lucydenise
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

So I’m looking to apply for my Masters in English but am unsure of who I can choose to give my references. I have been out of uni for a few years and out of touch with my lecturers so I don’t feel they would be a great option to ask. I am currently a secondary school teacher and so I was wondering if it’s acceptable to give my SCITT (teacher training) Director as my academic reference and my current head teacher as my employer reference.

Thank you in advance for any help you give, I really am stuck with what to do 🙈
document35
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Contact the master's university that you're applying to - ask them if you can do that! It sounds fine to me to be honest.
Keele University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lucydenise)
Hi everyone,

So I’m looking to apply for my Masters in English but am unsure of who I can choose to give my references. I have been out of uni for a few years and out of touch with my lecturers so I don’t feel they would be a great option to ask. I am currently a secondary school teacher and so I was wondering if it’s acceptable to give my SCITT (teacher training) Director as my academic reference and my current head teacher as my employer reference.

Whilst I don't think there's anything wrong with using someone from your teacher training course as your academic reference (although check with the university you are applying to to be on the safe side), I wouldn't worry about contacting your undergraduate tutor or dissertation supervisor for an academic reference either - chances are they'll remember you and, even if they can't put a face to the name, they'll have records of your academic career at undergraduate level so will be able to pull a reference together for you.

I had an 11 year gap between my BA and my MA and I was still able to get an academic reference from my dissertation supervisor on the BA - I just dropped him a polite email explaining that I was applying to MA, gently reminded him of my BA dissertation project and outlined that I wanted to expand on this for my MA so would appreciate a reference from him if possible. He was more than happy to oblige.

For my other reference, I used my boss - so your current head teacher would probably be your best bet.

Good luck with the application!

Amy
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

Your academic referee needs to advise if you would be able to produce work at Masters level. Your former university is a better route. Even if the teachers who taught you at uni have moved on, there will be a file on you with your module grades and that is what needs to be shared. I am not sure your SCITT is a suitable alternative. If you have a solid 2.2 or higher at UG level it should not be a problem to get on a Masters programme.
lucydenise
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Keele University)
Whilst I don't think there's anything wrong with using someone from your teacher training course as your academic reference (although check with the university you are applying to to be on the safe side), I wouldn't worry about contacting your undergraduate tutor or dissertation supervisor for an academic reference either - chances are they'll remember you and, even if they can't put a face to the name, they'll have records of your academic career at undergraduate level so will be able to pull a reference together for you.

I had an 11 year gap between my BA and my MA and I was still able to get an academic reference from my dissertation supervisor on the BA - I just dropped him a polite email explaining that I was applying to MA, gently reminded him of my BA dissertation project and outlined that I wanted to expand on this for my MA so would appreciate a reference from him if possible. He was more than happy to oblige.

For my other reference, I used my boss - so your current head teacher would probably be your best bet.

Good luck with the application!

Amy
Thank you for replying, I am trying to contact him as my previous uni has a policy where only your provided tutor can produce your reference. I have contacted my dissertation supervisor but as per the uni policy I have to prove I have made every effort to contact my provided tutor before she can produce one for me 😩.

Fingers crossed I’ll be able to get a reference from either.
lucydenise
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
Your academic referee needs to advise if you would be able to produce work at Masters level. Your former university is a better route. Even if the teachers who taught you at uni have moved on, there will be a file on you with your module grades and that is what needs to be shared. I am not sure your SCITT is a suitable alternative. If you have a solid 2.2 or higher at UG level it should not be a problem to get on a Masters programme.
Thank you for replying, I am trying to contact him as my previous uni has a policy where only your provided tutor can produce your reference. I have contacted my dissertation supervisor but as per the uni policy I have to prove I have made every effort to contact my provided tutor before she can produce one for me 😩. I’ve contacted the Uni’s I want to apply to as well but am waiting on a reply so thought I’d ask one here as well to see if anybody else has had this issue.

Keele University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you for replying, I am trying to contact him as my previous uni has a policy where only your provided tutor can produce your reference. I have contacted my dissertation supervisor but as per the uni policy I have to prove I have made every effort to contact my provided tutor before she can produce one for me 😩.

Fingers crossed - it can take a little longer at the moment as a lot of university staff are working from home, juggling childcare etc. If you don't hear back in a week or so, maybe give the admin team in your former department a quick email. I always find the admin team to be really helpful in progressing enquiries like this.

Good luck!

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you want Freshers' Fairs to work this year?

Completely online (9)
14.52%
A mix of in-person and online options (9)
14.52%
As many in-person events as is safe to do (38)
61.29%
I don't plan on attending a Freshers' Fair (6)
9.68%

Watched Threads