living with pyrophobia (fear of fire)

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
From a young age i have been petrified of anything with flames. Like I cant stand near a bon fire, hate candles, even don't like cigarettes. Its got so bad that im constantly thinking about it and checking anything electrical incase its hot. I also have generalised anxiety so the two together is getting to me. Any advice on switching off/ not stressing over it all the time? Thanks
SAARH.A5
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Speak to your doctor or a mental health professional/therapist.

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
You’ll discuss your fears and feelings with your therapist, who will work closely with you to help you understand how these thought patterns contribute to your anxiety symptoms.
Then, you and your therapist will work together to change these thought patterns in order to diminish or eliminate your symptoms. Throughout treatment, your therapist will reinforce the idea that the object of your fear poses little to no danger to you.
You may also learn strategies to stay calm when faced with fire. Examples include relaxation techniques and breathing control.

Exposure therapy aids people in confronting their fears. It uses gradual, repetitive exposure to the thing you fear to help you learn to manage your feelings, anxiety, or panic.
If you have pyrophobia, the progression of exposure therapy may go something like this:
1. Thinking or talking about fire
2. Viewing pictures or videos of fire
3. Being around a fire at a distance
4. Getting closer to or standing next to a fire
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Maybe try to think about what caused the fear -> did you have a bad experience with fire as a child?

In those moments of fear/anxiety, you could try and find something to distract yourself with, or use a breathing technique (like breathe in for 4 counts, hold for 4, then exhale for 4 - and repeat until you feel calmer)

You could try to introduce yourself to fire in very small ways, e.g a tea light?

But if possible, I would advise you to speak to a mental health professional
Anonymous #1
(Original post by SAARAH.A5)
Speak to your doctor or a mental health professional/therapist.

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
You’ll discuss your fears and feelings with your therapist, who will work closely with you to help you understand how these thought patterns contribute to your anxiety symptoms.
Then, you and your therapist will work together to change these thought patterns in order to diminish or eliminate your symptoms. Throughout treatment, your therapist will reinforce the idea that the object of your fear poses little to no danger to you.
You may also learn strategies to stay calm when faced with fire. Examples include relaxation techniques and breathing control.

Exposure therapy aids people in confronting their fears. It uses gradual, repetitive exposure to the thing you fear to help you learn to manage your feelings, anxiety, or panic.
If you have pyrophobia, the progression of exposure therapy may go something like this:
1. Thinking or talking about fire
2. Viewing pictures or videos of fire
3. Being around a fire at a distance
4. Getting closer to or standing next to a fire
Thank you.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Therapy would probably help this. In the interim though, looking after yourself (sleeping enough, drinking enough water, eating enough, etc.) and having outlets should help with the anxiety/stress associated with it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by laurawatt)
Maybe try to think about what caused the fear -> did you have a bad experience with fire as a child?

In those moments of fear/anxiety, you could try and find something to distract yourself with, or use a breathing technique (like breathe in for 4 counts, hold for 4, then exhale for 4 - and repeat until you feel calmer)

You could try to introduce yourself to fire in very small ways, e.g a tea light?

But if possible, I would advise you to speak to a mental health professional
Hi, thanks for your reply. I can't think of anything as a child that would have caused it as I had this fear before something happened so maybe that has just made it worse. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (56)
9.03%
Confident (81)
13.06%
Indifferent (89)
14.35%
Unsure (159)
25.65%
Worried (235)
37.9%

Watched Threads