rakinus
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

I am an EU citizen (Portugal to be precise). I've currently applied for the 2020/2021 UK Masters Loan and I was provided with a "To-do list" in my Student Finance Account which asks me to submit:

- Send us evidence to support your application;
I'll be sending my passport to the requested address in the UK. My question is: When will SFE give my passport back? Couldn't find any information.

- Give us your National Insurance number;
I am still in Portugal and I will be only moving to the UK on 15th September. As I've read, I can only request a NINO if I am in the UK. My question is: Will my application not be considered whilst I don't have a NINO? Or will they provide me with an answer to my application before I provide a NINO as I am an EU student?

- Give us your bank details;
Will they update my status for the application before I provide a UK bank account? I am still in Portugal and need also to be in the UK to create an account.

My main concern is when I'll receive an answer to my application: before or after I provide all these informations to SFE. I want to apply as fast as I can, but I'm not sure how long it will take with all these requests.

Please help me. I am very confused.

It is said on my account: "STATUS: APPLICATION SUBMITTED"
Last edited by rakinus; 3 weeks ago
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rakinus)
Hey,

I am an EU citizen (Portugal to be precise). I've currently applied for 2020/2021 UK Masters Loan and I was provided with a "To-do list" in my Student Finance Account which asks me to submit:

- Send us evidence to support your application;
I'll be sending my passport to the requested address in the UK. My question is: When will SFE give my passport back? Couldn't find any information.

- Give us your National Insurance number;
I am still in Portugal and I'll be only moving to the UK by 15th September. As I've read, I can only request a NINO if I am in the UK. My question is: Will my application not be considered while I don't have a NINO? Or will they provide me with an answer to my application before I provide a NINO as I am an EU student?

- Give us your bank details;
Will they update my status for the application before I provide a UK bank account? I am still in Portugal and also have to be in the UK to create an account.

My main concern is when I'll receive an answer to my application: before or after I provide all these informations to SFE. I want to apply as fast as I can but I'm not sure how long it will take with all these requests.

Please help me. I am very confused.

It is said in my account: "STATUS: APPLICATION SUBMITTED"
Hi there, as an EU National, you only need to send your original ID. We don't need a National Insurance Number and you can provide your bank details in the future, when you arrive in the UK.
Thanks, Isaac
rakinus
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you so much Isaac!
Edop
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Isaac, I’m in the exact same position being an EU national from Ireland . I just checked my sfe application progress online ( submitted via post) it says the exact same things with needing iD , a national insurance number and bank details . When I submitted my application via post I included a photocopy of my passport as proof of my iD. Do I need to send it in physically and to where . I’m very confused . I move into uni in 4 days and I’ll need my passport then to confirm my eligibility as a student in the U.K. what do I do please!? Also says I need an evidence cover letter ? What is that ?
Last edited by Edop; 3 weeks ago
rakinus
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Edop)
Hi Isaac, I’m in the exact same position being an EU national from Ireland . I just checked my sfe application progress online ( submitted via post) it says the exact same things with needing iD , a national insurance number and bank details . When I submitted my application via post I included a photocopy of my passport as proof of my iD. Do I need to send it in physically and to where . I’m very confused . I move into uni in 4 days and I’ll need my passport then to confirm my eligibility as a student in the U.K. what do I do please!? Also says I need an evidence cover letter ? What is that ?
Hi Edop,

Unless you have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, you need to send your original passport (not a photocopy) to the following address for EU students (https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student...-of-identity):

Student Finance Services Non UK Team
Student Finance England
PO Box 89
Darlington
DL1 9AZ

Explain the situation to your university and ask them if you will be able to provide evidence of your eligibility using a photocopy of your passport, as you will need to send it to SFE. On the other hand, you may instead use your original passport to enter the UK first and send it to SFE when you are settled in your accommodation.

Usually, a cover letter refers to a text which showcases your suitability for a university course. However, I am not sure if that is what you need.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (151)
54.91%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.82%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.27%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.45%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.82%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.73%

Watched Threads