Would Turkish GCSE count towards my total GCSE altogether.

Watch
max.leni
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi,

So to do A-Levels at the 6th Form I want to go to you need 8 GCSEs. I completed my Turkish GCSE last year and got an A. Let’s say on results day I get 7 GCSEs will I be able to count the Turkish GCSE with the 7 other GCSEs I received, which will make it 8 GCSEs altogether?
Last edited by max.leni; 4 months ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by max.leni)
Hi,

So to do A-Levels at the 6th Form I want to go to you need 8 GCSEs. I completed my Turkish GCSE last year and got an A. Let’s say on results day I get 7 GCSEs will I be able to count the Turkish GCSE with the 7 other GCSEs I received, which will make it 8 GCSEs altogether?
Is Turkish your first language?
max.leni
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Is Turkish your first language?
Yes
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yes
Unlikely then - universities wont always count it either.
BritishSikhh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
yes it does count towards your GCSE points score which is your A level Target Grade
max.leni
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Unlikely then - universities wont always count it either.
Then what’s the point of schools allowing us to sit those GCSE’s if they’re practically useless?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Then what’s the point of schools allowing us to sit those GCSE’s if they’re practically useless?
Ask your school that!

You really need to ask the school you are applying to whether they will count it.
BritishSikhh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
it counts of course towards your A-level Target Grade
Nevi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi,

I completed my English language GCSE a year before everyone else. It still counts.

As for people saying it doesn’t count, don’t listen, it does. Half of my GCSE French class were French and half French kids living in England. They knew the language, just wanted an easy qualification. It was worth just as much as that earned by non native speakers.

Good luck with 6th form!
MedicWil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Muttley79 is wrong, it will be counted. Every GCSE you do is counted towards your total and universities will count it too

His logic seems to be that because it's your first language then it won't count. However, if that were true then English GCSEs wouldn't count for people born in the UK
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by MedicWil)
Muttley79 is wrong, it will be counted. Every GCSE you do is counted towards your total and universities will count it too

His logic seems to be that because it's your first language then it won't count. However, if that were true then English GCSEs wouldn't count for people born in the UK
Turkish GCSE is a GCSE for people speaking Turkish as a second language. GCSE English is designed for English speaking students.

Not every uni counts it.
melmel2345
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,

yes it does make it 8 GCSEs
Last edited by melmel2345; 4 weeks ago
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There's only fairly specific circumstances (a handful of courses) where your GCSEs are really looked at in any detail. They probably won't care to make the distinction and even if they did, there's no real difference between 7 and 8 GCSEs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.53%
I'm not sure (55)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (348)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (580)
48.7%

Watched Threads