The Student Room Group

In my late twenties and planning to not wear a hijab anymore!

I've never wanted to wear a hijab. I was forced to wear it by a parent when I was a kid. Now I'm in my late twenties and the parent who forced is no longer around, my other parent doesn't care if I wear it or not, my sisters no longer wear it, I wish I was as brave as them they are sill in touch with people from the past who know they used to wear a hijab. It's my choice, I'm graduating from uni this year (I know I started uni later than most people) and plan on not wearing a hijab after graduating. I only wear it when I go out anyway. I just don't feel the need to wear it. I dress modestly and that isn't going to change after I take the hijab off. I've wanted to not wear it for years but I was worried about what others would say like at college then uni. They'd be like she used to wear a hijab and now she doesn't etc. I don't care what people think but i don't want to be talked about like that. That's why I'm waiting to graduate first. I won't ever see anyone from school, college or uni again because I'm not keeping in touch with anyone.

I'm just worried, I'm a germaphobe and don't want people breathing/coughing on my hair in public or touching my hair and I also have a short hairline by my forehead which makes it look longer than it actually is. I do have fringes that I cut myself. I kind of messed it up. I'm waiting to grow them out and get them my hair cut professionally from the hairdressers when they're open.

I'm so nervous, the last time i didn't wear a hijab in public was in primary school which was over 15 years ago. I just don't feel the need to wear a scarf, I can be modest without it. I'm also worried about people staring at me. Now I wear a hijab and get so many people staring at me, especially guys. I'm worried I'll get even more attention than I already do. I don't get what is so fascinating about me. I'm just average looking not extremely pretty like they're acting like.

I just don't feel a connection or anything with wearing a hijab, I just feel like I'm being restricted with it. I don't wear it for religious reasons anyway, I was forced to and kept wearing it cos of being a germaphobe, anxiety and I'm an introvert. The hijab made helped to hide and be invisible to others. I know I need to change that especially if I want to meet someone some day which I haven't ever yet. I can't hide behind the hijab anymore. I need to let it go.

Scroll to see replies

You go for it. Most people wont be near your hair tbh unless your on the tube. Be confident and go with it. Why dont you try other hairstyles that keep your hair away from others and try go out during nights.

Good luck
Heres what I see repeatedly "I dont need to wear it" and "But I (reason) without it"

I see a woman who is unsure...

Please do as you please but at least make up your mind...
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Heres what I see repeatedly "I dont need to wear it" and "But I (reason) without it"

I see a woman who is unsure...

Please do as you please but at least make up your mind...

I'm sure. I will definitely stop wearing it once I've graduated, I'm just really nervous
Reply 4
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
You go for it. Most people wont be near your hair tbh unless your on the tube. Be confident and go with it. Why dont you try other hairstyles that keep your hair away from others and try go out during nights.

Good luck

Thanks
I'm sure. I will definitely stop wearing it once I've graduated, I'm just really nervous

Well in that case... just put it on but loosely at first... and then let your forehead be visible... then slowly when you are okay with it.. let it come off?

Is it because you think you dress modestly or are you moving away from religion? Just asking btw
Reply 6
Well in that case... just put it on but loosely at first... and then let your forehead be visible... then slowly when you are okay with it.. let it come off?

Is it because you think you dress modestly or are you moving away from religion? Just asking btw

I'm not moving away from religion, I just don't believe in covering my head when I've never wanted to. Muslim men are supposed to cover their hair too but most of them don't so why do I have to just because I'm a woman?
I'm not moving away from religion, I just don't believe in covering my head when I've never wanted to. Muslim men are supposed to cover their hair too but most of them don't so why do I have to just because I'm a woman?

Muslim men don't have to cover their hair, many wear a hat to the mosque as part of their culture.

Btw I'm in the same boat as you, but Im starting university soon so won't be seeing anyone I know. I'm hoping my family won't find out that I no longer wear it since I'll be the only one in the family who doesn't and I don't think they'll understand.

Sorry that just seems irrational to me. Other muslims drink too, so why cant I do it? Other muslims are extremists too. so why cant I be them? Is the same as saying "Muslim men dont cover up, so why should I?" Think of something better hun

I aint muslim, but you need to think of a better excuse to convince yourself.
Reply 9
Sorry that just seems irrational to me. Other muslims drink too, so why cant I do it? Other muslims are extremists too. so why cant I be them? Is the same as saying "Muslim men dont cover up, so why should I?" Think of something better hun

I aint muslim, but you need to think of a better excuse to convince yourself.

I don't want to wear it, I don't need an excuse. Why should I keep on wearing it when it's going to make me unhappy? Nowhere in Islam does it say it is compulsory for a woman to wear a hijab. It's just a cultural thing for modesty, strict parents act as if it is compulsory when it isn't and force their daughters to wear it.
Muslim men don't have to cover their hair, many wear a hat to the mosque as part of their culture.

Btw I'm in the same boat as you, but Im starting university soon so won't be seeing anyone I know. I'm hoping my family won't find out that I no longer wear it since I'll be the only one in the family who doesn't and I don't think they'll understand.

Women don't have to cover their hair either. Nowhere in Islam does it say women must wear a hijab on her head.
Beware of zealots.
I've never wanted to wear a hijab. I was forced to wear it by a parent when I was a kid. Now I'm in my late twenties and the parent who forced is no longer around, my other parent doesn't care if I wear it or not, my sisters no longer wear it, I wish I was as brave as them they are sill in touch with people from the past who know they used to wear a hijab. It's my choice, I'm graduating from uni this year (I know I started uni later than most people) and plan on not wearing a hijab after graduating. I only wear it when I go out anyway. I just don't feel the need to wear it. I dress modestly and that isn't going to change after I take the hijab off. I've wanted to not wear it for years but I was worried about what others would say like at college then uni. They'd be like she used to wear a hijab and now she doesn't etc. I don't care what people think but i don't want to be talked about like that. That's why I'm waiting to graduate first. I won't ever see anyone from school, college or uni again because I'm not keeping in touch with anyone.

I'm just worried, I'm a germaphobe and don't want people breathing/coughing on my hair in public or touching my hair and I also have a short hairline by my forehead which makes it look longer than it actually is. I do have fringes that I cut myself. I kind of messed it up. I'm waiting to grow them out and get them my hair cut professionally from the hairdressers when they're open.

I'm so nervous, the last time i didn't wear a hijab in public was in primary school which was over 15 years ago. I just don't feel the need to wear a scarf, I can be modest without it. I'm also worried about people staring at me. Now I wear a hijab and get so many people staring at me, especially guys. I'm worried I'll get even more attention than I already do. I don't get what is so fascinating about me. I'm just average looking not extremely pretty like they're acting like.

I just don't feel a connection or anything with wearing a hijab, I just feel like I'm being restricted with it. I don't wear it for religious reasons anyway, I was forced to and kept wearing it cos of being a germaphobe, anxiety and I'm an introvert. The hijab made helped to hide and be invisible to others. I know I need to change that especially if I want to meet someone some day which I haven't ever yet. I can't hide behind the hijab anymore. I need to let it go.

Go for it! Do what makes you happy. That is the most important thing ❤️
It literally takes common sense to understand this... so youre telling me that this "hijab" is Indonesian, Egyptian, Saudi, Pakistani, Sudanese etc. culture? you want me (an atheist) to believe that? So you think you are the smartest woman out there to have removed it while Muslim women in the west are just following culture...

One needs common sense to understand that there is a reason you wont share with us but none of what you said can convince you.

If you want to take it off, then by all means please do! But you dont need to post it here telling other Muslim men and women that you are doing so and you dont need to brag about it or publicise it!

I dont see another reason as to why you might post such a useless post!

Why so rude? All a bit unnecessary.
Original post by lsc2002
Why so rude? All a bit unnecessary.

What is the purpose of this threat apart from starting a fued between muslim extremists and the rest??
Good job, do what makes you comfortable :h:
What is the purpose of this threat apart from starting a fued between muslim extremists and the rest??

Advice on the germaphobe thing? Just to vent? What was the purpose of your posts other than to drag down another user?

Muslim men aren't supposed to cover their hair!
You are confused with your information. Women are not men.
Its your freemind thinking and confused facts. Learn your religion before speaking.

Dont compare yourself with other gender. It isn't compulsory that if they don't do you don't do either.

It isn't just because you're a woman and FYI I'm a woman too.
Original post by lsc2002
Advice on the germaphobe thing? Just to vent? What was the purpose of your posts other than to drag down another user?

Telling that user that their post is of no use.

I have seen posts like this one. The only purpose of it is to start a fued between muslim extremists and the rest!

she goes "I dont want to wear it!" then " I dont feel comfortable without it"

it shows me that she cant make up her mind and she wants an argument here!

Work on it slowly if it’s something your not used to by maybe having a light scarf on at first then slowly transitioning, it’s up to you and your relationship with god no one else can determine that and not wearing a hijab doesn’t make you any less religious, do what your comfortable with and don’t let others comments get to you about your choice in the matter

Quick Reply

Latest