vetmed112
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
what would an A grade at advanced subsidiary year be alongside a D at advanced year equal overall at a level? I'm asking because I'm still unclear and considering ordering new certificates....
would it be a B or C (given that the A was quite high)
edit: as year 2008, a2 year 2009
Last edited by vetmed112; 5 months ago
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
This was a while ago (and before the introduction of the A*) and I can't remember the details for certain but it is all to do with your total UMS. I'm pretty sure all A levels had a max UMS of 600 then. An A at AS would have been anywhere between 240 and 300 UMS. They never issued grades for the A2 as it's not a qualification in its own right so I'm not sure where your D is coming from. But all you need to do is add up the marks from your best attempt at all 6 units (the 3 at AS and the 3 at A2) and see what it gets you:
480 or more - A
420-479 - B
360-419 - C
300-359 - D
vetmed112
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
This was a while ago (and before the introduction of the A*) and I can't remember the details for certain but it is all to do with your total UMS. I'm pretty sure all A levels had a max UMS of 600 then. An A at AS would have been anywhere between 240 and 300 UMS. They never issued grades for the A2 as it's not a qualification in its own right so I'm not sure where your D is coming from. But all you need to do is add up the marks from your best attempt at all 6 units (the 3 at AS and the 3 at A2) and see what it gets you:
480 or more - A
420-479 - B
360-419 - C
300-359 - D
thanks - how would i find out about the individual marks? i don't have a record of them ( i think) would i have to apply for new certificates?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by vetmed112)
thanks - how would i find out about the individual marks? i don't have a record of them ( i think) would i have to apply for new certificates?
If you have a certificate for the A level then applying for another isn't going to change the grade. Are you saying you don't have an A level certificate at all? (I still don't understand how you know/think you got a D at A2 but don't know your unit grades - it makes no sense to me). If so, do you know why not?

• Did you fail to collect it from the centre where you took the exams? If so they they might still have it so you could try asking them.
  • Or was the A level was never cashed in? (That's just an admin process where the centre asks the exam board to add up the marks and calculate the grade) then it is probably too late. The deadline for doing this for A levels prior to 2010 was in 2011 or 2012.
vetmed112
Rep:
?
i just have a certificate in 4 subjects saying something along the lines of (depending on exam board)

general certificate of education

advanced subsidiary - A - 2008 *one certificate
advanced - D - 2009 * second certificate
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i just have a certificate in 4 subjects saying something along the lines of (depending on exam board)

general certificate of education

advanced subsidiary - A - 2008 *one certificate
advanced - D - 2009 * second certificate
In that case your overall A level, combining the AS and A2 marks, is a D.
vetmed112
Rep:
?
thanks
vetmed112
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
In that case your overall A level, combining the AS and A2 marks, is a D.
im still confused...
so at as i got say A and at a2 (or advanced as it says on my certificate) i got C

is that 80% + 60 % / 2 for the final grade = B?

or just a C because it says (advanced - C)

Thanks

edit:- this is because of the 300 UMS for each year (as counting towards the 600 + a2)
Last edited by vetmed112; 4 months ago
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
im still confused...
so at as i got say A and at a2 (or advanced as it says on my certificate) i got C

is that 80% + 60 % / 2 for the final grade = B?

or just a C because it says (advanced - C)

Thanks

edit:- this is because of the 300 UMS for each year (as counting towards the 600 + a2)
The thing you need to understand is that A2 is the second half of A level, it does not exist as a qualification on its own and so you can't have a certificate for it. The certificate you have that says Advanced is for the entire A level (calculated from a max of 300 from AS and 300 from A2, i.e. 600 in total)
vetmed112
Rep:
?
The thing you need to understand is that A2 is the second half of A level, it does not exist as a qualification on its own and so you can't have a certificate for it. The certificate you have that says Advanced is for the entire A level (calculated from a max of 300 from AS and 300 from A2, i.e. 600 in total)
ok thanks for help
vetmed112
Rep:
?
so does that mean: where it says (ADVANCED- D) - as with AQA - (ADVANCED SUBSIDIARY-A) (it's on one certificate btw)
I got D over the two years or a C

Basically i just need to know what to put down as my result over the two years, so that i can say i got D in my a levels etc.

I know im going on but this whole exam grade thing with AS and A2 and overall a levels being only given on certificate has confused me
Last edited by vetmed112; 4 months ago
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You have a D as your A level certificate says. I don't know how many more ways I can say that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (94)
28.31%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.25%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.94%
No - I live at home during term anyway (99)
29.82%

Watched Threads