Boris Johnsons plane to be rebranded at cost of £900,000

Watch
exams6700
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
The plane used by Boris Johnson and members of the royal family for international travel is being repainted in the colours of the Union flag to "better represent" the UK abroad costing £900,000
Mate i can buy a house at that price
Lib Dem leader said the money would have been better spent on supporting treatments for coronavirus patients
Labour questioned why the government was spending nearly a million pounds "redecorating a plane which in all likelihood has been grounded for months because of the coronavirus"
Whilst ppl around the world are worried about their health, jobs and education, our government is worried about a PLANE!
What's your opinion on the purchase?
tmr19
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by exams6700)
The plane used by Boris Johnson and members of the royal family for international travel is being repainted in the colours of the Union flag to "better represent" the UK abroad costing £900,000
Lib Dem leader said the money would have been better spent on supporting treatments for coronavirus patients
Labour questioned why the government was spending nearly a million pounds "redecorating a plane which in all likelihood has been grounded for months because of the coronavirus"
Whilst ppl around the world are worried about their health, jobs and education, our government is worried about a PLANE!
I think it's a stupid purchase. However, at the same time, Labour and Lib Dem also support countless wastes of money within government, and it's evident they're taking this as an opportunity to stand on a soapbox.
exams6700
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by tmr19)
I think it's a stupid purchase. However, at the same time, Labour and Lib Dem also support countless wastes of money within government, and it's evident they're taking this as an opportunity to stand on a soapbox.
Yeah i mean what is the point of painting it!???
And defoo Lib Dem and Labour taking this opportunity
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Meh as far as government waste goes it seems rather inconsequential...
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You could buy multiple houses with that price.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
it is a great idea. they should incorporate a picture of Sir Winston Churchill in the design too.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You got to admit, the plane looks better now...
Name:  _113099712_hi062131987.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  15.7 KB
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sacking Dominic Cummings and imprisoning Boris Johnson for manslaughter would save the country enough to pay for this many times over, as there would have been fewer deaths and not as many people in hospital with Covid 19.
JOSH4598
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What the media don't tell you is that the £900,000 bill is to repaint the aircraft, as well as refurbish the inside and do a number of significant repairs. The paint job is the cheap part. £900k is probably a reasonably figure given the cost of parts and labour to complete that work.
Last edited by JOSH4598; 1 week ago
Christian12
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Firstly, the costing of the paint didn’t cost 900k. It was the maintenance of the aircraft (which is expensive) and the painting of it too.

I believe it’s not an awful purchase. The UK is one of the most powerful countries within the world and the Queen is probably the most powerful leader in the world (since she’s the monarch of several major countries). She flying to nations in this crusty military plane that looks awful looks downgrading and doesn’t represent the first world country we are. I mean they spend wayyy more on useless items. At least this one we can actually see and has some positives.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JOSH4598)
What the media don't tell you is that the £900,000 bill is to repaint the aircraft, as well as refurbish the inside and do a number of significant repairs. The paint job is the cheap part. £900k is probably a reasonably figure given the cost of parts and labour to complete that work.
The media has been telling people that, but it was the Gov's own release that initially said it was just the cost of the repaint. Which didn't help.

(Original post by tmr19)
It's not a purchase. The aircraft is actually part of a PFI, a great Labour initiative to lose money to the private sector. And the initial idea for a Brand UK jet came from Blair, so Labour haven't got a leg to stand on.

See above. It's not a purchase. It was already contracted to work for the RAF. And it's primary function hasn't changed.

We've also always had 'branded' aircraft for VIPs;
Name:  https___api.thedrive.com_wp-content_uploads_2019_09_cc2-top.jpeg
Size:  108.3 KB
Last edited by Drewski; 1 week ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm not sure why it needs to be so big?
Looks like we're compensating for something
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
I'm not sure why it needs to be so big?
Looks like we're compensating for something
It's a perfectly normal-sized airliner.

For reference, it's an Airbus A330.
Last edited by Drewski; 1 week ago
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
But don't worry guys, think of how much money we can spend on the NHS now that we've left the EU!
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Petty poltiical point scoring.

Why does the the Bojo have a armoured Jaguared XF? Surely it would be far cheaper to have an armoured Ford Ka.
We are talking about pennies here when you are talking about public spending.

The paint job cost 50k - 100k max.
I'm skeptical it ever cost that much. Looks like it was not painted but just decals added.
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We’re all in this together
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by adam271)
Petty poltiical point scoring.

Why does the the Bojo have a armoured Jaguared XF? Surely it would be far cheaper to have an armoured Ford Ka.
We are talking about pennies here when you are talking about public spending.

The paint job cost 50k - 100k max.
I'm skeptical it ever cost that much. Looks like it was not painted but just decals added.
Paint job itself would have cost around 100k. Certifying the paint job with the airline would cost money, as does the reconfiguring the entire cabin from the economy-style seating it did have to a VIP fit - that's where the cost came in.

And no, it was grey previously;
Name:  764405.jpg
Size:  77.9 KB
Anonymous17!
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Christian12)
Firstly, the costing of the paint didn’t cost 900k. It was the maintenance of the aircraft (which is expensive) and the painting of it too.

I believe it’s not an awful purchase. The UK is one of the most powerful countries within the world and the Queen is probably the most powerful leader in the world (since she’s the monarch of several major countries). She flying to nations in this crusty military plane that looks awful looks downgrading and doesn’t represent the first world country we are. I mean they spend wayyy more on useless items. At least this one we can actually see and has some positives.
We could spend that £900,000 on funding our nhs and our education system. Sure, I see the need and appeal for something better to better represent our country. But I think spending that much on maintaining and painting a plane when the world is fully aware of how disastrously overworked and undefined our health care is, and how nearly 1m have lost their jobs. That £900,000 could do a lot more good then making ourselves look like a nice pretty country.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous17!)
We could spend that £900,000 on funding our nhs and our education system. Sure, I see the need and appeal for something better to better represent our country. But I think spending that much on maintaining and painting a plane when the world is fully aware of how disastrously overworked and undefined our health care is, and how nearly 1m have lost their jobs. That £900,000 could do a lot more good then making ourselves look like a nice pretty country.
That £900k will last ~10-15 years by being spent on that plane.
In the NHS it wouldn't last a day.
TJ1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's not as hefty a sum considering the other maintenance and reconfigurations that were carried out on top of painting it's new livery.

Also before having a dedicated state aircraft, the government/royal family had to charter aircraft from British Airways (including Concorde back in the day) for overseas trips which I'm sure became impractical and carried larger costs..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (63)
19.27%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (70)
21.41%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (61)
18.65%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (69)
21.1%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (32)
9.79%
I haven't started researching yet (32)
9.79%

Watched Threads