MichaelTheMedic
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,

Back in September 2019, when I was in year 13, I applied for Medicine. Sadly, this year I have been unsuccessful at obtaining a place.

Now I am contemplating whether to take a gap year and reapply for 2021 entry.

However, I would really appreciate any advice or words of encouragement on what activities I may be able to do this year to put towards my application. It is a funny one, considering we are in the midst of COVID-19.

I'm guessing usual activities such as travelling abroad to teach English, temp work, volunteering, etc may not be on the table or hard to achieve.

Is anyone in the same position and does anyone have any advice or words of wisdom during this very difficult time?

Thank you.
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you look on the medicine forums, you might more easily find people in a similar boat?

Typically on med gap years I understand most people do some volunteering, travel, and maybe some shadowing. This year it will definitely be more difficult but you could always try working as a HCA (real life NHS experience), and I know some schools are still looking for gap year students to help out with sports/lessons (as my school keeps emailing me about them!) It's worth having a look before writing stuff off as "not feasible due to COVID".

Good luck, taking a gap year for medicine means you're much more confident at interview, more mature, and have more to discuss, plus you've got experience with UCAT/BMAT - your chances will increase quite a bit I think
jadefn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm not sure if doing any online courses in this subject could help at all, could be a viable option of toher alternatives are hard to find/not happening due to current situation?! https://www.whatuni.com/advice/coron...-course/89592/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (84)
14.46%
I'm not sure (26)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (182)
31.33%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.07%
I'm not a current university student (277)
47.68%

Watched Threads