The Student Room Group

LSE Law Application Chances

Hello All,

I am interested in applying for Law at the LSE, however, I doubt my application is strong enough. My GCSE's are the main issue as they are not that good.

GCSEs- 8777766555
A Level Predicted- Atleast A*AA maybe A*A*A.

Is it true that LSE don't look at the LNAT essay at all. Also. what LNAT score would I need to put forward a strong application and compensate for my GCSEs?
Your overall GCSE profile meets the minimum requirements (the LSE LLB course asks for ‘several’ GCSEs at 7, 8 or 9, which you have).

Additionally, LSE requires at least a 6 in Maths and English language. Did you get at least a 6 in those subjects?

It’s also worth noting that LSE is very big on contextual admissions - they will look at your GCSE grades in the context in which you achieved them. So if you attend an underperforming state school, they could well look extremely favourably at the results you achieved.
Reply 2
Original post by LeapingLucy
Your overall GCSE profile meets the minimum requirements (the LSE LLB course asks for ‘several’ GCSEs at 7, 8 or 9, which you have).

Additionally, LSE requires at least a 6 in Maths and English language. Did you get at least a 6 in those subjects?

It’s also worth noting that LSE is very big on contextual admissions - they will look at your GCSE grades in the context in which you achieved them. So if you attend an underperforming state school, they could well look extremely favourably at the results you achieved.

Yea, I got above a 6 in both Maths and Eng Lang. However, I went to a very good private school so my grades are pretty bad.
Original post by Anonymous
However, I went to a very good private school so my grades are pretty bad.

It’s not ideal, but even so, there’s no harm in applying - it’s only one out of five choices.

Ideally, you should have two aspirational choices, two realistic and one insurance, so LSE can be one of your ‘aspirational’ applications. It might work out, it might not, but you won’t know unless you try.
Reply 4
Original post by LeapingLucy
It’s not ideal, but even so, there’s no harm in applying - it’s only one out of five choices.

Ideally, you should have two aspirational choices, two realistic and one insurance, so LSE can be one of your ‘aspirational’ applications. It might work out, it might not, but you won’t know unless you try.

What sorta LNAT score should I be getting?
Original post by Anonymous
What sorta LNAT score should I be getting?

I don’t know, sorry, I’m not a law student.
If you look through the 2020 applicants thread though (you can search LNAT to see the relevant posts) you might be able to get an idea of the sort of scores successful applicants get.
@Euphoria101 any advice for OP? (I assume you applied for LSE :biggrin:)
Original post by PetitePanda
@Euphoria101 any advice for OP? (I assume you applied for LSE :biggrin:)

Omg I did apply and got rejected for a bad ps😂😂

But OP: your GCSEs are below average for a LSE Law offer holder. However, the biggest thing to LSE is the PS and I think you should definitely apply. What A-Level subjects do you do?

I don’t have much advice really, but from now on I’d focus on the ps and LNAT. While LSE don’t use the LNAT heavily in their admissions process, it’s definitely a bonus to have a good score!

The score depends on the average score of the entire cohort. But aiming for around 23/34 would be good. That’s kind of a generalisation though.

There are people who have gotten in with ‘lower’ (they’re not bad by any means, just not average compared with offer holders) GCSEs when they have had a great personal statement and LNAT score:smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
There is some infomation and advice about the LNAT on last years LNAT thread

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6116192
Original post by Euphoria101
Omg I did apply and got rejected for a bad ps😂😂

But OP: your GCSEs are below average for a LSE Law offer holder. However, the biggest thing to LSE is the PS and I think you should definitely apply. What A-Level subjects do you do?

I don’t have much advice really, but from now on I’d focus on the ps and LNAT. While LSE don’t use the LNAT heavily in their admissions process, it’s definitely a bonus to have a good score!

The score depends on the average score of the entire cohort. But aiming for around 23/34 would be good. That’s kind of a generalisation though.

There are people who have gotten in with ‘lower’ (they’re not bad by any means, just not average compared with offer holders) GCSEs when they have had a great personal statement and LNAT score:smile:

For A level I do Politics, Economics and History. And tbh I have been told my my teachers that my PS of a very high standard.
Hi! I've applied to LSE. I've legal work experience at three firms (student intern), Im the school president, have 9a* in igcse, have a A*A*A predicted, school football team captain and athlete of the year for ny school. I think my lnat went well, however I'm not sure why exactly I got rejected preinterview from Oxford. I've referred my ps with 5 seniors who got into lse for law and incorporated their inputs Anyone has any idea whether my application is competitive?
Original post by Lawwapplicant101
Im the school president, school football team captain and athlete of the year for ny school.

Did you talk about this stuff a lot in your PS?

Because it’s not relevant, and shouldn’t take up more than a couple of sentences max.

LSE/Oxbridge only care about extra-curriculars related to your subject - they’re very different to top American universities in this regard.
Hi! I've applied to LSE. I've legal work experience at three firms (student intern), Im the school president, have 9a* in igcse, have a A*A*A predicted, school football team captain and athlete of the year for ny school. I think my lnat went well, however I'm not sure why exactly I got rejected preinterview from Oxford. I've referred my ps with 5 seniors who got into lse for law and incorporated their inputs Anyone has any idea whether my application is competitive?

hiya i've also applied to LSE for law, and ur application is competitive fs. I heard oxford barely touches the ps and some don't even look at it. Do u know if anyone else from ur school applied for law w better grades, that could be it?
Reply 13

It's possible that your LNAT score may have been lower than you expected. Also, if you included football team captain/athlete of the year on your PS, then Oxford won't have taken it into account. They don't care about extracurriculars unless it's specific to the subject you're applying for. It could be either or both of this.

As for OP, I do think that if you really pattern your personal statement and get a good LNAT score (imo, 26 or higher will be enough to compensate) then you have a chance. Realistically, your GCSEs will be below average so you will need to do well in other areas in order to have a chance at a place.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi everyone! I've given the first 70% of my personal statement to legal internships, legal research, law summits and extra curriculars such as debating MUN and connected that with analytical skills and debating. Thereafter, I gave about 5-10% of it to skills which are not directly pertaining to law but do help in the uni life like leadership experiences. And in the last 20-25% I gave it to why I wanted to study law in the UK in particular (since I'm an international student).
Also oxford doesn't look at the ps before rejecting applicants preinterview? I've also heard that the lnat requirements for international students are higher. So I was averaging about 33 in mocks on the official website, but I felt my lnat wasn't as good probably 26-27. However I felt my essay was really strong as I had written one on the same topic and gotten itbchecked previously. Also, Since I'm an international student, I actually dint give the gcses, I gave an Indian central board examination for grade 10 and I averaged a 96-97% which is a top 1-5% ranking in the country. And I have a predicted that's comfortably meeting course requirements by 5%. So hopefully everything goes well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending