stillcrying
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
For kinetic energy, potential energy and internal energy, write increase, decrease or no change:

'Water at 0 degrees Celsius changing to ice at -15 degrees Celsius.'

Does the kinetic energy decrease and potential energy increase? Where does that leave internal energy?
Aung
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Internal energy (also known as thermal energy) is the sum of KE and PE of all the molecules in that substance.

Water freezes at 0 degree.

During the freezing process, internal energy decreases. Kinetic energy of molecules remain constant, so temperature remains constant. Molecular potential energy decreases.

After freezing, internal energy decreases. Kinetic energy decreases. So temperature decreases further.
stillcrying
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Aung)
Internal energy (also known as thermal energy) is the sum of KE and PE of all the molecules in that substance.

Water freezes at 0 degree.

During the freezing process, internal energy decreases. Kinetic energy of molecules remain constant, so temperature remains constant. Molecular potential energy decreases.

After freezing, internal energy decreases. Kinetic energy decreases. So temperature decreases further.
Thank you very much for explaining. I understand now!
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
There are some inaccuracies to what Aung had said in post #2.

In general, the internal energy of a system is NOT the same as thermal energy. Thermal energy is part of the internal energy of a system. In some simple system, they are the same.
It is best that you check with the syllabus to see how thermal energy and internal energy are defined.

Temperature is related to the average kinetic energy per particle NOT the total kinetic energy of the particles in the system. In some cases where the total KE of the particles increases but the temperature can decrease.
Aung
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Idk. I thought they were the same in A level syllabus
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (592)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads