR and in general.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, particularly the essay on Oxonian types.

So my next question is how does St Hugh's fit into this? What types are dominant there? I would also ask how private/state school it was except I read a statistic somewhere saying it was 55% state school - which is the average for Oxford overall.

Out of interest which colleges have the largest private school intake?

(Original post by abecedarian)
    I am also starting at St Hugh's in October and I am (sorry ) an international, though from Europe. However, I don't really intend to stick to "my kind", unless all those wonderful stereotypes given above turn out to be true In that case I'll change subjects, become an anthropologist and write a paper on Oxford tribes... So you'll have me to talk to at St Hugh's
    Excellent! I look forward to meeting you. Where is it you come from and what are you studying? I'm studying Engineering Science.

A note clarifying my comments on internationals: I really don't have a problem with them at all, and actually quite welcome the notion of a diverse culture at Hugh's. I just had reservations about whether they would all stick together and so would result in 15% of my college being people I would never get to know. Obviously this will not be the case.

ReputationRep:
    I think all those producing stats need to be made aware that private school =/= rah. There are many many many many independently educated students who are absolutely no different to the majority of middle class state schoolers. There's a big difference between people whose parents weren't happy with the state schooling in their area, and people who think that this makes them better / like to move in social circles entirely comprised of the well off. Knowing what percentage of studetnts were independently schooled is no use at all if you don't know what kind of schools they went to, and what their financial background is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    I think all those producing stats need to be made aware that private school =/= rah. There are many many many many independently educated students who are absolutely no different to the majority of middle class state schoolers. There's a big difference between people whose parents weren't happy with the state schooling in their area, and people who think that this makes them better / like to move in social circles entirely comprised of the well off. Knowing what percentage of studetnts were independently schooled is no use at all if you don't know what kind of schools they went to, and what their financial background is.
    Fair enough. So, regardless of which type of school they came from what are Hugh's students like in terms of how 'posh' they are? Or more generally, which Oxonian Types are particularly found there, relative to other colleges? Or does Hugh's have just a mediocre mixture of all types?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by j_w)
    The only thing worse than stuck-up Oxford rahs.... stuck up state-schooled Oxford applicants (also synonymous with "jackass").
    I'm not stuck up. It's just I've had experience with those types of people and I don't really like being around them. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Every college has a mix, and Hugh's is one of the ones that has no stereotype associated it with it - so you can assume it's just fairly ... normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Yup. I mean, there are 7 Etonians in my year (rumour has it 8, but it's 7) and whilst I'm sure people on here would be tempted to dismiss them all as horrible rahs straight away, they'd actually be making a huge mistake. Equally, people have gone off on rants about the huge numbers of private school pupils, naming certain students as class examples of their horrible stereotypical behaviour, only to find said students went to state schools. Frankly, it's embarrassing and kind of awkward when that happens.

Generally at Oxford, you give back what you give out. So long as you don't start mouthing off about where people went to school (and I really don't see why you would, but it happens), people won't start back at you. If some people in your year are being obnoxious about schooling/background, ignore them. If they aren't, don't suppose they are going to start just because they went to a selective Swiss finishing school run by hand-selected nuns or whatever, they probably care far less about it than you do.

ReputationRep:
    Yup - I remember sitting with a bunch of lads in the JCR in our first term, maybe our second, while they discussed who was public/state school (probably worth me saying this is the only time I've ever had such a conversation while at uni). And Stevo said "Oh Boo's blatantly public school - for definite." Yeah I went to the comp half a mile across the common from my house. I just happen to have an RP accent because I couldn't talk as a kid so had to have speech therapy - and I'm from the home counties anyway. And people assume that I wear tom-boyish clothes because I'm so sure of myself that I don't need to fit the trends or something. I actually just have no clue about clothes. But seriously it just goes to show that half the time nobody's got a clue!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JPole)
    Thanks for the replies, particularly the essay on Oxonian types.

So my next question is how does St Hugh's fit into this? What types are dominant there? I would also ask how private/state school it was except I read a statistic somewhere saying it was 55% state school - which is the average for Oxford overall.

Out of interest which colleges have the largest private school intake?

Excellent! I look forward to meeting you. Where is it you come from and what are you studying? I'm studying Engineering Science.

A note clarifying my comments on internationals: I really don't have a problem with them at all, and actually quite welcome the notion of a diverse culture at Hugh's. I just had reservations about whether they would all stick together and so would result in 15% of my college being people I would never get to know. Obviously this will not be the case.
    Worcester apparently has one of the largest private school intakes and there are definitely quite a few rahs, but they're perfectly harmless and the majority of them are very friendly. As has been said earlier, you can't really tell where people have been to school
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Beska)
    Thanks a lot.

I get why you're concerned (I had the same worries when I was applying/first came here), but even if you do end up being the only comprehensive school student (highly unlikely), that doesn't mean that you'll be shunned or anything. The majority of students are incredibly friendly and don't care where you've been to school. Anyway, horrible comments you may encounter about the education you've have if you get here will usually be out of ignorance rather than actual prejudice, or at least that's what I've found.

So don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I'm not stuck up. It's just I've had experience with those types of people and I don't really like being around them. Sorry.
    Ok, so I hung around with a group of black kids I didn't like, so I should avoid colleges with black people in them? I had some bad times with people off council estates when I was at a state primary school, so I should go for the high private school intake colleges?

For the love of God, if I started saying I don't want to hang around with the scummy state-school kids I'd be mobbed with cries of elitism, but you can use the exact logic reversed? It's pathetic reversed-snobbery with about as much logical backing as racism.

Almost all of the Oxbridge candidates in my year are normal, down to earth middle-class kids. Over half of us are on scholarships and could not afford the fees otherwise, and are working are butts off just as much as everyone else in the country. The couple who are stuck-up little *bleeps* would be stuck-up little *bleeps* if they'd grown up at the bottom of a well with a family of large spiders.

You've had some bad experiences with public school boys, but I bet you've also had some bad experiences with some state-school kids as well, so get over your stupid elitism and maybe you can stop looking like an idiot.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.