max.leni
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I really want to go to my current school’s sixth form and I was planning on taking History, Sociology and Politics. However, at the last minute during my interview they said that they are no longer teaching politics, so that was one option gone. Another problem is that Socio and History are in the same block therefore they clash and I can only pick one of them. Now I’m stuck on what subjects I should pick. I came up with 3 options.

Option 1:
BTEC Business - History - Psychology

Option 2:
Philosophy - History - Psychology

Option 3:
Philosophy - Sociology - Psychology

Cons with option 1: I’m not too keen on BTEC Business. I done it for GCSE and struggled with the maths side of it.

Cons with option 2: Philosophy and History together seem like a lot of hard work and writing.

Cons with option 3: Sociology is quite similar to Psychology and the subjects aren’t really “strong and useful”

As for future career I want to do something in Politics or Law.

Which option do you think I should pick?
Last edited by max.leni; 1 year ago
Wertgyhuj
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think 2
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It doesn't matter whatsoever what you pick. You should just pick the ones that you'll enjoy the most and get the best grades on. That's all that matters.
max.leni
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wertgyhuj)
I think 2
Hi,

Why do you think Option 2 is the better one?
unsociablecat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by max.leni)
So I really want to go to my current school’s sixth form and I was planning on taking History, Sociology and Politics. However, at the last minute during my interview they said that they are no longer teaching politics, so that was one option gone. Another problem is that Socio and History are in the same block therefore they clash and I can only pick one of them. Now I’m stuck on what subjects I should pick. I came up with 3 options.

Option 1:
BTEC Business - History - Psychology

Option 2:
Philosophy - History - Psychology

Option 3:
Philosophy - Sociology - Psychology

Cons with option 1: I’m not too keen on BTEC Business. I done it for GCSE and struggled with the maths side of it.

Cons with option 2: Philosophy and History together seem like a lot of hard work and writing.

Cons with option 3: Sociology is quite similar to Psychology and the subjects aren’t really “strong and useful”

As for future career I want to do something in Politics or Law.

Which option do you think I should pick?
I think option 3 sounds most interesting but I think maybe option 2 might be good because universities would prefer History since it's seen as more academic and there's also a lot of overlap with Politics. Would you ever consider English Lit as an option instead of Psychology? Psychology is still a good subject and it provides a bit more variety but English is considered very useful for Politics and Law.
max.leni
Rep:
?
(Original post by ryanfeltham)
I think option 3 sounds most interesting but I think maybe option 2 might be good because universities would prefer History since it's seen as more academic and there's also a lot of overlap with Politics. Would you ever consider English Lit as an option instead of Psychology? Psychology is still a good subject and it provides a bit more variety but English is considered very useful for Politics and Law.
Honestly I’m terrible at English Lit and I think I will go ahead with Option 2 if I receive the 8 GCSE’s needed to do so. I’m just a bit nervous on the amount of work that I’ll need to do since I’ll have to do both Philosophy and History. I’m just not adamant on philosophy but it’s either that or BTEC Business which is the one I would I like to pick the least.
Last edited by max.leni; 1 year ago
unsociablecat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by max.leni)
Honestly I’m terrible at English Lit and I think I will go ahead with Option 2 if I receive the 8 GCSE’s needed to do so. I’m just a bit nervous on the amount of work that I’ll need to do since I’ll have to do both Philosophy and History. I’m just not adamant on philosophy but it’s either that or BTEC Business which is the one I would I like to pick the least.
Fair enough. Option 3 is still perfectly fine for perfectly fine for Politics/Law but just make sure you're choosing ones you enjoy. Essay subjects are a lot of work but they're perfectly doable if you like the content and you put in the time. Learning Philosophy will provide you with some very useful debate skills and reasoning skills that will no doubt come in very handy for Politics/Law etc. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.66%
No I am happy with my choice (71)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.09%

Watched Threads