MSc Computer Science - Russell Group vs Others

Watch
TechFitNerd
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Looking at starting a MSc this upcoming fall in a computer science conversion course. I'm an international student who plans to work in the UK after graduating. Do university rankings really matter for employability? I've noticed a lot of high ranked UK universities are actually low ranked globally... Ie. St Andrews. Which would you recommend for someone interested in programming and a more practical learning experience? I'm from a big city in the US, so I'd prefer a place with lots to do outside of university. I'm big into weightlifting as well.

How would you rank the listed Unis? I've only listed the ones I've been accepted to, but I'm still waiting to hear from Bristol, Birmingham, Newcastle, etc.

ACCEPTED TO:
U of Glasgow
Cardiff U
Swansea U
U of Kent
Loughborough
Nottingham Trent
Oxford Brookes
Sheffield Hallam
* plus a few other low ranked unis

Any recommendations highly appreciated. Haven't visited any of the campuses due to Covid 😑.
megascream
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Rankings themselves don't matter, but the reputation of unis do. Employers are more likely to recruit from good unis based on general beliefs, not league table from a certain year.

It overall depends on where you want to live and work, but the unis you choose are quite different in terms of general reputation.

I would say Glasgow has a very good reputation in Scotland. It's the first tier and roughly equal to St Andrews and Edinburgh. Cardiff, Loughborough and Kent are decent though I can't say they are as prestigious as Glasgow. I heard Swansea also has a reputation in Wales but I feel not so much in other parts of the country. Never mind the others. They are not worth it to study abroad. I even need to check if Sheffield Hallam is Sheffield University.

My bachelor and master's in London and doctorate will be in Durham so I'm sure I'm not biased.
TechFitNerd
Rep:
?
(Original post by megascream)
Rankings themselves don't matter, but the reputation of unis do. Employers are more likely to recruit from good unis based on general beliefs, not league table from a certain year.

It overall depends on where you want to live and work, but the unis you choose are quite different in terms of general reputation.

I would say Glasgow has a very good reputation in Scotland. It's the first tier and roughly equal to St Andrews and Edinburgh. Cardiff, Loughborough and Kent are decent though I can't say they are as prestigious as Glasgow. I heard Swansea also has a reputation in Wales but I feel not so much in other parts of the country. Never mind the others. They are not worth it to study abroad. I even need to check if Sheffield Hallam is Sheffield University.

My bachelor and master's in London and doctorate will be in Durham so I'm sure I'm not biased.
Thank you very much for that explanation. That's helpful. Looking at the rankings was really confusing me. I'd prefer to study in England over Scotland, but Glasgow seems to be the best university I've been accepted to so far.

I've tried to find information on Computer Science specifically, but again it's hard to find reliable information. Do you have any suggestions on further research I can do on finding out about the reputation of the universities when it comes to employability in the UK? Or even which rankings are the most accurate? Nottingham Trent was ranked 12th according to Guardian, but it seems that's not very reliable.
Last edited by TechFitNerd; 1 week ago
megascream
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TechFitNerd)
Thank you very much for that explanation. That's helpful. Looking at the rankings was really confusing me. I'd prefer to study in England over Scotland, but Glasgow seems to be the best university I've been accepted to so far.

I've tried to find information on Computer Science specifically, but again it's hard to find reliable information. Do you have any suggestions on further research I can do on finding out about the reputation of the universities when it comes to employability in the UK? Or even which rankings are the most accurate? Nottingham Trent was ranked 12th according to Guardian, but it seems that's not very reliable.
My personal feeling is CUG is the best to reflect national reputation and teaching ability, while THE is the best for international reputation and research output. Guardian is famous for overly focusing on student experience. It is useful if you wish to consider university's environment and student service.

Since you said your degree is MSc, I assume you are doing a pg taught course, so unless you intend to engage in research in future, I might prefer to use CUG to check their facilities and teaching abilities. But you should know American employers will consider more on world rankings like THE. They need a balance. Its also important to check module structure and locations, especially if you are accepted by Bristol. Bristol and Glasgow have similar name, but uni structure, city and weather are vastly different.

Overall, congratulations and good luck.
jackien1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I even need to check if Sheffield Hallam is Sheffield University.
Sacrilege.
jackien1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Also, generally if there's a city and the university you're applying to isn't the university of [city name] but some other uni that happens to be in the city, it's not a uni to be applying to.

From those you've listed, oxford brookes vs oxford, nottingham trent vs UoN, hallam (jokes) vs Sheffield.

but maybe I'm just an elitist.
TechFitNerd
Rep:
?
My personal feeling is CUG is the best to reflect national reputation and teaching ability, while THE is the best for international reputation and research output. Guardian is famous for overly focusing on student experience. It is useful if you wish to consider university's environment and student service.

Since you said your degree is MSc, I assume you are doing a pg taught course, so unless you intend to engage in research in future, I might prefer to use CUG to check their facilities and teaching abilities. But you should know American employers will consider more on world rankings like THE. They need a balance. Its also important to check module structure and locations, especially if you are accepted by Bristol. Bristol and Glasgow have similar name, but uni structure, city and weather are vastly different.

Overall, congratulations and good luck.
Thank you. Again very helpful. Yes it's for a taught masters. I'll take a look at those two rankings a little more. Bristol is pretty much my first choice IF I can get in. Glasgow was my next choice based on the program being heavy in software development. Thanks again for your response.
TechFitNerd
Rep:
?
(Original post by jackien1)
Also, generally if there's a city and the university you're applying to isn't the university of [city name] but some other uni that happens to be in the city, it's not a uni to be applying to.

From those you've listed, oxford brookes vs oxford, nottingham trent vs UoN, hallam (jokes) vs Sheffield.

but maybe I'm just an elitist.
Thank you for your response. It's a little different here in the states, but I guess that makes sense. I initially only applied to universities that I could easily afford. However, I'd rather pay more for a more reputable university.

Any opinion on how you'd rate any of the ones I've been accepted to? I pretty much put them in order of current preference.
jackien1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you for your response. It's a little different here in the states, but I guess that makes sense. I initially only applied to universities that I could easily afford. However, I'd rather pay more for a more reputable university.

Any opinion on how you'd rate any of the ones I've been accepted to? I pretty much put them in order of current preference.
If you look at Msc data analytics at hallam vs sheffield, there's a £10k difference in tuition fees. There's probably a good reason for that.... (Although yes I will admit some of that is just for the prestige of the name of the uni and the fact that Sheffield is a RG uni)

I won't really speak to the ones outside England as I don't know enough, really, but Glasgow is pretty respected across the board. I'd say the best of the unis you applied to are [Bristol, Newcastle and Birmingham], then [Loughborough and Kent], then the rest. I've grouped them according to how I personally view them in [tiers] of sorts, but keep in mind this is my personal opinion.
TechFitNerd
Rep:
?
If you look at Msc data analytics at hallam vs sheffield, there's a £10k difference in tuition fees. There's probably a good reason for that.... (Although yes I will admit some of that is just for the prestige of the name of the uni and the fact that Sheffield is a RG uni)

I won't really speak to the ones outside England as I don't know enough, really, but Glasgow is pretty respected across the board. I'd say the best of the unis you applied to are [Bristol, Newcastle and Birmingham], then [Loughborough and Kent], then the rest. I've grouped them according to how I personally view them in [tiers] of sorts, but keep in mind this is my personal opinion.
Thank you for your opinion. Bristol is my top choice so I'll wait to see how that pans out. I also agree with your "value" statement. I've decided I'd rather invest more money into a quality university instead of saving at a low ranked uni. I appreciate your response.
Last edited by TechFitNerd; 1 week ago
bifurcation00
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Looking at starting a MSc this upcoming fall in a computer science conversion course. I'm an international student who plans to work in the UK after graduating. Do university rankings really matter for employability? I've noticed a lot of high ranked UK universities are actually low ranked globally... Ie. St Andrews. Which would you recommend for someone interested in programming and a more practical learning experience? I'm from a big city in the US, so I'd prefer a place with lots to do outside of university. I'm big into weightlifting as well.

How would you rank the listed Unis? I've only listed the ones I've been accepted to, but I'm still waiting to hear from Bristol, Birmingham, Newcastle, etc.

ACCEPTED TO:
U of Glasgow
Cardiff U
Swansea U
U of Kent
Loughborough
Nottingham Trent
Oxford Brookes
Sheffield Hallam
* plus a few other low ranked unis

Any recommendations highly appreciated. Haven't visited any of the campuses due to Covid 😑.
Loughboough is TOP from the list you said. Very high ranked uni and high rep - amazing for comp sci (I have a friend who does comp sci there)
I personally wouldnt pick any of the others (esp Sheff hallam, oxford brooks, kent) because they have much lower entry requirements etc)
TechFitNerd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by bifurcation00)
Loughboough is TOP from the list you said. Very high ranked uni and high rep - amazing for comp sci (I have a friend who does comp sci there)
I personally wouldnt pick any of the others (esp Sheff hallam, oxford brooks, kent) because they have much lower entry requirements etc)
Thank you for your opinion. I would agree except for Kent. It seems to rank high on many of the rankings. Especially for computer science. Glasgow seems to rank very high in the UK and top 100 globally. You wouldn't recommend Cardiff either? It also has high rankings and is a RG.
Diplomatic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You'll be fine at any of the Russell Group unis. Bristol probably has the best rep, but the others are good too.

Loughborough and Kent are fine, but Loughborough in particular is very inflated in domestic rankings. They do not reflect its relatively lower prestige.

I wouldn't bother with the others from a reputation perspective.
Last edited by Diplomatic; 5 days ago
TechFitNerd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Diplomatic)
You'll be fine at any of the Russell Group unis. Bristol probably has the best rep, but the others are good too.

Loughborough and Kent are fine, but Loughborough in particular is very inflated in domestic rankings. They do not reflect its relatively lower prestige.

I wouldn't bother with the others from a reputation perspective.
Thank you for your response. Bristol denied me for lack of math courses. I was leaning towards Cardiff or Kent because they both offer a year in industry and a language learning program. I would be able to continue learning German in structured classes on side of my degree. Glasgow is RG and ranked high globally but doesn't offer a year in industry or language learning for post grads. It seems to be colder and rain the most. I'm used to sunshine nearly everyday and average temps of 70+ Fahrenheit lol. Although it seems it rains a lot everywhere in the UK.
Diplomatic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thank you for your response. Bristol denied me for lack of math courses. I was leaning towards Cardiff or Kent because they both offer a year in industry and a language learning program. I would be able to continue learning German in structured classes on side of my degree. Glasgow is RG and ranked high globally but doesn't offer a year in industry or language learning for post grads. It seems to be colder and rain the most. I'm used to sunshine nearly everyday and average temps of 70+ Fahrenheit lol. Although it seems it rains a lot everywhere in the UK.
The language learning sounds good, but be aware that a year in industry for an MSc student isn't really that valuable (in my opinion). You'll be starting a placement after year 1, which pays less, when you could be starting a graduate job, which starts your career and earns you a higher salary.
jackien1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
How about applying to more unis? Some unis have probably closed their international applications but there are probably still some out there?
bifurcation00
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thank you for your opinion. I would agree except for Kent. It seems to rank high on many of the rankings. Especially for computer science. Glasgow seems to rank very high in the UK and top 100 globally. You wouldn't recommend Cardiff either? It also has high rankings and is a RG.
I would stick to only Russel group universities since you've been accepted into them, so you're clearly smart (exception is Loughborough, even though its not RG its still has a very good rep)

Everyone has their personal preference on the university, and each uni is different and its hard to decide since you're international and cant visit directly. But places like Loughborough, the city is very quiet and there isn't much to do there, I can't speak for the rest of your choices since I haven't had any experiences with them - but I assume they will be much more lively cities.
Last edited by bifurcation00; 4 days ago
TechFitNerd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by Diplomatic)
The language learning sounds good, but be aware that a year in industry for an MSc student isn't really that valuable (in my opinion). You'll be starting a placement after year 1, which pays less, when you could be starting a graduate job, which starts your career and earns you a higher salary.
Thank you for responding. That is one way to look at it. The reason I believe a placement year is beneficial is the fact that I'm doing a conversion course. A year is not a very long time. I believe the second year in industry with give me more practical experience, and afford me a better salary after completing it. I could be wrong, but I'd feel a lot more confident after using a year of actually applying my knowledge.
TechFitNerd
Rep:
?
How about applying to more unis? Some unis have probably closed their international applications but there are probably still some out there?
Thanks for your response. I did apply to pretty much every conversion course I could find. I actually was accepted to 16 programs... However, after further research many were ranked low.

The offers seem to be U of Glasgow, U of Kent, Newcastle, Cardiff, Loughborough, Queen Mary University of London, Swansea and U of Bath.
TechFitNerd
Rep:
?
(Original post by bifurcation00)
I would stick to only Russel group universities since you've been accepted into them, so you're clearly smart (exception is Loughborough, even though its not RG its still has a very good rep)

Everyone has their personal preference on the university, and each uni is different and its hard to decide since you're international and cant visit directly. But places like Loughborough, the city is very quiet and there isn't much to do there, I can't speak for the rest of your choices since I haven't had any experiences with them - but I assume they will be much more lively cities.
Thank you for responding. The city aspect doesn't bother me so much. It's only a year or two. As long as there is decent food, nice places to visit outdoors, a gym with good equipment and a little bit of diversity I'll be fine. I'm more concerned about the university and how valuable the program is. I think I'm leaning towards Kent, Cardiff or Glasgow still. Glasgow doesn't offer the year in industry. Kent isn't a RG. So would you think Cardiff is the best choice?

The top universities (I think anyway) from what I've been accepted to are U of Glasgow, U of Kent, Newcastle, Cardiff, Loughborough, Queen Mary University of London, Swansea and U of Bath.
Last edited by TechFitNerd; 1 day ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (46)
20.72%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (50)
22.52%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (41)
18.47%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (45)
20.27%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (22)
9.91%
I haven't started researching yet (18)
8.11%

Watched Threads