Comparing myself to others?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I do this all the time and it gets me down, especially as I don’t make as much money as my friends right now and the have more than me 🙃
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's simple - don't compare yourself to others
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by black tea)
It's simple - don't compare yourself to others
Easier said than done
weefergie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I do this all the time and it gets me down, especially as I don’t make as much money as my friends right now and the have more than me 🙃
I try not to think about it to much although it is very difficult
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Be grateful for what you do have. Comparing yourself is a waste of time. Focus on yourself.
PAPYRUS-UK
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

You are certainly not alone in this, we hear from a lot of people whose mental health suffers because of making comparisons to others. Unfortunately it does seem to be a natural human trait to want to compare, but obviously that trait is stronger in some people than it is with others.

It is interesting that people who struggle with this always seem to compare themselves with people they perceive to be 'better' than them. How much time do you spend comparing yourself to people who aren't doing as good as you? Whilst this is definitely not a 'there is always someone worse of than yourself' speech, it might be useful to think of ways that your tendency to compare can actually help you rather than hinder.

If you finished last in the Olympic 100m final, would you compare yourself to the seven people on the entire planet that are fast than you? Or the seven billion or so that are slower than you?
It can actually be useful to do both - compare yourself to the people who finished ahead of you to see what you can do better. But also thinking of all the people you are faster than to keep building your confidence.

Like climbing a mountain, you keep glancing to the top sometimes - to remind you of where you want to be, but its also good to look downs sometimes to give yourself a sense of pride in your achievements so far.

Think about what you really want, then if people are already doing that you can compare - but only to learn from them rather than feeling inferior to.

Hope that makes sense and remember one thing this pandemic has shown is that just because some jobs earn more than others - doesn't mean they are more important.

Socrates.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads