Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I really want to take chemistry at A level but my school don't offer it and I can't get into any others. If I could get an hour of practice a week for the practical side of the course and taught myself the theory would I be able to get a good grade in it? Has anyone else done this before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minnie)
    Hi

I really want to take chemistry at A level but my school don't offer it and I can't get into any others. If I could get an hour of practice a week for the practical side of the course and taught myself the theory would I be able to get a good grade in it? Has anyone else done this before?
    if your school don't offer it where will you take the exams? what syllabus are you going to do? how are you going to conduct any experiments? for something like chemistry might be worthwhile trying to do a side course at a private collage or something.

Chemistry is one of the hardest A-levels, you can certainly try but a tutor would help as some of the concepts can be quite confusing. It really depends on how good you are, what did you get for GCSE chem/science?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm.

It's possible, but alot of the stuff (I found anyway) needs real understanding, especially A2 as this builds on stuff you do at AS and if you've got that wrong you're screwed.

If you're gonna do it - get a private/personal tutor.
    £20-£25 an hour a week or so but it's worth it.
    It will help LOADS to get the stuff you don't understand.

And also, the practical coursework is centre-assessed, so wouldn't you need to do the practical in a school lab with assessors? (Unless you happen to have a burette, NaOH and KMnO4 at home :P)

x

ReputationRep:
    I did well at GCSE (got an A*). I think the school would enter me for the exams but I'm not too sure about all the other points about the syllabus and practical coursework. Can you do
    distance learning courses in Chemistry?

Possibly but I don't know of any...

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a really bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    <Deleted>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minnie)
    I did well at GCSE (got an A*). I think the school would enter me for the exams but I'm not too sure about all the other points about the syllabus and practical coursework. Can you do
    distance learning courses in Chemistry?
    You can, the NEC do one and offer advice on where to do the experiments.
    Alternatively, AQA Chemistry has a "practical exam" option, rather than a "practical coursework", so if you can find somewhere that does that, just hop into that exam.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say no, dont do it. Chemistry is one of the hardest and requires ALOT of understanding, so unless you have a sibling or a parent who has done it before, or is a teacher of the subject or something id say dont bother.

ReputationRep:
    Although I found Chemistry easy, it is quite an unfriendly self-teachable subject. Practicals for a start, how will you do them? I found them to aid understanding a lot.
    Secondly, some of the theory can be quite confusing. Nothing beats someone explaining their understanding so you know where things are going before digging into the details.
    Also consider that generally it's considered one of the hardest A levels and many people struggle with a teacher, it may be a bad choice.

Finally, I found long-distance courses a waste of time. Interaction is key to learning, otherwise we may as well hide ourselves in a library and learn about the world. That's my view though-- it does work for some.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll struggle. But, if you do decide to go for it - it'll take much more work than if you were to do it in a conventional school

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for all your help. I'm gonna try and ring round some of the other schools that are a bit further away from home and find out if they have any places left.

ReputationRep:
    I asked a few days ago about self teaching Biology and the general view was yes, if I put the effort in, although on this thread the view seems completely different. Is it much easier to self teach Biology than Chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    Although my school teaches chemistry, they teach it terribly and i don't say things like that easily. About a month before my first january AS exams when we were giving some past papers to take home and look at i realised very quickly that i knew nothing, or at least near to nothing. Determined at the time to become i doctor (not anymore though) i picked up my OCR Salters chemical ideas and chemical storylines and right from the begining i read through every chapter and answered the questions on paper at home for all of the module. I put in an hour a night maybe slightly more (listening to music and stuff so it wasn't like rushed it was pretty relaxed study) but i did this for the whole month. Not only that i practised all the past papers i could find on the internet and again all at home. When it came to the test and the results came back a while later out of the 50 somthing people who took chemistry there was a ridiculous numbers of U's as in over 20. there were about anough 15 E's and a few D's. I think nobody got a C and a few students got A's (i was one of them along with a few others) and the only reason i didnt get probably a D or an E was because i taught myself almost completly at home and still do in chemistry at the moment.

I admit your situation is different as i did get to do the practicals at school but in the course i did you get a practicals work sheet which pretty much explains whats happening and if your good you can very easily apply your knowledge from the textbook to explain it. A very very good website is www.chemguide.co.uk seriously it's a godsend and explains so well anyone could get it. Only downside is it contains information on EVERY chemistry course in the UK so there is stuff you won't need depending on which course you take. It also explains all the practicals.

If you can get a tutor i'd go for it, i mean you can go striaght to the exam board get the work resources/syllabus and then go to a local sixth form just to take the test, at my school were always getting complete strangers coming in on exam day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamstar)
    I asked a few days ago about self teaching Biology and the general view was yes, if I put the effort in, although on this thread the view seems completely different. Is it much easier to self teach Biology than Chemistry?
    Yes it is easier because Biology at AS requires little understanding to get a decent grade (low A/B). It's more about memorising facts which with time anyone could do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.beth.x)
    Yes it is easier because Biology at AS requires little understanding to get a decent grade (low A/B). It's more about memorising facts which with time anyone could do.
    Oh ok - thanks

ReputationRep:
    no chance dont bother trying

ReputationRep:
    I pretty much taught myself AS chemistry from a text book and got an A. Don't know about A2 though. I did have 'some' teaching but believe me when I say I didn't learn ANYTHING from the teachers, some of the worst I've ever had so ended up learning the textbook back-to-back in the Easter holidays.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt recommend teaching yourself A level chemistry. I mean if you really want to you can with the aid of a tutor but i don't this still would be sufficient enough.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 26, 2008

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.