Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMo1)
    You've had some bad experiences with public school boys.
    Did they involve alan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Did they involve alan?
    most experiences with public school boys do involve a bit of alan, or them dressing up as girls, or both.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by JoMo1)
    Ok, so I hung around with a group of black kids I didn't like, so I should avoid colleges with black people in them? I had some bad times with people off council estates when I was at a state primary school, so I should go for the high private school intake colleges?

For the love of God, if I started saying I don't want to hang around with the scummy state-school kids I'd be mobbed with cries of elitism, but you can use the exact logic reversed? It's pathetic reversed-snobbery with about as much logical backing as racism.

Almost all of the Oxbridge candidates in my year are normal, down to earth middle-class kids. Over half of us are on scholarships and could not afford the fees otherwise, and are working are butts off just as much as everyone else in the country. The couple who are stuck-up little *bleeps* would be stuck-up little *bleeps* if they'd grown up at the bottom of a well with a family of large spiders.

You've had some bad experiences with public school boys, but I bet you've also had some bad experiences with some state-school kids as well, so get over your stupid elitism and maybe you can stop looking like an idiot.
    Hey, hey there's no need to be so aggressive. I get I was slightly hypocritical and I apologise. You must understand where I'm coming from though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This is obviously a touchy topic and I didn't mean to cause anybody offense or cause myself to seem hypocritical. It's just a real concern I've had and perhaps didn't explain it as well as I could, but it didn't mean to sound anywhere near as bad as it seemed to have. The stereotype I've met obviously is not a very good generalisation and my concerns are not well founded. Thanks for clearing that up.

I didn't mean to cause any vicious offense as it seems I have. :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMo1)
    most experiences with public school boys do involve a bit of alan, or them dressing up as girls, or both.
    I went to a private school and avoided both. Maybe I'm just ugly :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    I went to a private school and avoided both. Maybe I'm just ugly :confused:
    was it a rugby boarding school? If it was and these activities were avoided, bravo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMo1)
    was it a rugby boarding school? If it was and these activities were avoided, bravo!
    No it was a standard provincial day school. I did get asked if I was there on a sports scholarship by someone I was working with once, I've also been asked if I got into Oxford on a sports scholarship. Obviously I look dumb.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JoMo1)
    Ok, so I hung around with a group of black kids I didn't like, so I should avoid colleges with black people in them? I had some bad times with people off council estates when I was at a state primary school, so I should go for the high private school intake colleges?

For the love of God, if I started saying I don't want to hang around with the scummy state-school kids I'd be mobbed with cries of elitism, but you can use the exact logic reversed? It's pathetic reversed-snobbery with about as much logical backing as racism.

Almost all of the Oxbridge candidates in my year are normal, down to earth middle-class kids. Over half of us are on scholarships and could not afford the fees otherwise, and are working are butts off just as much as everyone else in the country. The couple who are stuck-up little *bleeps* would be stuck-up little *bleeps* if they'd grown up at the bottom of a well with a family of large spiders.

You've had some bad experiences with public school boys, but I bet you've also had some bad experiences with some state-school kids as well, so get over your stupid elitism and maybe you can stop looking like an idiot.
    I seriously think you've misinterepreted poor Beska! To me at least, his/her post was about fear of elitism/snobbery. You can't really blame people: with all the negative comments/press that Oxford gets about being too private school and upper class, yada yada, how are they supposed to know any different unless they ask? Loads of state school applicants get told they'll be looked down upon by the private school kids if they get in and that they shouldn't consider applying. Of course it's complete bull, but if they don't know any Oxford students themselves or have never visited the place, they'll just believe it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I seriously think you've misinterepreted poor Beska! To me at least, his/her post was about fear of elitism/snobbery. You can't really blame people: with all the negative comments/press that Oxford gets about being too private school and upper class, yada yada, how are they supposed to know any different unless they ask? Loads of state school applicants get told they'll be looked down upon by the private school kids if they get in and that they shouldn't consider applying. Of course it's complete bull, but if they don't know any Oxford students themselves or have never visited the place, they'll just believe it.

However, I also get told that my places at Uni are going to be stolen by state school pupils due to government targets, that homosexuals are all evil, Muslims are all terrorists, and God is the almighty creator of the world. I am bombarded with this daily and yet I still have the presence of mind to tell them they're wrong. My problem isn't really with Beska, it is an entire culture of acceptable reversed-elitism. it seems perfectly acceptable for people to look down on me for working hard or doing well in exams, but for me to look down on them for being stupid, not working and getting Us in everything is completely unacceptable. Replace the phrase "Rahs" with "*******" and see if you're attitude remains the same. Both things are equally as ridiculous and unfounded, why is one more acceptable than the other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    This is obviously a touchy topic and I didn't mean to cause anybody offense or cause myself to seem hypocritical. It's just a real concern I've had and perhaps didn't explain it as well as I could, but it didn't mean to sound anywhere near as bad as it seemed to have. The stereotype I've met obviously is not a very good generalisation and my concerns are not well founded. Thanks for clearing that up.

I didn't mean to cause any vicious offense as it seems I have. :getmecoat:
    Here's a tip: it doesn't matter if you're doing it because you're scared, or because your misguided, or because you really truly believe their jackasses. Remember when you were in primary school and people said that's (any of the above) why kids were bullies? Just because you're scared, ignorant or have a messed up world view provided by a few people does not make it ok to just start insulting a whole group of people. It's not a touchy subject in so far as I don't think any of us on the board could be described as rahs, but we've mostly been at the university long enough to realise that snobbery, inverse or otherwise, is a load of *******s - and people who haven't even matriculated yet should probably be made aware of this before they embarass themselves trying to take the piss out of people and end up with no friends. :yep:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Here's a tip: it doesn't matter if you're doing it because you're scared, or because your misguided, or because you really truly believe their jackasses. Remember when you were in primary school and people said that's (any of the above) why kids were bullies? Just because you're scared, ignorant or have a messed up world view provided by a few people does not make it ok to just start insulting a whole group of people. It's not a touchy subject in so far as I don't think any of us on the board could be described as rahs, but we've mostly been at the university long enough to realise that snobbery, inverse or otherwise, is a load of *******s - and people who haven't even matriculated yet should probably be made aware of this before they embarass themselves trying to take the piss out of people and end up with no friends. :yep:
    Thanks. Yes, I well and truly embarrassed myself that's for a sure. My comment was more tongue-in-cheek than anything and I really didn't mean it as bad as it sounded.

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Loads of state school applicants get told they'll be looked down upon by the private school kids if they get in and that they shouldn't consider applying.
    This is exactly what I've been told, so I didn't know any better. Thanks for being understanding.

(Original post by JoMo1)
    However, I also get told that my places at Uni are going to be stolen by state school pupils due to government targets, that homosexuals are all evil, Muslims are all terrorists, and God is the almighty creator of the world. I am bombarded with this daily and yet I still have the presence of mind to tell them they're wrong. My problem isn't really with Beska, it is an entire culture of acceptable reversed-elitism. it seems perfectly acceptable for people to look down on me for working hard or doing well in exams, but for me to look down on them for being stupid, not working and getting Us in everything is completely unacceptable. Replace the phrase "Rahs" with "*******" and see if you're attitude remains the same. Both things are equally as ridiculous and unfounded, why is one more acceptable than the other?
    I'm really not under this bracket of 'reverse snobbery'. I know it's really hard to actually prove myself now, but I assure you I'm not. I'm completely open to everybody I meet and as I've said before, I was scared that I'd just be a kid with no friends while other people cliqued - this is exactly how it's been described to me in the past although it's obviously a non-issue as has been pointed out.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JoMo1)
    I'm not saying either one is acceptable. Both are unacceptable. My point is that any kind of snobbery is based on ignorance and that some people can't help being ignorant. In any case, I really think you're confusing militant state school students ("OMG, private school students are sooo rich, they didn't have to work hard for anything, they got given everything on a plate, lucky they had Mummy and Daddy to pay for everything") who are guilty of reverse snobbery with people like Beska that don't really have anything against private school students themselves but are simply scared of being seen as different/inferior by them ("OMG, they speak so well/dress so nice/have had such a good education, they must think I'm really thick").

So my point was that if Beska is the latter (I saw no indication of the former), a simple "private school people are nice too!"/"only a few private school people give a damn about your education and they're idiots anyway" would have sufficed

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying either one is acceptable. Both are unacceptable. My point is that any kind of snobbery is based on ignorance and that some people can't help being ignorant. In any case, I really think you're confusing militant state school students ("OMG, private school students are sooo rich, they didn't have to work hard for anything, they got given everything on a plate, lucky they had Mummy and Daddy to pay for everything") who are guilty of reverse snobbery with people like Beska that don't really have anything against private school students themselves but are simply scared of being seen as different/inferior by them ("OMG, they speak so well/dress so nice/have had such a good education, they must think I'm really thick").

So my point was that if Beska is the latter (I saw no indication of the former), a simple "private school people are nice too!"/"only a few private school people give a damn about your education and they're idiots anyway" would have sufficed
    Everyone's made some good and bad points, I still hold however, that the presumption that public school kids will be cliquey, horrible, etc. because they've gone to a public school, rather rank. It may be born of fear but that doesn't make it any less wrong. However, me and Beska have had a quiet chat about it and calmed down a little. All is well.

Let's all take away form this - All people are people, and all people at Oxford are smart people, nothing else and nothing more.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JoMo1)
    Everyone's made some good and bad points, I still hold however, that the presumption that public school kids will be cliquey, horrible, etc. because they've gone to a public school, rather rank. It may be born of fear but that doesn't make it any less wrong. However, me and Beska have had a quiet chat about it and calmed down a little. All is well.

Let's all take away form this - All people are people, and all people at Oxford are smart people, nothing else and nothing more.
    It is pretty rank, but unfortunately that's what some people end up thinking. If you end up getting here and meet anyone who thinks like that, you just have to calmly explain to them why they're wrong. When I first went, I was a militant state school student but by the end of Freshers Week, I'd snapped out of it, because I realised how wrong I was. Equally, I had one private school student saying horrible things about my schooling, not because he was mean, but just because he was ignorant. So I told him about how comp education works and he snapped out of it. So everyone was informed and happy.

Yay that all is well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMo1)

Erm... no. There are a few people who prove that there is some degree of fallibility in the admissions system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpchem)
    Erm... no. There are a few people who prove that there is some degree of fallibility in the admissions system.
    This sounds quite intruiging actually.. how stupid are we talking here? and *how* did they get in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by godot21)
    This sounds quite intruiging actually.. how stupid are we talking here? and *how* did they get in?
    I'll ask the tutors when I get there, I don't even know myself. I'll be kicked out by Christmas though, you can guarantee it.

I'm probably the first person to get into Oxford after talking about incestuous morriss dancers at interview...

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking less about what might be called 'academic stupidity', and more about 'how do you find your way out of bed in the morning' stupidity - i.e. absolutely no common sense, zero observational skills, a complete inability to engage brain prior to opening mouth etc.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by cpchem)
    I'm talking less about what might be called 'academic stupidity', and more about 'how do you find your way out of bed in the morning' stupidity - i.e. absolutely no common sense, zero observational skills, a complete inability to engage brain prior to opening mouth etc.
    :yep: Yep, there's quite a few of them. Me included (or at least I match the bits in bold!)!!! :eek: :hello:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.