username5326946
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hate Maths. Failed in Sciences. Terrible at English Lit even though I was in set 1 throughout secondary. Most likely to get 7-8 GCSEs. My favourite subjects were Sociology and History. I initially wanted to do Sociology, History and Politics but just yesterday they said I can’t do them because Sociology and History are in the same block therefore they would clash and they have removed Politics. So now I’m stuck. I’ve attached a screenshot of the subjects I could pick from (not many) and crossed out the ones I don’t want to do. I’m not really a BTEC person but if I had to pick a BTEC it would be business L3, even though I hated it for GCSE towards the end due the “Finance” bit where it contained a lot of maths. The only subjects I know I want to do is History, I’ve chosen Psychology as an equivalent to Sociology so the 3rd subject is just hanging about. I’m thinking of picking Philosophy as the 3rd subject but worried that it will be too hard with History? I decided of 3 options altogether.

Option 1: Philosophy, History, Psychology
Option 2: Philosophy, Sociology, Psychology
Option 3: BTEC Business, History, Psychology

Every option has its cons for me. Tell me which one you think is the best option. You can also make up another option for me and see which subjects I can pick to choose from. (Only one subject per block.)

Ps. This is my current school’s 6th form. I want to attend it the most since all other colleges/6th forms are bad or not for me.

Name:  8DD85960-57C2-439C-8C37-92067B2639CE.jpg.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  62.0 KB
Last edited by username5326946; 6 months ago
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Either of options one or two would leave you a variety of routes afterwards in terms of uni, if that's what you wanna do.

Have you considered moving school for different options?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Option 1 or move to a different school sixth form or college then you could probably do History, Sociology & one other subject.

Philosophy & Ethics is an interesting subject, not too hard either and goes well with History
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by username5326946)
Hate Maths. Failed in Sciences. Terrible at English Lit even though I was in set 1 throughout secondary. Most likely to get 7-8 GCSEs. My favourite subjects were Sociology and History. I initially wanted to do Sociology, History and Politics but just yesterday they said I can’t do them because Sociology and History are in the same block therefore they would clash and they have removed Politics. So now I’m stuck. I’ve attached a screenshot of the subjects I could pick from (not many) and crossed out the ones I don’t want to do. I’m not really a BTEC person but if I had to pick a BTEC it would be business L3, even though I hated it for GCSE towards the end due the “Finance” bit where it contained a lot of maths. The only subjects I know I want to do is History, I’ve chosen Psychology as an equivalent to Sociology so the 3rd subject is just hanging about. I’m thinking of picking Philosophy as the 3rd subject but worried that it will be too hard with History? I decided of 3 options altogether.

Option 1: Philosophy, History, Psychology
Option 2: Philosophy, Sociology, Psychology
Option 3: BTEC Business, History, Psychology

Every option has its cons for me. Tell me which one you think is the best option. You can also make up another option for me and see which subjects I can pick to choose from. (Only one subject per block.)

Ps. This is my current school’s 6th form. I want to attend it the most since all other colleges/6th forms are bad or not for me.

Name:  8DD85960-57C2-439C-8C37-92067B2639CE.jpg.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  62.0 KB
Hey!

Sorry that you're in this awkward situation. It's such a shame you can't study History, Sociology and Politics, they are exactly what I did at A-Levels and would recommend them! I always suggest taking the subject that you like the most, and not to go with something you dislike, so I think BTEC Business could be the wrong route if you didn't enjoy parts of it as you mentioned. Do you know much about psychology and philosophy and do you think you would enjoy them? I don't think taking both history and philosophy would be too hard for you and if you do find this in the first couple of weeks there could be an opportunity to change. (we had the option in my sixth form)

As someone else has already mentioned, if you are really concerned there is always the option of changing schools, however, that would be a big decision to make.

Hope that helps!

Courtney -- Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.61%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (83)
27.57%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (115)
38.21%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (40)
13.29%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.32%

Watched Threads